News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Clwb Golff Aberteifi - Cardigan golf club
« on: March 29, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
Cardigan Golf club – or Clwb Golff Aberteifi to give it its proper Welsh name – is situated in Gwbert in South West Wales. The village / course overlooks the Teifi estuary which is the border between Pemrokeshire and Ceridigion. It really is a beautiful spot but little known even in the UK. It sits very highly in a list of the most beautiful spots / course of any I’ve visited. Leaving the scenery aside, the course is very natural, high above the estuary with a links like character to most of the course – the 4 holes at the top of the course are more meadow like in character.

It is a hugely enjoyable course. Throw in the absolutely stunning views and this is well worth a visit if you are ever anywhere nearby. I would give it a Doak 5 just for the course, but the views nudge that up in terms of enjoyment. In terms of other courses it is an outlier – Tenby and Ashburnham are 75 minutes, Aberdovey and Pennard nearer 2 hours. However, I would strongly recommend a visit to the area with clubs in tow.

Tony Muldoon did a full course tour some years ago:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30982.msg602549.html#msg602549

I’ve brazenly stolen a couple of pictures from Tony as I played the course in the evening as I can whizz round on my own. The all world scenic 14th and 16th play into the sun at that time so pictures can be difficult / impossible to take. I’m not going to post pictures of all holes but hope the below gives you an indication of the very natural layout.

1st hole – 418 yards up and over with gorse all the way down the left. Plenty of room to open your shoulders.

View from just past the tee

Green in a bit of a dell – note the marker post behind the green

2nd hole – 365 yards with OOB down the right, but plenty of room left.

3rd hole – Wide open off the tee but tight uphill second to very long and narrow green.

From behind

4th – 375 yards swinging to the left. Gorse left and a very bumpy fairway and slopey green.

This takes us back to the clubhouse. The 1st, 5th and 15th tees are all very close to the clubhouse – plenty of boozers loops here. Not that the Welsh have ever been known to enjoy a drink or two!

5 is visually odd. Very tight off the tee. Only 358 yards but steeply uphill and turning hard right at 200 yards or so. You can take it over the corner with a 3 wood or driver if you are brave. Lovely green with steep drop off right.

6 is the first par 3 with not a bunker in view. No gorse or rough near the green but a tough target none the less due to the excellent green again with a very steep fall off to the right. Very good.

More to follow

Ed Tilley

Re: Clwb Golff Aberteifi - Cardigan golf club
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
7 is a short par 5 at only 476 yards uphill. It looks very tight from the tee but in truth there is plenty of room. It swings round and downhill to the left.

Brazenly stealing Tony’s photo due to being let through and not feeling that I should be stopping to take pictures at that point. The Welsh are a hospitable bunch but they have been known to point out when an Englishman is being an idiot.

We are now near the top of the course and the turf becomes very different and meadow like. These are the poorer holes although 8 is an uphill par 3 with a nice green site. 9 and 10 are nothing much to write home about and this is definitely the weaker part of the course. It appears that there is much more of the links like terrain to the right and beyond the 2nd hole and it is a shame that this was not utilised for 3 or 4 additional holes.

The 11th at 454 yards is a tough par 4, albeit significantly downhill. The hole swings well left with lovely views down the estuary towards Cardigan town. Another steep drop off to the right of the green.

At the crest of the hill.

From a good drive.

Looking back showing how sharply the hole drops.

Right of the green

The 12th at 383 yards is similar to the 3rd – the tee boxes are very close and play in roughly the same direction. Again the hole doglegs slightly right and uphill. The bank in front of the green is much steeper for the 12th however.

13 is a broadly similar hole to the 7th – in fact the two almost play side by side. However, it is very nice singing up and over to the left with a superb green with steep fall off left.

13 green is bottom left of this photo – green on the right is the 7th.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
All very pleasant and enjoyable at this point. However, the bar is raised with an absolutely superb finishing stretch with some high quality links holes.

We start with the 14th. Unfortunately, I have played the course a couple of times this week but each time straight into the sun. I have therefore again stolen a photo from Tony’s tour. It is an amazing tee shot with OOB right, gorse left, and great beauty in front of you. 446 yards steeply downhill into the prevailing wind this is a very intimidating drive.

Once you have found safe ground however most of the work is done as the green is invitingly flat and open. Superb.

