News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Westward Ho! The oldest course in England - with pics.
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
Given the disagreements on previous threads it is with some trepidation that I start a new thread on Royal North Devon at Westward Ho! The oldest course in England, it is on common land meaning the course is shared with hundreds of sheep and wild horses. Conditioning inevitably suffers as a result. The greens are very slow and I struggled all day to hole anything and get distance right on longer putts - in contrast to Saunton the next day where I couldn't miss.

Without doing a full review as this has been covered previously, I will just say that I enjoyed the round enormously - and that is the most important criteria as far as I'm concerned. Holes 3-8 are absolutely fantastic links holes. Other holes are flatter but, given previous threads on the subject, had much more definition than I was expecting. It was only on 13 where I felt like I was playing in a big field and even that hole had an excellent raised green.

I was lucky to join 2 members who showed me the way round - I can imagine it being a bit confusing if you are on your own for the first time. My wife walked round with me and took a number of the photos below. She seemed obsessed with taking photos of sheep. The battery started to die so there is only a full tour to the 8th. After that I have just posted random photos of the other holes to give a feel.

1st - 478 yd par 5

2nd - 422 yd par 4

3rd - start of a great stretch 421 yd par 4

4th - famous cape bunker that I seem to have deleted the photo of! 350 yd par 4

Hole 5 - 136 yd par 3

The famous 6th - 408 yd par 4

7th - 400 yd par 4

8th - 193 yd par 3.

The remainder of the photos are random photos of the course as we had to save the camera battery. They are in hole order however.

The field on the 13th:

But with a great raised green

16 with the Cape bunker in the background

Other random photos:

Would I like to play it every day. Definitely not.

Will I go back. Definitely
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:35:46 PM by Ed Tilley »

Thomas Dai

Re: Westward Ho! The oldest course in England - with pics.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
Thank you Ed and well done to Mrs T for her photography. Lot's of angles I've not seen in previous photos of RND-WH!

This one across 3 greens is particularly fine and indicates nicely how the height of a links course can change with the relative closeness to the sea, which is sometimes not so easy to notice when you're walking parallel to it and at the same time concentrating on the next shot.

By the way, was this shot played along the ground or through the air? :)

atb

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Interesting Doak dumped this course from the Gourmet's Choice. Maybe he got tired of the bitching from readers/posters. Maybe the other 3 raters shouted him down.

Also interesting you selected 3-8 as the stretch to remember. I've seen others try to make the claim it's 6-12. Oh well, if people can't agree on what's best then probably none of it is worth seeing. Another example of this is the 10th, which is one of the greatest par 4s I've ever played but more respected people than me call it a crappy hole (or at best of average merit). So chunk that one in the heap, too.

But where are my manners? Ed, many thanks for posting pics of at least some of the course. People can look at these pics and decide if it's worth taking the major detour off the beaten path required and stealing a round from places like The Blessed St Enodoc.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Thank you Ed and well done to Mrs T for her photography. Lot's of angles I've not seen in previous photos of RND-WH!

This one across 3 greens is particularly fine and indicates nicely how the height of a links course can change with the relative closeness to the sea, which is sometimes not so easy to notice when you're walking parallel to it and at the same time concentrating on the next shot.

By the way, was this shot played along the ground or through the air? :)

atb

I saw that photo and told her that was the perfect photo of RND. She said "It's just a couple of flags and some sheep".

I refuse to be constrained in my shotmaking to just ground or air. Very much like Seve I invent new shots. This one was meant to land on the bank, kick right and settle by the pin. In reality it hit the bank, went straight on and through the green.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
Interesting Doak dumped this course from the Gourmet's Choice. Maybe he got tired of the bitching from readers/posters. Maybe the other 3 raters shouted him down.

Also interesting you selected 3-8 as the stretch to remember. I've seen others try to make the claim it's 6-12. Oh well, if people can't agree on what's best then probably none of it is worth seeing. Another example of this is the 10th, which is one of the greatest par 4s I've ever played but more respected people than me call it a crappy hole (or at best of average merit). So chunk that one in the heap, too.

