News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

A Difficult Par
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
Just finished James Hansen's book about RTJ Sr.  It is a pretty fascinating look at his life and work.  Anyone else read it?
I found the chapters on his work on Open courses the most interesting.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Young

Re: A Difficult Par
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
Tommy,
I read it and then went back and read a few sections a second time.  Jim spent 2 hours discussing the book with us at Dixie Cup last weekend.  The part I found most interesting was how he tried to organize a group to set hourly and daily fees for designs in the late 40's and how he would have his own construction company bidding projects without the client knowing he owned the company.  Considering how those initial ideas developed it was quite hypocritical.  Jim is one of the few that would write such. 
I also thought he did a great job of portraying how the overall design business is a holistic golf business.  I'm hoping Jim will now write a book on Dick Wilson.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Just started reading it yesterday after hearing Jim's discussion at the Dixie Cup. I've already learned a lot of interesting things in the first two chapters.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
Tommy,
I read it and then went back and read a few sections a second time.  Jim spent 2 hours discussing the book with us at Dixie Cup last weekend.  The part I found most interesting was how he tried to organize a group to set hourly and daily fees for designs in the late 40's and how he would have his own construction company bidding projects without the client knowing he owned the company.  Considering how those initial ideas developed it was quite hypocritical.  Jim is one of the few that would write such. 
I also thought he did a great job of portraying how the overall design business is a holistic golf business.  I'm hoping Jim will now write a book on Dick Wilson.

This is another great reason to attend events like the Dixie Cup.   Jim Hansen came to the club at Mike Young's invitation and discussed his book for over an hour on the patio after dinner.   It was an absolutely outstanding event.   Looking forward to reading the autographed copy I bought. 

The Dick Wilson book should be titled "Testicle Bunkers."

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
Certain people were obsessed with genitals this weekend.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
I think it is magnificent. Everyone else who aspires to be a golf historian should read it and reflect on the thoroughness of its research and the transparency of its sources.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Patrice Boissonnas

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
I am reading it at the moment.
Enjoying it a lot although it's almost too detailed for me sometimes. Maybe because I am not familiar with the early RTJ courses that are described in the early chapters.

I agree with Adam Lawrence that this book should be inspirational for any aspiring golf historians but here is my questions: how many significant architects have left enough archives so that such acadamic research can be conducted and such an extensive book published?
Sbdy was mentioning Dick Wilson. Has he left enough material for searchers?
Having been a university researcher myself for a couple years I know exactly how it's like.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:34:34 AM »
A few of things stand out for me.
1.  He stuck with his profession even when prudence would have urged him to find a different vocation.
2.  He seemed to have a blatant disregard of the members who would play the courses he "doctored" for US Opens.
3.  I feel bad that his boys couldn't seem to get along.   Ihave a good friend who has known the family for years and the rancor between the boys is worse than the book describes.  As a parent of 41 and 37 year olds, I am happy that my kids love each other.  I know the sadness that my Dad had because my sister and I don't care much for each other. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim McCann

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
I'm fascinated by the section of paragrapph 12 which deals with the protracted development of the RTJ course at Vidauban in France.

Finally opened in 1991, "the place is so secretive that sometimes the members blindfold their guests to keep theroute to the golf course secret, adding to the club's mystique".

I'm visiting the property next week during a major renovation of the layout and will be interested to see how it's shaping up.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
Having attempted to research and write a book, I am somewhat aware of the challenges the task can bring. To complete A Difficult Par, it is clear Jim had to scale a number of hurdles, and I am glad he did, as the book provides a very interesting insight in RTJ Sr and his family. For those interested in the history of golf courses design, reading this book is fascinating and insightful. I certainly recommend it.

Scott

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
I am about 1/3 into the book and what strikes me the most about RTJ was how in spite of all adversity, he never gave up.  So many of his initial jobs fell through, and jobs he did get, he often did not get paid or got paid partial.  He never gave up, he tried every angle to get a job.

Even if you are not a golfer, this is an incredible read.  This is a story about having a dream and pursuing that dream.  Nothing was handed to this guy. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
I am about 1/3 into the book and what strikes me the most about RTJ was how in spite of all adversity, he never gave up.  So many of his initial jobs fell through, and jobs he did get, he often did not get paid or got paid partial.  He never gave up, he tried every angle to get a job.

