News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Pete_Pittock

My First Internatonal course -What's Yours New
« on: October 03, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »
Where did you play? Why did you choose it? Reminiscences?

Mine had nothing to do with architecture.
     Over the last year or so I have been trying to remember the name of the Sydney golf course I played on R&R many years ago. Anyhow, yesterday I unearthed my letters from the year and found the answer. Moore Park. The date was 10 Dec., 1968. There is some architecture mentioned!  CAUTION, this is a partial blow by blow written for my golf partner/father.

"The it was a quick cab ride (from King's Cross) to Moore Park and a round of golf. Walked into the clubhouse and rented clubs, bag and bought three balls, one of which mysteriously disappeared when it got hit onto a street. So I was off to the first tee armed with 2,4 woods, 3,5,7,8,9, putter. I took a few rusty swings, teed the ball up and with a trusty tailwind I hit a high floater off the elevated tee to the next hill, about 220 yards away, Hoisted the bag over my shoulder and set out on my first round of golf in 7 months.
    I got to the ball, set everything down and searched for the green.  It was over the hill and down at the bottom of the slope, so I walked back, took aim at a chimney and lofted the 3 iron thirty yards left of the green, pin high. Chipped with the 7 iron 30 feet past and fo. und their wasn't much difference between fairway and green. The grass was think enough to keep the ball straight, but I didn't figure this out until the 15th, so I two putted for my first bogey.
   The second had an elevated tee with the fairway sloping to the street on the right. A drive and a slice put me by the RSPCA where I met a nice person holding my ball , with a little ble dot on it. His blue car was parked nearby. So I shanked my next shot, chipped close and tapped in for double...  Lost a ball on 7 but got a natural par with a good second (4th) to the green. Eight was the out hole and stopped for some food and paired up with two others for the remainder of the round.
    One, an Australian dentist who reminded me of Andy (barber, golf partner of me/dad) (he kept stepping in my line), mentioned that his father had invented the boxer's mouthpiece. The other, from Finland, was an export/import buyer finishing up a tour which included rounds in Cape Town, Bombay, Bangkok and Sydney. They figured out I was on R&R, asked where I was from and the Aussie had lived in Portland's Hollywood  district in the late 1930s..
    The rest of the way I played good golf except for 11 and 17. Eighteen was a terror. It was about like 2 at Rose City (elevated tee and green combined with 4 at Eastmoreland (dogleg left around hill). I hit for distance off the tee into a 20mph headwind but rolled my wrists and got a banana ball through the trees onto the first fairway at the 190 yard line. With trees the rest of the way to the hail O tried an Arnold Palmer shot with a built in slice,. Unfortunately I connected and hit a ball which cleared the  hill (40' high)  by ten yards and kept climbing. I found the ball about 75-100 yards past the (elevated) pitched through the green and down the hill. Back on the green and a well earned bogey.
    Since then Moore Park has been extensively remodeled. It even included a drawing of the 18th with  shot-track I didn't know any difference between American and British balls. Seven years later I persuaded my father to take a real international outing, this time to Scotland.

. My R&R was to feel like I was back home, so golf, bowling (last game was 220 with two open frames),  deep sea fishing were on the menu along with other activities. Afterwards we repaired across the street to a local pub.    

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:17:49 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill_McBride

Re: My First Internatonal course
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »
The summer between my junior and senior years at UCSB, my dad was project manager for the Corps building a major breakwater near Lajes AFB in the Azores.  I got a free trip over for the summer, courtesy of Uncle Sam.   There was a very cool, very low key par 70 course nearby, and I guess my brother and I played it almost every day that summer.   

There were quite a few stone walls that defined OB, and some were on dogleg holes where you could drive the green on a par 4 or reach a par 5 if you had the nerve to take on the wall.   I had my career low round there, a 69 with five birdies and an eagle.  My brother and I used to lurk around the putting green, missing short putts in an effort to lure SAC pilots into a four ball match.   Lots of fun. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
Kings Course at Gleneagles.  Shot 76 in the rain. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
On a trip to visit a friend in Detroit back in 1997, we ventured over the bridge into Windsor, Canada for cheap whiskey and cheap golf at a little nine hole course not far from the liquor store. Consulting the google my best guess is the course was Little River GC. I'll never forget how awesome it felt at the time adding an international flair to my game.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
Pete - can't tell you how much I enjoyed your letter from the past. The whole package - i.e. that it was 1968, and you were on R&R, that you're writing to your dad, that you played with a 2 wood and a 4 wood, the casual/understated references to the design, probably not even thinking about it as 'architecture'. Anyway - thanks, very nice read indeed.