But where are my manners? Ed, many thanks for posting pics of at least some of the course. People can look at these pics and decide if it's worth taking the major detour off the beaten path required and stealing a round from places like The Blessed St Enodoc.

Hi Mark,

I can't believe anyone thinks either of 9 or 12 is better than any of 3-5. I also thought 10 was excellent. 10 and 16 were the standout back nine holes for me. I was wary of visiting it given the criticism it's had on this site. In the end I thought I'd go and make my own mind up. I'm glad I did. Is it better than St.. Enodoc - of course not . But few courses are.

Ed

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
Ed,

thanks for the interesting tour and I am glad you enjoyed the game there.

I have always thought that the sort of low lying undulating terrain such as found at this course offer some of the best playing challenges to be found. The problem is that it requires a person to have the ability to look at the pure playing experience rather than all the packaging and blurb of scenery, AWESOME views and boutique clubhouses. Westward Ho is the sort of course who's true charm is unlocked with repeat playing.

Jon

Paul Gray

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
Ed,

Excellent stuff. Thanks greatly for providing it. As Jon alludes to, I suspect it only really shines when you play it over and over again.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Ed - thanks very much. That's my first real look at Westward Ho, and since I've never had the old (and haven't yet received my new) Confidential Guide, I've not read much about it either. I think it looks grand -- and, with your thread title in my mind as I looked through the photos, I found myself thinking: "Yes, I can certainly see how Westward is the essential "root" from which so much perennially good English golf has sprung.

Peter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
So here we have Westward Ho!, which is less than 4 miles from Saunton as the crow flies. But yet even though it is practically at sea level, it plays much firmer than Saunton. How can this be? It certainly looked to be as if Saunton was overwatering, and its grasses did not look to my unpracticed eye like the fescues at other links courses. So why the different degree of wetness? And why the different grass? Or, are my powers of observation lacking?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Coles

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
So here we have Westward Ho!, which is less than 4 miles from Saunton as the crow flies. But yet even though it is practically at sea level, it plays much firmer than Saunton. How can this be? It certainly looked to be as if Saunton was overwatering, and its grasses did not look to my unpracticed eye like the fescues at other links courses. So why the different degree of wetness? And why the different grass? Or, are my powers of observation lacking?

What were the grasses, Poa?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:03:12 PM by Ryan Coles »

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
What's the beef with the turf there anyway, is it that the first 2 and last 2 holes aren't on sand and can get a bit sloppy in winter?  I assume the rest of the course drains quite well?  This has been near the top of my must-play list for a while now.  Thanks for posting these...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
Westward Ho! is a strange one. I think it has probably lost its flavour in the last 40 years with many, and that's a lot to do with it's conditioning, other courses have bettered while WH has stayed a bit 1965. It is understandable and is also part of the charm that maybe 1 in 10 will understand.

I never have played it in good nick (always in the spring). I think 3-9 is the good run the rest is kinda 5/10. I find it 'almost impossible' to think someone could favour Westward Ho! over the East course @ Saunton but I do agree that WH has a kinda charm that is difficult to explain I actually walked over it as a 4 year old (not knowing what golf was) and remember it.

I think the great architecture is really heavily disguised so thats why it's a bit marmite (loved & hated). Perhaps I have missed things, 14-16 is a good stretch too, not sure about the great sea rushes or the field, maybe stuck in 1965 is part of the charm I can understand how someone could rate this a Doak 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
I often stress this point, Westward Ho! is fine...as are a great many of the courses we discuss.  But when compared to many other links it is hard for me to fathom how folks think Westward Ho! holds it own.  Still, whatever floats yer boat. 

Ed

Very fine.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
Westward Ho! Is unusual in that it defends par in unique ways. It's not long, it doesn't have crazy greens or deep rough. But yet it's a very difficult course to score on; I believe even the flat bellies struggle here. Surely the intuitive architect can learn something from studying this course. Strange to see the greens are no longer roped off to keep the critters off!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »
RND/WHo! have updated there website which now includes a nice short overview drone video.

