News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Colt/Allison Greens where the tilt is most Pronounced
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »
I have just played my 3rd Colt/Allison designed course.  I was wondering what courses (any Country) that have the most pronounced tilt in their Colt/Allison greens?  Ones where a 2 putt is difficult on greens stimping at 8 from 25ft and in.  False fronts aren't to be taken into account.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:06:33 PM by BCowan »

mark chalfant

Re: Colt/Allison Greens where the tilt is most Pronounced
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
There are some splendid Colt greens at Toronto Golf Club in Ontario. Dave Schmidt has spoken highly of the greens at Old Elm , which is north of Chicago

Frank Pont

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »
Royal Hague, Tandrdige and Broadstone all have some quite steep greens. Swinley Forest also has some that have some slopes.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »
Of the Colts I've played one green in particular comes to mind - the 10th at sandy, heathy Whittington Heath GC, NE of Birmingham, UK.

Here the 10th green slopes downwards from front-to-rear, massively so.

There are numerous fine green complexes at Whittington including several with significant front-to-rear downslopes, eg the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 16th, but the 10th takes the biscuit, pure evil, even more so when set up for competition play.

I've not (yet) played, for example, any of the celebrated Colt classics west of London, but were front-to-rear downslope greens a Colt speciality (I noticed quite a few of them during a recent game at his Sandwell Park too)?

Here's Sean's photo tour of Whittington Heath - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35648.0.html

plus a Bing Sat-map extract of the course - http://binged.it/1vnTcwn

atb
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:02:17 PM by Thomas Dai »

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
The 5th green at Effingham GC in Surrey is quite extreme. It's a Colt from the 20s or so. Slopes severely from back to front and on greens that can be quite slow it was terrifying to be above the hole. If you went through the back you were in a world of hurt. They've actually redone the green now. I think there was some subsidence at the front of the green and it had got too severe to pin it hardly anywhere. I've only played the revised green once, so I can't really comment on it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back