Peter

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 02:00:17 AM »
Portmarnock, on a fine summer day in the mid 1990s.  Hadn't even heard of the course (or any international courses besides the Br. Open rota courses).  Was in Dublin on a business trip, and a friend told me about this famous course and suggested we go out there.  Hadn't played for a few years, but rented clubs and played all three nines.  Got rain, sun, wind, two birdies and nothing higher than double IIRC.  Quite a few holes still stand out in my mind.  First and only real links course; first and only course played outside the US. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
Enjoyable to read Pete.

I live about two kilometres away and pass it twice daily on the way to and from work but have never played there. Must do sometime.

Did you write your dad any letters about the late-1960s nightlife in Kings Cross?! ;D

Chris DeToro

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »
The first course I played was in Europe--Golf Club Nahetal in Bad Kreuznach Germany.  I was about 15 and we had just been stationed in Germany after spending most of the early years of my dad's military career in Virginia.  I didn't play much before moving to Germany, but golf made it much easier to stay busy when you move around during the summer.  It gave me a place to meet people, stay busy and eventually get me very interested in a game which has now become my passion and part of my career

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 06:40:29 AM »
1970.  Glencruitten GC in Oban, Scotland in December (or was it January 1971?).

It is a very short course, although the weather, the wet and the hills made it play longer.  Plus, I was only 11.

Played with my Dad.  We were visiting distant relatives at North Connell.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
My first round in Scotland was at Glasgow Gailes.  Right off the Ryanair flight to Prestwick; driving the rental car on the left side; 4*C with a 2 club wind.  I was a single and the pro asked if I wanted a game.  He paired me up with three members wh I met in the locker room. Upon introducing myself, the told me that I pronounced my name incorrectly as they repeated it "correctly" with their heavy brogues.  We played a match for a pound. I was concerned that I wouldn't play to my handicap, but played okay and my side won the match on the 17th hole. In the clubhouse after the round I was treated as if I was a long time member. One of the warmest clubs I've ever visited. Great memories.

Glasgow Gailes Alec, me & Tommie

Glasgow Gailes - Mike, Alec & Tommie

Dave McCollum

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »
Secured an advance tee time for late May on the Old Course at SA.  Rounded up some golf buddies to play, then spent the winter reading about courses in Scotland that I might want to see.  I arrived 10 days ahead of my pals to play some solo golf on courses that interested me.  Started the journey at Royal Aberdeen, staying in Cruden Bay, and my golf views were forever changed by a steady diet of links courses—16 in total.  Mostly the usual suspects, but a few locals like Gairloch way up in the NW Highlands.  An ideal trip, however not one I’d repeat today. 

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »
Other than crossing the river to Canada (nobody in Michigan counts Canada as a foreign country - there used to be bloody Canucks all over the Detroit areas shopping every weekend :D), my first was international trial was Troon circa 1991.  It was not a very auspicious first international go as my tee time was essentially cancelled.  The set up was all the visitors were piled up on the putting green and we were paired up regardless of the booking.  I didn't care for the course or the treatment.  I haven't been back and I won't go back.  The next few days at St Andrews made up for the rough opener  ;)

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Walton Heath. Old in the morning, New in the afternoon with lunch in between. June of 2006. First time I'd ever left North America for any reason.

The best part of the day was being greeted upon arrival by Tony Muldoon and the peripatetic Craig Disher who proved that day, as well as many times in the future, to be ideal golf companions.

P.S. I did say "best part of the day" but I will admit the beer was mighty good as well!

Jim Sherma

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
My wife's friend got married outside of Cork and since it was my first time to Ireland I took my clubs (2002 or 3). After having my clubs lost during the Heathrow connection I played Fotah Island (the original 18, it was all they had at the time) on a wonderful crisp November morning. Paired up with a kid that was working at the club and was set up to go to the US for college then next year on a golf scholarship. I was happy to play well and have fun keeping up with him. We had the course to ourselves. Really a nice day. I liked Fotah a lot and thought it had a real nice character.

