News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re:Blaketree National - Montgomery,TX
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
Kyle,

If you hit that green in two I am either quitting or getting a lesson.

We weren't all the way back and it was straight downwind.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »

We weren't all the way back and it was straight downwind.

Fair enough. Driver - 4 iron sounds about right then. ;D

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Steve Lang

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2008, 11:53:38 AM »
 8) Don't think kyle will mind.. he's told me it was a career 3 wood..

I'd note that the favorable experience at BN has always been for me, related to how the routing is draped over the country side and how it also literally relates to the ebb and flow of the course's difficulties.  When the greens used to run very fast, it was a tremendous mental grind on every approach shot..

But even now..

#1.. better be warmed up on the tee and the green isn't all that big a target, so better have a good lie for your precision approach.. hope they re-establish the colorful distracting foliage behind the green!

#2..  first full shot nerves out of the way.. climb the hill with a mid to long iron.. refuge in the front right bunker used to be not so bad versus being on left side of green and pitching or putting across big fast sloping green.. short game test!

#3.. from elevated tee one tends to focus on that small mid-fairway bunker and not over cooking a draw if thinking about shorter dogleg left route and others ignoring the right fairway edge bunker.. seen many not get over the mid-fairway bunker!  Uphill 2nd to big green usually underestimated.. ball used to roll off false front.. ball control and power needed on this down & up hole

#4.. my favorite and most challenging cape hole in area.. ball control and length needed off the tee, precision and just plain guts needed on approach to green that has water in play around about 50% of its circumference front left, left & back left.. if you bail right, enjoy the shot and try to keep it on the green.. tiger, as i remember you didn't like the small artificial mounds on far edge of fairway.. they still look out of place and serve (IMHO) little purpose, though they're in a bail out area..

#5.. the downshill dogleg right view relaxes you off the tee, but really demands some thought on how you want your drive to behave.. beware of the tree haunting the mid-fairway region, and the left fairway bunker.. slicers may not delight with tree on right inside corner that looks out of play next to driving range.. when you've gotten dead center in fairway, nothing like having to launch a 5-7 iron over or around a tree to the front of a canted downhill sloping green..that is, unless you have a good spin shot from 150-180 yrds..  never understood the need for the flagstone drainage to left of green.. but never spent much time there either..

#6.. full relaxation or frustration at this point, up-meadow, big green with bunkers not really in play.. just don't get lazy on this hole.. very large green which has lotts of internal contours and can be very challenging when green speeds are up..

#7.. focus, one-shotter, slightly uphill, fairly deep bunkering.. better hit more club and if need be, scramble from rear of green!

#8.. as noted previously, long dogleg left as par 4 used to be a real challenge.. things can go awfully wrong along left side of fairway, but not too hard to handle as par 5 with moderate patience.. water hazard on green's left side not unlike #4

#9.. as noted previously, this converted par 5 is more than most average folk can handle.. with usual downhill lie on long approach shot to that treacherous pond fronted, sloped green.. I still play it as a par 5 when I'm trying to score well.. it used to really be a really tough green to negotiate when conditioning was higher quality.. one can't help but look over to the 10th.. and start to anticipate the back 9

time for lunch...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:59:59 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
Kyle is a monster off the tee and was able to overpower the late holes. Of course even from the forward tees I couldn't reach 18 in two but I don't think it mattered much that day.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
That's a great summary Steve.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the second nine.

Steve Lang

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 11:05:18 PM »
 8)
PIt stop.. quick sandwich and provisions to go.. hold off on that first bite and take a good swig of beer instead.. #10 awaits .. it may be best birdie opportunity for several holes..

#10..  Most par threes stress accuracy, I've always felt that #10 requires simple aggression and accuracy.  With one of the greatest elevation drops on the course, and lake edge green, its easy to just munch your eats and watch others take it on..  One used to have to fire to the left of almost any pin placement to keep the ball on the green, bringing those left green edge traps into play, unless you like to draw the ball over water or hit a high-straight-soft landing shot :ƒº  this green has gotten very bumpy and fallen on hard times over the recent years and we¡¦ve played it recently as an auto-2-putt..  plenty of balls are to be found in the lake!  

#11..  This relatively short par 4 with downhill left curving fairway entices and draws you into its tree line hazards, one must draw the ball and follow the right center path else get ensnarled into the open left rough and cut off from a clear approach by trees that lurk left towards the green.. Slicers typically power into the right rough¡Vtree-scrub area with poor chance to get on in two.  This left-right two tier green is very shallow, and the approach from a good downhill fairway lie requires steady confidence to place your shot onto the very small half-green¡¨ landing areas.

