News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Difficulty of the nines ???
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
 8) ;D

As an operator , I'm strongly convinced that the golf course should be fun .  It equals dollars to your bottom line . Given this , I'm struck by an affinity by many to make the back nine harder than the front , particularly the finishing holes .   Bad idea that makes for trunk slamming and less revenue at the 19th hole. ..   What say you ?

Paul Gray

Re: Difficulty of the nines ??? New
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
Whilst I'd always suggest the land should be your guide, TOC and many others have done perfectly well over the years with less than intimidating closing holes. I always think, all else being equal, that the 17th should be where the golfer has to take a deep breath and face the final big hurdle, at least for those of us that play the game for fun.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:17:25 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Matthew Rose

Re: Difficulty of the nines ???
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
There seems to be an obsession or an unwritten rule that the 18th must undoubtedly be the most difficult hole on the course and it must be tricked up to do so.... hence it's often a long par four with water... it's become a cliche. Even Dye can't stop doing it.

In the case of tournament golf there might be some cause for that, particularly in majors when the pressure of having to par a stupidly difficult final hole presents itself.

On a recreational level, I'd much rather have a hole you can birdie at the end, although I don't suggest a pushover by any means. I think more heroic and strategic and less punishment is in order.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

archie_struthers

Re: Difficulty of the nines ???
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
 ;D 8)

I'm with you men !  Strategic works better than heroic on 18 for me .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back