A few days later I played Rosslare in a serious force 9 gale for my first true links experience. I still have the local paper's weather report from the day. According to the rating scale this was a gale with winds 47-54mph. Got soaked at the end after playing the whole way back to the clubhouse into the wind. It was hard to stand straight up in let along walk into. All I did was hit low driver followed by however many two-irons it took to get to the green. The one par three that played with a right to left cross wind was hilarious and I remember hitting 4 or 5 balls there just to see what they were going to do. I was by myself on the course and the guys in the shop thought I was an idiot.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 02:19:10 PM »
St. Andrews New.  In 1992 my father and I arrived for a weeklong stay at St. Andrews.  After checking into our hotel on a beautiful evening we realized there was plenty of sunlight left and we were not going to bed soon.  It was a wonderful way to shake off the travel and get a glimpse at the Old Course we would play later that week. 

I suspect the fee was 10 pounds or less.  I know the Old Course was 35.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
Addis Abeba Golf Club, 1973

I went into the Peace Corps in Ethiopia upon graduation from college. I was sent to one of four or five training sites in a rural town (our assignments were to be rural, so we trained in similar circumstances) where I made friends with a fellow golf nut from Rochester, NY. On our first excursion to a rather cushy training site, the purpose of which was to thoroughly drub them in basketball, my buddy and I visited every ice cream shop in town consuming as many as three different products at each one. At the end of training we returned to Addis Abeba before leaving for our village assignments. My buddy and I decided to go try out Addis Abeba Golf Club. We rented clubs, and I played right handed the only time in my life with my rented clubs as there were no left handed clubs to be had. The course had sand greens, and since it was at the end of the monsoon season, some parts of it were unplayable. I remember that I played better right handed than I expected, as I began to get the hang of it after a few holes.

I see now on Google Earth that the course has grass greens and even has bunkers, which it didn't have back in the day.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Yost

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
Seems as though I've told this story, but a search failed to turn it up.  Forgive me if I repeat myself. Forgive me if I repeat myself.

1987.  A business trip to visit contract manufacturers in Hong Kong and Taipei Taiwan.  The planned one week in Hong Kong turned into two and then the scheduled one week in Taipei stretched into two.  I had been seeing a sign hotel lobby advertising "golf excursions" and when we got the word we would be spending our fourth weekend away from home, I told my colleague "I'm going golfing!"  The concierge advised me that the receipt they offer states "Professional Seminar, so you can expense it!"  wink

I arrived to the lobby Saturday morning at the appointed time where I was whisked away in a van to a golf shop in town.  The proprietors fixed me up with a bag of clubs, and as I looked over the rack of shoes, they both took one look at my size 13's, then simultaneously shook their heads.

Lucky I wore sneakers, so back in the van and an hour ride outside of town (probably only 20 miles but in Taipei, 20 miles takes an hour) to the Hinshu (?) Golf Club.  I was paired with three Japanese gentlemen who told me that they can fly to Taiwan, stay and play cheaper than a round of golf in Japan.  We met our caddies, tiny little Chinese ladies who spoke not a word of English and off we went.

It took me sometime to adjust to the unfamiliar clubs. Played pretty poorly for the first few holes. Slowly was able to start putting drives in the fairway and figure out my distances with the irons.  Probably the 11th or 12th hole before I was finally able to find a GIR and actually have a birdie putt which I left well short.  My caddie mumbles something in Chinese.  My partners laugh and one of them provided a translation.  "She said 'pitiful.'"

Finished the round which included a nice lunch and some beers with my new best friends, then back to the hotel   Remember virtually nothing about the course other than it was tree lined and scenic.

Oh yeah, I did manage to expense it.  Which was funny because my boss was giving me grief about my laundry bill, meanwhile overlooking the ~$100 "professional seminar."  ha ha.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:34:30 PM by Tom Yost »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »

Oh yeah, I did manage to expense it.  Which was funny because my boss was giving me grief about my laundry bill, meanwhile overlooking the ~$100 "professional seminar."  ha ha.