#12.. Reportedly the last of the C&C shaped holes, this par 4 is toughest behind #4 & #9, one must blast up the hill, knowing that center-right is best, center-left may be screwed..  short forces a layup over the hill with almost always a downhill lie resulting.. short does give you some opportunity, if you like 220 yard+ , uphill lie, blind shots to test your nerves or lighten your bag..  If you get to the top of the hill, its mentally not unlike the 10th, no time to be shy, left is generally good, especially if you can bounce it off the hillside to get at back pin or if just above the green, at least better than taking a bath in the lake right..  many a tin cup moment seen at this hole!

#13.. As stated previously, this longish uphill par 3 hole used to be extremely difficult to hold shots due to the green draped over the sloping away hill, redan style.  I¡¦ve seen shots faded onto it hit, appear to be ok and roll off, low shots up the hill to right green edge make a left turn onto the green. Or roll-out into long grass. left used to be a two section very deep bunker, seems shallower now, but still very un-inviting.. familiarity helps, but no guarantees here from any side of the green.  If green speeds come back, look out!

#14.. Par 4 with a ¡§little¡¨ carry over an angled water hazard, no problem with a power fade or blast straight or controlled draw starting down right fairway edge.. For those that draw-hook or pull left, if you choose line too central, one can quickly run out of fairway landing-runout room to left tree-scrub line.. Slicers can have difficulty with water carry and/or trees to right.  Don¡¦t go right at green, 4-5 yards off kicks you downhill into piney woods.. else fairly easy hole, best birdie opportunity on back 9.

#15.. Par 4 dogleg left.. Take one 3W, sling it up the hill, gentle right-left draw, center cut and all¡¦s well on this slight uphill-downhill hole.  Those pulling drivers typically end up going through tree line right into junk.. snap hooks and other cooks left get cut off..  green runs away from you.. used to land approaches 5-10 yards in front of green and still prayed for a putt .

#16..  You¡¦ve seen the pics of this par 5.. tee shot looks uphill, slight dogleg right fairway sloping left to right ..Seen many a draw end up in trees to left, many a fade on right cart path or worse.. second shot over the hill is all about your lie, ball flight and placement to your best approach yardage, not too far, not too short.. either way, add a club to normal yardage for blind uphill shot to green which slopes to front right.   Many birdies or ¡§others¡¨ seem to happen here, the wooden dam turns many off, but if there was an open approach uphill slope to green, traps would be no real defense and likely counter productive, inviting long hitters some safe haven..

#17..Deceptive par 4 dogleg right ( for first timers), like #16, one needs a power fade up left side, leak into center, staying away from small pond guarding nearly entire right side.  Don¡¦t be shy on approach, which is slightly uphill, to large sloped green.

#18..Test your manhood and/or get real on this par 5 closer.. One more small uphill drive, don¡¦t even think of challenging traps, cover some substantial territory down the fairway, approach your last angled, slight tiered, fall-away green with draw landing 5-10 yards right of pin, watch it track left back to hole..  tap in for birdie, go rest in parking lot or at the grill/veranda, hit the reset button, and repeat if you can¡K

We're looking forward to the return of BN's greens and conditioning under the new management.. with development in the area, and lower prices, I assume there'll be better cash flow and improvements made.  None the less, we still love to play this course.. perhaps because it doesn't feel like 90% of the other courses we've played in TX in last 17 yrs.. A hidden gem indeed!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:05:56 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Andy Hodson

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
BN is, to me, one of the more tragic and sad stories of a golf course, and its potential.

As stated before, it originally was planned to be a C&C (one of, if not the, first one for the tandem). As it has turned out, it is eleven beautifully routed holes and seven done by a rank amateur on a small budget. The front nine is a truly wonderful routing.

A couple of notes:

#14   The green originally was to be placed behind the creek and fenceline (?), a good 40 yds. behind and to the right of the existing green. #15 tee would have then been to the left of that green (as you looked at it), making it much more of a dogleg left and about 50-60 yards longer.

#12    Mr. Blake did indeed put the pond in that guards the green. He also added the extra 80 yards to the hole, when after playing with an area club pro, he got pissed when the pro crested the hill with his drive and the ball rolled all the way into the fronting pond. As it is now, it might be the worst par four in the area. I would have a hard time finding a worse one.

#8      Used to be one of the best par fours around, even at 500 yards. One can tell it was meant to be played at that distance in the prevailing southerly wind; and a running second shot that came in from the right could funnel down towards the green.  Alas, now there is a bunker there to catch that play, and for good measure they made it a par 5 by adding about 30 yards, which means that...

#9   would now become a par 4 (instead of the original risk/reward par 5). So now its, what?, 470 yds. to a smallish, very sloping green over water. What used to be a fun end to the front nine is just a bear now.