Even if you are not a golfer, this is an incredible read.  This is a story about having a dream and pursuing that dream.  Nothing was handed to this guy. 

Eric:

I have yet to read the book -- I really do need to get a copy -- but your first paragraph is the story of most every golf course architect who's not a Tour pro.  It's competitive as hell, jobs fall through, clients fail to pay, etc.  Almost everybody in this business knows what that's like, or they would have quit a long time ago. 

I've been more fortunate than most, but I've had plenty of the above, too.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »

Eric:

I have yet to read the book -- I really do need to get a copy -- but your first paragraph is the story of most every golf course architect who's not a Tour pro.  It's competitive as hell, jobs fall through, clients fail to pay, etc.  Almost everybody in this business knows what that's like, or they would have quit a long time ago. 

Tom,
I was telling the guys the same thing Saturday night while Jim Hansen discussed his book with them.  I basically said they needed to read the book and try to forget the glamour of the business they sense and realize that all archies go thru these same things...
Now the good thing about that is that it teaches one a lesson that many guys who were groomed as associates of tour players never got to experience.... :)

SL_Solow

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
My take on the book is a little different.  Clearly the result of a tremendous amount of research, it does a wonderful job of explaining the growth of RTJ's business.  From that, it is possible to glean some insight into the evolution of the greater golf architectural marketplace.  It also provides detail about the interfamily issues.  It is a worthwhile read.  But for me, the book lacks any important analysis about the architecture itself.  descriptions of the work are not detailed; changes in holes are described as improving shot values etc.  Jones overall philosophy pervades the descriptions and perhaps the intended audience is perceived to lack interest in this type of discussion, but for me, more detailed descriptions of the actual work done would have added a lot.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
To be fair it is not intended as an assessment of his golf courses. It is a biography, not a golf book per se.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
To be fair it is not intended as an assessment of his golf courses. It is a biography, not a golf book per se.

Agree....if one wishes to get an inside look at the golf design business and how it works for many then read the book...Jim Hansen did a great job with it...

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
I read the book some time ago.  I remember finding it very interesting as a business history and personality profile.

I also found myself not liking the guy or his son RTJ JR very much. 

SL_Solow

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »
Adam and Mike;  I don't disagree, in fact I thought I made your points in my initial post.  What I suggested was that the book could have been more and if one is looking for insights into the architecture, this might not be the place.  As a biography of the man's personal and business career, I have no question that it does an outstanding job.  I suppose it depends on what one finds interesting.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 07:08:37 PM »
Adam and Mike;  I don't disagree, in fact I thought I made your points in my initial post.  What I suggested was that the book could have been more and if one is looking for insights into the architecture, this might not be the place.  As a biography of the man's personal and business career, I have no question that it does an outstanding job.  I suppose it depends on what one finds interesting.

Different books require different authors.

When I was working on the MacKenzie book, my co-author Dr. Scott had written more of a biography, but he was not well-versed in design and had not seen nearly enough of MacKenzie's overseas courses, so it would have been impossible for him to try to write about the significance of MacKenzie's work or the details of his courses.  [That's how I was enlisted as a co-author.]

I only met Jim Hansen one time many years ago, but I think he demurred on trying to get too deep into Jones' architectural style because he didn't feel qualified to tackle that aspect of it.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 07:56:33 PM »

Eric:

Tom,
I was telling the guys the same thing Saturday night while Jim Hansen discussed his book with them.  I basically said they needed to read the book and try to forget the glamour of the business they sense and realize that all archies go thru these same things...
Now the good thing about that is that it teaches one a lesson that many guys who were groomed as associates of tour players never got to experience.... :)

Mike you are so right about the glamour and all.  I have been guilty of it.  I always thought of golf design as a glamorous business.  I think a lot of people do.  You envision someone being flown all over the world, to beautiful locations, and the architect being an artist getting to do his craft.  Very easy to forget about the business side of all this, and the intense competition to get that business.  And the heartbreaks and disappointments  along the way.  And dishonest people who lie and tell you want you want to hear,  when they were really never really interested in you in the first place.  It takes a special person to stick this out, and succeed, we are lucky to have a few at GCA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back