I love expense account stories.  My favorite is from a sales trip to Chicago with a good buddy associate.  We took some clients to a Cubs game and got hammered afterward in one of the nearby pubs.  Played liars poker for $5 bills.  The next week everything on my expense report ended in 5. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »

I love expense account stories.  My favorite is from a sales trip to Chicago with a good buddy associate.  We took some clients to a Cubs game and got hammered afterward in one of the nearby pubs.  Played liars poker for $5 bills.  The next week everything on my expense report ended in 5. 

Two games where you can learn quite a bit about someone in a short period of time-Golf and Liars Poker.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
My first overseas golf was in Scotland in 1998.  I planned my trip from what I read in Dan King's Scotland on My Mind blog postings on Golfweb (how many around here remember the Golfweb Architecture forum?) and Finegan's book Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens.

My first round was at Carnoustie and the hotel was not finished yet as this is the year before it came back on the rota.  My club's didn't make my flight to Edinburgh so I stayed up late at the B&B in Carnoustie waiting for the clubs to be delivered.  I remember that my wife and I had a great Indian meal in town with Naan bread the size of the Financial Times.  The course was punishingly difficult.

But it was a great trip and I made sure to play Cruden Bay since Dan raved about the course.  We stayed at the Kilmarnock Arms and it is the only time that I have ever stayed in a hotel room without a bathroom.

I got to play St Andrew Old and Jubilee, North Berwick, Gullane #1, Cruden Bay, Brora and Royal Dornoch in addition to Carnoustie.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 03:44:26 AM »
Corfu, Greece, sometime in the early-mid 1980s. My father, mother, sister and I are on holiday one summer. Dad and I get a little bored of the beach after a week or so. Some time previously, I had read in Golf World about the Corfu Golf and Country Club on the west of the island. The magazine suggested it was one of Europe's star courses, so we decided we would investigate. Two bus rides take us to the course, we pay a green fee and rent some clubs. It is hotter than Hades, middle-high 30s, but no matter.

Don Harradine, the architect (I have since learned that if you played golf anywhere obscure in Europe in the 70s or 80s there was a good chance you'd be playing on a Harradine course) had added quite a lot of water hazards to the golf course. We went in a number of them. By about the twelfth hole, our stock of golf balls was running low - in fact we were down to one each. Dad hit his tee shot onto a neighbouring hole and went off in search of it. He found a ball, but he also found two German golfers coming up that hole, and in retrospect it seems pretty likely that the ball actually belonged to one of them. No matter; he affected the air of effortless superiority that comes so naturally to Englishmen when dealing with foreigners, and asserted confidently and repeatedly that it was his. That was the turning point - from there on we only found balls, didn't lose any.

After the round we had to get back to our hotel on the other side of the island (this whole escapade would have been much more sensible with a rental car, but that hadn't occurred to us at the time). No bus appears, so we figure we might as well start walking in the direction of Corfu town (from where we knew we could pick up another bus to get us back to where we were staying) and just catch the bus when it appears.

We walk. No bus appears. We continue to walk. Much later, very hot and bothered, we eventually reach Corfu town - about 11 miles from the golf course. We get a (rather expensive) cab back to our hotel. A long but memorable day ends.

The following year we went back and played the place again, but had the sense to book accommodation within a mile of the golf course and take our own clubs. Nice place. Not one of the best courses in Europe, as Golf World had me believe at the time, but I shall always hold it dear, and would quite like to go back.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 04:11:02 AM »
Adam, there was a sign on a public course somewhere in New York City that read, "PLEASE DO NOT PICK UP LOST BALLS UNTIL THEY STOP ROLLING."

Tim Johnson

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
September 99, Prestwick with my dad. The first of 35 links courses played. Paired up with Jim "Crash" Jenson of the Dolphins. Having played many other courses, would love to go back with a better mindset for links golf. Intended to quit smoking on that trip but at 2 over on the 7th, went triple, triple, triple and quad bogeys.....bumming smokes from my caddy on the 12th tee. That courses will be visited again.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
I'd be interested to know if anyone has played the Willingdon Club in Bombay.  It was the first course outside the US I ever played.  First course in the UK was Pike Hills outside York. First course in Scotland: Muirfield.

Michael Essig

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
Tijuana Country Club, Mexico 1984.  Played with two locals that stopped and talked with the every person on the course.  They apparently knew everyone. 

Followed by The Old Course and New Course, Scotland 1986

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back