I could go on (the extra 100 yards tacked on to #18; the abrupt dogleg on #17), but all I can think is how great (and I mean great; not just "Texas great"...Matt Ward ;D) this course would have been if Mr. Blake's money didn't evaporate in the '80s, and C&C could have finished what they started.

Another note, Tom Doak was right in that Crenshaw wanted to call this The Magnolia Club. Not only that he wanted to actually build a home there, and bring the Houston tour stop up there.

BTW, the above is not to be read as a stinging criticism; just a sad sigh of "What if...?". It is a beautiful piece of property, and a fun challenge. I think its a great match play course, esp. when played in the winter wind (north).

And, it is under new ownership and management. I expect from talking with the new pro there that it is only going to get better and better in terms of conditioning. And yes, they do have a feral hog problem. I saw a caged one when I was last up there.

The maintenance staff had a big feast planned for that evening.  :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:26:24 PM by Andy Hodson »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
BN is, to me, one of the more tragic and sad stories of a golf course, and its potential.

As stated before, it originally was planned to be a C&C (one of, if not the, first one for the tandem). As it has turned out, it is eleven beautifully routed holes and seven done by a rank amateur on a small budget. The front nine is a truly wonderful routing.

A couple of notes:

#14   The green originally was to be placed behind the creek and fenceline (?), a good 40 yds. behind and to the right of the existing green. #15 tee would have then been to the left of that green (as you looked at it), making it much more of a dogleg left and about 50-60 yards longer.

#12    Mr. Blake did indeed put the pond in that guards the green. He also added the extra 80 yards to the hole, when after playing with an area club pro, he got pissed when the pro crested the hill with his drive and the ball rolled all the way into the fronting pond. As it is now, it might be the worst par four in the area. I would have a hard time finding a worse one.

#8      Used to be one of the best par fours around, even at 500 yards. One can tell it was meant to be played at that distance in the prevailing southerly wind; and a running second shot that came in from the right could funnel down towards the green.  Alas, now there is a bunker there to catch that play, and for good measure they made it a par 5 by adding about 30 yards, which means that...

#9   would now become a par 4 (instead of the original risk/reward par 5). So now its, what?, 470 yds. to a smallish, very sloping green over water. What used to be a fun end to the front nine is just a bear now.

I could go on (the extra 100 yards tacked on to #18; the abrupt dogleg on #17), but all I can think is how great (and I mean great; not just "Texas great"...Matt Ward ;D) this course would have been if Mr. Blake's money didn't evaporate in the '80s, and C&C could have finished what they started.

Another note, Tom Doak was right in that Crenshaw wanted to call this The Magnolia Club. Not only that he wanted to actually build a home there, and bring the Houston tour stop up there.

BTW, the above is not to be read as a stinging criticism; just a sad sigh of "What if...?". It is a beautiful piece of property, and a fun challenge. I think its a great match play course, esp. when played in the winter wind (north).

And, it is under new ownership and management. I expect from talking with the new pro there that it is only going to get better and better in terms of conditioning. And yes, they do have a feral hog problem. I saw a caged one when I was last up there.

The maintenance staff had a big feast planned for that evening.  :D

Great to see you on the board Andy!

Steve Lang

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
 8) What side of town are you on now Hod?
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »
8) What side of town are you on now Hod?

I think he's also in The Woodlands.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »
Kyle , Why did I spend $175 to play Redstone when I could have played here? Some of the pictures remind me of Cuscawilla. Let's add this to the list on the ride to or from Dallas.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 11:40:52 PM »
Kyle , Why did I spend $175 to play Redstone when I could have played here? Some of the pictures remind me of Cuscawilla. Let's add this to the list on the ride to or from Dallas.

That question just made my day. It's kind of like how when I talked to him earlier he didn't know why he paid anything to play Memorial Park today.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:29 PM »

That question just made my day. It's kind of like how when I talked to him earlier he didn't know why he paid anything to play Memorial Park today.

I like Memorial...there are some good holes.  I didn't like the way some of the people there acted.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »

I like Memorial...there are some good holes.  I didn't like the way some of the people there acted.

I can't wait to hear that story.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
Kyle -
I try to ignore the people at Memorial - there are some strage fellas hanging out on the putting green.
Try not to make eye contact next time.  :)

I assume you don't mean the staff...

I am 100% in agreement with Andy.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2008, 08:48:59 AM »
Its refreshing to see water near a green without sand as a buffer.  This approach looks to be a cracker.

Thanks for posting Kyle.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Keith Kirkendall

Re: Blaketree National - Montgomery,TX
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
I figured I would bump this old thread so people could get a look at the property that Tiger is working with at Bluejack National, and to reminisce about a Houston gem gone to the golf course heaven in the sky.

I'm the guy in the yellow shirt in the pictures.  Kyle and Sam thrummed us that day. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back