News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Re: Most Recognizeable Club Logos in Golf?
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 07:08:59 AM »
How recognizeable is this? By people in and out of the golf worlds?

I don't like the graphic, but it has a lot of cut-through...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
Re: the wordless logo, here's the way I see it:

Say I meet someone somewhere by chance and he or she is wearing a shirt with what is clearly a golf course logo.  If it looks interesting to me and there are no words to mark it, I'm almost definitely going to politely ask what logo it is, which will lead to at least a brief chat during which we discover a mutual love of the game.  If there are words with the logo, the entré is obscured, that conversation never happens and neither of us is any the better for it.

If I'm the operator of a public facility like Tobacco Road, I want to at least give people the option of wearing a hat with just my logo, which I know is a distinctive one, because I trust it could be a conversation piece.  On top of that, the "naked" logo look lends an air of exclusivity (without pretense, I'd argue) to the item, which increases perceived value.

If anything, I would put some distance between the logo and the words, if no one will budge on that.  On a shirt, maybe put the club name on the sleeve and on a hat, put the club name on the back or side of the hat.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Foley

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
How recognizeable is this? By people in and out of the golf worlds?

I don't like the graphic, but it has a lot of cut-through...

Huge fan of this Great White Shark Logo - it is simple - it's bold and it's morph's (from the bold version you show to the simple outline on the newer items.

I think it's 100% recognizable by folks in the golf biz - how could it not be.
Integrity in the moment of choice

David Cronheim

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
Re: the wordless logo, here's the way I see it:

Say I meet someone somewhere by chance and he or she is wearing a shirt with what is clearly a golf course logo.  If it looks interesting to me and there are no words to mark it, I'm almost definitely going to politely ask what logo it is, which will lead to at least a brief chat during which we discover a mutual love of the game.  If there are words with the logo, the entré is obscured, that conversation never happens and neither of us is any the better for it.

If I'm the operator of a public facility like Tobacco Road, I want to at least give people the option of wearing a hat with just my logo, which I know is a distinctive one, because I trust it could be a conversation piece.  On top of that, the "naked" logo look lends an air of exclusivity (without pretense, I'd argue) to the item, which increases perceived value.

If anything, I would put some distance between the logo and the words, if no one will budge on that.  On a shirt, maybe put the club name on the sleeve and on a hat, put the club name on the back or side of the hat.

Tim, I think you've struck on something there. Some clubs have logoed merchandise both with and without words. Chechessee Creek comes to mind. They have the feather logo on some belts and hats, but also has the logo surrounded by the circle of "CHECHESSEE CREEK GOLF CLUB" text in others. Perhaps the answer is have a logo that looks good in 2 forms, one with and one without text.

It seems the consensus is that, generally, people do not like text when that text is incorporated inartfully into the logo itself. When it accompanies an otherwise good logo, people are more accepting, but may still choose the logo without the text.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
I too prefer an icon without words, however I think there is a huge market for the logos with the club/course names.  You think the guy who just dropped a mortgage payment for a few days at Pebble/Pinehurst, Kiawah, etc. does not want to make sure the world knows he in fact played there?  Might has well have some shirts with blinking lights.  I doubt they care about being "In the Know" with just a tree on their Peter Millar. 

I have friends who scoffed at a Peachtree shoe bag because the logo was too small and that had no interest in Seminole shirts sans the "Seminole" script.  It seems subtlety is rapidly vanishing from the American landscape. 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »
I too prefer an icon without words, however I think there is a huge market for the logos with the club/course names.  You think the guy who just dropped a mortgage payment for a few days at Pebble/Pinehurst, Kiawah, etc. does not want to make sure the world knows he in fact played there?  Might has well have some shirts with blinking lights.  I doubt they care about being "In the Know" with just a tree on their Peter Millar. 

I have friends who scoffed at a Peachtree shoe bag because the logo was too small and that had no interest in Seminole shirts sans the "Seminole" script.  It seems subtlety is rapidly vanishing from the American landscape. 

Mark--

It must be vanishing indeed. I would have guessed the "guy who just dropped a mortgage payment" at PB would rather give himself the opportunity to declare to a member of the unwashed "Oh, this logo? Oh, you know, it's just a little token of my trip to Pebble a few weeks/months/years ago. Really mint place. Those mansions on the golf course are gorgeous."  But you are probably right that most would prefer to make it explicit.

David--

Interesting about Chechessee Creek.  I'd be curious to know what their sales breakdown is between same-price "worded" and "wordless" logoed merchandise.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David Cronheim

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
Tim,

I'll see if I can't find some sales figures before and after our logo change. Obviously, I prefer the new one, but then again I helped design it so I'm biased.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »

If some guy goes and plays his weekly skins game with a hat with a giant steer skull on it, someone might think it was a ranching company or the local AA baseball team. But if it says TOBACCO ROAD in prominent print, then it's free advertising.

As for merchandise at a private Strantz design...

At Bulls Bay they sell merchandise with and without the text. 

I bought a white hat without the text, just the steer skull. The most common comment I receive about the hat? "What year did you graduate from Texas?"

I don't mind.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Cristian

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
From my neck of the woods:

Best 19th century:

Best 20th Century:

Best 21st Century:

others:

My favourites: Maidstone, Bethpage, Rye

Modern: Kapalua

Most hideous: Blue Monster
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:35:06 PM by Cristian Willaert »

rjsimper

« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »
New nomination for worst logo I have ever seen. ::shiver::

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »
Self correction - the RDGC logo is a green bordered shield with a golden tiger holding a horseshoe in the center.

John,
if it's Dornoch you're referencing, that ain't no Tiger - that's a Scottish Wildcat. Very rare beast, but more common in the unpopulated areas of the Highlands.
cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
A logo I saw on another site that is great...interestingly enough I couldn't find info the club on a google search.

It's not in the most recognizeable club but in my mind it's a winner in the best category.

Sean Leary

« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
A logo I saw on another site that is great...interestingly enough I couldn't find info the club on a google search.

It's not in the most recognizeable club but in my mind it's a winner in the best category.

It's clever, anyway...

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Perhaps not the most recognizable per say, but I thought I'd post it anyway ... since I'm not seeing it yet on this thread.

Hint: Josh had something to do with this version...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Blake Conant

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
No mention of Sand Hills yet?  Simple, yet indicates a sense of place (cow branding)

Niall Hay

« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
Perhaps not the most recognizable per say, but I thought I'd post it anyway ... since I'm not seeing it yet on this thread.

Cal Club

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

I played with one of the asst. pros there about two months ago... he was sporting apparel featuring a logo of just the bear with 1918 under it.  Liked it for its simplicity.

Derrick Vest

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
Finally, someone mentions Sand Hills.  One of my favorites, for sure. 
 I like Congressional's logo a little bit.

I also like Wequetonsing Golf Club's logo, golfer lining up behind a tree.  Classic.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back