Here is my try into the sun.

From behind showing steep drop

Now the course gets very links like and the ground gets very bumpy. 15 is 349 yards swinging left around some thick gorse.

16 is just an amazing par 3. Steeply downhill with the same all world backdrop as 14, the green is fantastic with a lethal back tier for when the greenstaff are feeling vindictive. Again, I’ve stolen from Tony due to pointing into the sun.

17 is probably my favourite hole of the lot. A short 4 at 293 yards there is only one bunker but you don’t want to be there. The green slopes away and to the right with another nasty back right tier. If the flag is to the right you want to be up the left and as far as you can drive – however this brings big numbers into play if you leak it right. A potential card wrecker.

From 100 yards out.

From left of the green showing the nasty back right ledge.

From behind – 16 green to the left.

18 is a fine finisher in front of the clubhouse. Another up and over hole at 492 yards this is the bumpiest fairway on the course.

Landing area

A highly enjoyable course. Some holes of real top quality with a few average ones. All with amazing views thrown in.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
Ed,

Splendid.

I spot a few adverse camber tee shots and your into the sun photos actually show the terrain very nicely so when coupled with Tony's really enhance our viewing. A relative of mine, decent player with a good eye for courses, always speaks very positively about the course. Nice flag flying behind the 18th green! :)

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »
Great pictures.Thanks Ed.
Played it in 2008 and my opinions are similar though I must say your pictures make me want get back there.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
Thanks, Ed - what a wonderful looking course.

It reminds me of why I don't think I could ever in good conscious provide a "Doak score" to a quality golf course -- it's because I have to admit that I simply don't know enough about what is supposed to characterize "quality".

From your photos and descriptions, I see a course that has long holes and short ones, accessible pins and difficult ones, shots that need to go left to right and right to left, variety, space/width, splendidly rumpled and canted and contoured fairways and greens, a lovely and understated aesthetic, beautiful views and scenery, a true sense of place,  appropriate conditions/maintenance, and offering challenge and fun and exercise all within a compact and elegant and walkable routing.

Others would have to tell me what "shot values" (or other such rating/raking categories) Cardigan is deficient in, because I simply don't know (and wouldn't know even if I played it). Why there are "7s" in abundance and "8s" and "9s" seemingly being built everywhere you look these days while Cardigan is only a 5 or 6 -- well, as I say, I'm obviously not the one to be trying to use the scale.

I can't think of a course (even amongst all my favourite Sean Arble ones) that has so immediately struck me as looking to be a completely satisfying golfing experience, and the epitome of what a golf course actually is and should be.

Thanks again
Peter   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:47:53 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Ed Tilley

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
Thanks, Ed - what a wonderful looking course.

It reminds me of why I don't think I could ever in good conscious provide a "Doak score" to a quality golf course -- it's because I have to admit that I simply don't know enough about what is supposed to characterize "quality".

From your photos and descriptions, I see a course that has long holes and short ones, accessible pins and difficult ones, shots that need to go left to right and right to left, variety, space/width, splendidly rumpled and canted and contoured fairways and greens, a lovely and understated aesthetic, beautiful views and scenery, a true sense of place,  appropriate conditions/maintenance, and offering challenge and fun and exercise all within a compact and elegant and walkable routing.

Others would have to tell me what "shot values" (or other such rating/raking categories) Cardigan is deficient in, because I simply don't know (and wouldn't know even if I played it). Why there are "7s" in abundance and "8s" and "9s" seemingly being built everywhere you look these days while Cardigan is only a 5 or 6 -- well, as I say, I'm obviously not the one to be trying to use the scale.

I can't think of a course (even amongst all my favourite Sean Arble ones) that has so immediately struck me as looking to be a completely satisfying golfing experience, and the epitome of what a golf course actually is and should be.

Thanks again
Peter

My 5 was purely golf alone. Throw in the setting and it is one of my very favourites. My only problem with the course is that there are some junior international matches this week which means I can't play again until tomorrow. I'm sitting in our cottage overlooking the estuary about 100 yards right of the 16th green on the most idyllic late March day and I can't play!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
Ed,

Out of interest does the (Gwbert?) hotel just down the road from Cardigan GC still have a cliff-top 9-hole course?

Atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
Ed,

Out of interest does the (Gwbert?) hotel just down the road from Cardigan GC still have a cliff-top 9-hole course?

Atb

There is a Gwbert hotel, but it is the Cliff Hotel that has the very basic 9 hole cliff top course. I walked round the cliff top part of it today as we were in the hotel for Afternoon Tea to celebrate my daughter's 15th  :'( birthday. It is little more than a pitch and putt. Certainly not worth diverting from the real thing up the hill.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
Holiday golf par excellence. Great views, wide fairways and fun to boot!

This one hadn't been on my radar but worth a visit. Thanks for posting.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »
Ed

Thanks for the tour...I will definitely add Cardigan to my list! 

Hows the turf?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ed Tilley

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 08:29:53 AM »
Ed

Thanks for the tour...I will definitely add Cardigan to my list! 

Hows the turf?

Ciao

There are 4 holes at the top of the course 8-11, and particularly 9 and 10, that are appreciably different from the rest. The rest of the course is very sandy links soil.

I played 3 rounds last week on Sunday and Monday evening and then on Thursday. It had rained very heavily on Saturday and Sunday - the remnants of storm Katie. The greens and fairways at the top were sodden on Sunday (hole full of water) but the rest of the course was in good shape. After a couple of sunny days, the course was nice and firm on the Thursday. It is basically links turf with a few non links holes.

I think you would enjoy Cardigan, Sean. Very natural course and a welcoming place. It is also great value - I paid a whopping £15 on the twilight rate.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
I am always amazed to find courses I'd never heard of. I spent a week in Wales a few years ago and knew nothing of this course. It looks like a ball and a course where you can really score. The turf looks great: tight and thick. I love the variation of the terrain. It doesn't appear as though there are very many flat lies. If I ever go back this will be on my itinerary. Thanks
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ed Tilley

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
Played this little belter again a couple of times this week. Given the dry weather we've had in the last few months the course was fiery to say the least! Last year you could land on the green and stop but this year has brought a whole new dimension to the course - particularly given the side hill nature of many greens.

You'd better drive the ball well too as the gorse is really in play when the ball is running. I've lost more balls in the last 2 rounds than I have in the last 2 months at home.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 05:51:40 AM »
Thanks for bumping Ed. Cardigan needs to be wider known. Did you get to play Newport Links (Pembs)?
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
Thanks again Ed.  Thank goodness for Wales!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
Ed

Missed your review first time round so glad to catch up. Looks like some belter green complexes especially the 16th I think. Not sure about the pockets of gorse flanking the 3rd fairway though. Reminds me of Royal Tarlair where the planted some bushes to create some "interest".

Thanks for posting, one to remember if I'm ever down that way.

Niall

Ed Tilley

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 07:20:38 AM »
Thanks for bumping Ed. Cardigan needs to be wider known. Did you get to play Newport Links (Pembs)?
Atb

No - given that I was staying  about 100 yards from the entrance to Cardigan golf club it seemed a bit of an effort to go anywhere else. I have played Newport links when it was a 9 holer which was very nice. I've also been on the beach there since and seen the new holes - these don't look like much to write home about. Have you played the full 18?

Ed Tilley

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
Not sure about the pockets of gorse flanking the 3rd fairway though. Reminds me of Royal Tarlair where the planted some bushes to create some "interest".

They did look a bit odd. The ones to the left of 3 were actually more of an issue for me off the second tee. With OOB right your instinct is to blast well left and these give you pause for thought. However they're a bit unnecessary as if you are left on 2, and off the fairway on 3 (and 12) then the approach into the green is much more difficult. There is clear incentive to be in the middle of the fairway so let the unsuspecting or foolish leave themselves a difficult approach.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Newport Pembs is a delightful spot. Scenery, town, beach, harbour etc.
The original 9-hole course by James Braid I believe, is very fine. The new 9-holes, well, um, best play the Braid-9 twice.
Newport Pembs is here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0220242,-4.837532,15z/data=!3m1!1e3
As to other golf, well for example, Cardigan GC would be about 30 mins drive northwards from Newport Pembs. From N-P to Tenby would be about a 1 hours drive south. Other courses around and about would include the lovely wee sandy clifftop 9-holer at St David's City and the parkland at Haverfordwest.

Atb

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
Looks awesome.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back