News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeToro

Eastward Ho! Firm and fast?
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
I just played Eastward Ho! for the first time yesterday and was wondering if anyone knew what the typical conditions are.  It's rained quite a bit over the last week so I'm sure that had some impact, but the rough was so lush and the grounds not as receptive to the ground game as I thought it would be.  Is this pretty typical or does it play firmer and faster? 

Just to be clear, I thought the course was amazing.  The terrain provides for some phenomenal, exciting, blind shots and the wind helps the course play much longer than the yardage

jeffwarne

Re: Eastward Ho! Firm and fast?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
I just played Eastward Ho! for the first time yesterday and was wondering if anyone knew what the typical conditions are.  It's rained quite a bit over the last week so I'm sure that had some impact, but the rough was so lush and the grounds not as receptive to the ground game as I thought it would be.  Is this pretty typical or does it play firmer and faster? 

Just to be clear, I thought the course was amazing.  The terrain provides for some phenomenal, exciting, blind shots and the wind helps the course play much longer than the yardage

here on the east end of Long Island it's rained 10 out of 14 days-I'm sure they've dealt with the same.
After a very dry summer, even the barest of very thin rough patches have come back green and lush
When I played there it was very firm and fast, but I'm not going to judge its overall conditions on my one play ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris DeToro

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
ha, nor do I, hence the ask ;-)  Guess I'll just have to go back...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »

+UNO

It is so memorable that I would have to go back in my mind to determine if there is a weak hole. You have any thoughts on that, Chris?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
My wife and I played there two Mondays ago in the St Christopher's Tournament. The course was dry as we hadn't had much rain at that point; since then we've had quite a lot of rain. I think the real issue is that the greens all have significant upslope in the front which precludes any  running  type shots. The ball ran well in to the fairways, which are some of the most undulating on the planet! Although they have fescue grass it does not play like a true links, even with its close proximity to Pleasant Bay. Frankly, most of the seaside courses near the Cape play on heavier ground; they just aren't blessed with sandy terrain.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
I played the St. C's event as well and agree with Pete. Fairways were firm, greens were a little softer but not soft enough to chase back pin positions. To say the fairways are undulating is an understatement.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »
I really didn't think there were any weak holes.  I really like how he used the typical wind direction to add an additional layer of difficulty and course knowledge to mitigate what may seem like an easy hole.  I'm thinking about number 2 namely.  Number 6 is probably my favorite hole with the hard slope off the left forcing your ball into a position where you'll most likely have a blind shot into the green because of the large dune on the right.  For some reason, the back 9 holes weren't as memorable for me.  I think I liked the open nature with the large, rolling dunes on the front 9 which weren't as apparent on the back

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
Although 11 and 18 are pretty crazy and pretty rolling, huh?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

abmack

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:49 AM »
Chris,

When I've played there, it has been fairly fairly firm and fast.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »
Although 11 and 18 are pretty crazy and pretty rolling, huh?

18 is definitely pretty crazy.  As is 14--that's quite a slope.  The little par 3 15 is a great hole too.  It's almost a little soothing after coming down 14 and knowing what you've got ahead in the last 3 holes. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back