News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Stroke Indexes
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 04:03:37 AM »

I generally play in a qualifying competition every Saturday and/or Wednesday, of which around half are Stableford - the others being medal. On Sundays the Pro organises a running comp - again Stableford.

Every other day of the week there is an informal roll-up at midday. Generally between 6 and 12 guys put a couple of quid in and winner takes all. Scoring is Stableford.  4 balls usually split into 2s for a side bet but we score on Stableford points rather than matchplay, as playing two formats simultaneously is disastrous!

In addition I play on a couple of tours and with societies. Stableford scoring, whether individual, 4BBB, or 4 man team is always the case.

Matchplay is the format for our club knockouts and for inter-club matches.

If I was having a social round with one other person ( or three others) we would play matchplay. With two others however, we would almost certainly use Stableford.

Perhaps this is atypical!  ;D

Not 'atypical' at all Duncan. Pretty much exactly what happens at the two clubs I play most often. Maybe things are more regional than most realise.

Worth mentioning is the medal competition score adjustment factor where if you have a horror on a particular hole in a medal comp then the system, ie the computer, converts your scores on each hole into overall stableford points for hcp adjustment purposes, so the SI of the hole where you had the 'horror' becomes relevant......thus how the SI on each individual hole is determined becomes relevant and an SI calculation system based on attempted equality in matchplay doesn't seem appropriate in such a scenario.

And there's mixed pairs competitions to consider...which SI is used, men's or ladies? Probably best not go there....! :)

Atb

Tom Kelly

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 04:57:38 AM »
MKrohn,

My old club, Bonnie Doon, manages that issue quite cleverly and I wonder why all clubs wouldn't follow suit:

Holes rated 1-12 are determined by analysing A-Grade players' scores only, seeing as everyone in B & C-Grade gets a shot on those holes regardless.

Holes 13-18 are done by B-Grade scores as no one in A gets any of them and every C-Grader gets all of them.

Then 19-27 are determined using C-Grade scores as they're the only golfers who use ratings above 18.

It has produced hole ratings that make quite a lot of sense and are not really debated.

This all seems far too sensible.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 05:47:08 AM »
Duncan

I play far more matchplay than Stableford.  Stableford is simply a means to retain a handicap.  Perhaps you are too easily discounting the very popular 4ball betterball format for friendly games.  I think both types of indexing is important. 

Ciao

One of us is an atypical golfer then!  ;D

I generally play in a qualifying competition every Saturday and/or Wednesday, of which around half are Stableford - the others being medal. On Sundays the Pro organises a running comp - again Stableford.

Every other day of the week there is an informal roll-up at midday. Generally between 6 and 12 guys put a couple of quid in and winner takes all. Scoring is Stableford.  4 balls usually split into 2s for a side bet but we score on Stableford points rather than matchplay, as playing two formats simultaneously is disastrous!

In addition I play on a couple of tours and with societies. Stableford scoring, whether individual, 4BBB, or 4 man team is always the case.

Matchplay is the format for our club knockouts and for inter-club matches.

If I was having a social round with one other person ( or three others) we would play matchplay. With two others however, we would almost certainly use Stableford.

Perhaps this is atypical!  ;D

Duncan

You miss the point.  I am saying both Stableford and Matchplay are important.  I don't see why non-comp play should be dismissed as unimportant.  Personally, when there are odd numbers for friendlies I try to avoid Stableford as much as possible simply because it is the go to scoring system so often.  I will take a system which doesn't require a pencil anyday....hence I prefer skins for odd numbers.  Maybe thats the American in me because skins is much more popular in the US than in the UK.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Steve Lang

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 07:32:49 AM »
 8)  this all seems so "thick as a brick,"  who's in charge over there?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
Once netted off the low ball,
a 9 handicap should get a shot every other hole
a 6, every third hole(randomly one of the three holes)
a 3, every 6th (randomly one of the 6 holes)

The idea that one can predict where another will need strokes is ludicrous....

Attempting to do it by difficulty, or by any other method can skew too many strokes in one area of the game, affecting Presses, and perhaps creating a situation where the match ends before a weaker player gets his shots.

Having different stroked holes for Stableford purposes is just way too much (useless) information.
There's no such thing as a "typical" 9, 18, or even ascratch player

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

Re: Stroke Indexes New
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Attempting to do it by difficulty, or by any other method can skew too many strokes in one area of the game, affecting Presses, and perhaps creating a situation where the match ends before a weaker player gets his shots.
Ah presses, haven't played them for a while but I recall if they were 'voluntary' presses rather than 'automatic' ones then part of the skill/tactics etc involved was in picking the right time to call/avoid a press taking into consideration not just the status of the match but also when all the players in a particular match have their shots.
Atb
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:50:04 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back