There is also terrific hole-by-hole footage that really shows up the contours of the terrain the course plays over. Some of the best h-by-h footage I've yet seen.

See club website - http://www.royalnorthdevongolfclub.co.uk/
&
short overview video - https://vimeo.com/192936324
&
hole-by-hole - as an example the 1st hole - http://www.royalnorthdevongolfclub.co.uk/hole_1

atb

John Sabino

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »
Ed - Nice job and really good pictures. I played the course once by myself five years ago on a foggy morning and it was unlike any other round I have played. I liked the public lands aspect of it with people walking alongside the holes and the sheep, it felt like throwback old-school golf as it might have been played 150 years ago.

The local rule related to "embedded ball and heaped or liquid manure" is perfect given the conditions and I must say I did take relief a couple of times.

I particularly liked the 13th hole with the mini, inverted saucer green, which is smaller and trickier than your picture makes it seem.

While maybe Westward Ho! is not to everyone's taste I personally believe like visiting Royal Dornoch and The Old Course, one's golfing education is not complete until you play there.

The members and the staff were very warm and welcoming when I visited.

John

Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:07 AM »

Played it two years back and it was one of my golfing highlights. Love the idea of picking your own path and making the day what you want it to be. There are lots of great holes out there, others are very understated, but it all works great. Played on a pretty windy day and felt that it made everything even more fun.

It's such an excellent window into an older version of the game. I had the same experience at Aberdovey, Fraserburg and Black Sheep Ranch. I now covet these experiences far more than I do a round on an Open Rota course. I wish others enjoyed the rustic version of this game as much as I do.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »
I loved it as the essence of golf. The openness made it possible to hit it virtually anywhere and still have a shot.
AKA Mayday

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
I used to have an overseas membership and played it about ten times a year for five years. The first and eighteenth holes are on pretty soggy land but when you get to the four hole it gets really good. It is not your father's course. It is more like your great great grandfather's course. You see stuff there that you don't find anywhere else. I love it. It is fun and requires imagination, especially around the greens.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
From the what holes should be copied thread.

I haven't had a lot of time to spend on this the last couple of days, but here's my first team:

Par 3's:
short:  16th Royal Melbourne (East)
medium:  11th St. Andrews
m-long:  4th National Golf Links
long:  3rd Rolling Rock

Par 4's:
short:  10th Riviera
     12th St. Andrews
     7th High Pointe
medium:  16th St. Andrews
     5th San Francisco Golf Club
     6th Royal Melbourne (West)
long:  10th Highlands CC (N.C.)
     18th Phila. Cricket Club
     13th Pine Valley
     2nd Lost Dunes

Par 5's:
short:  9th Royal North Devon
     8th Royal West Norfolk
medium:  16th Shinnecock Hills
long:  10th Pinehurst No. 2

There are a lot of holes mentioned above which I would like to include, but I don't think it's very feasible to think you could place them on a nondescript site.  The 8th at Crystal Downs is fantastic, but where are you going to find another piece of land like THAT?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:58:09 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
Duplicate
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:58:56 PM by Garland Bayley »

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
 8)   Thanks Ed, great to see this course!

Did Pete Dye borrow the wooden wall design from that one bunker?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:33:16 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
Why would he borrow that one when he's seen this one?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:55:23 PM by Garland Bayley »

Ari Techner

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »
I absolutely love Westward Ho! I went on an amazing trip to Scotland and England about a month ago.  Westward Ho! might not have been the best course we played but it was the one that I cannot stop thinking about.  It literally haunts my thoughts and dreams daily  I think the course itself has some amazing and incredible holes but more than that it just spoke to me in a way very few other courses ever have.  I feel like I found the soul of the game at Westward Ho! I loved it so much that I am going back next week for a few days.  I can see how some would not fall for it like I did but to the right kind of golfer there are few better places in the world.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
Complete agreement. One of my four or five favourite golf places in the whole wide world.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back