News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Richard Phinney

The Best Golf Course in the World is Chosen
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Apologies if I have broken the etiquette rules a little, but I thought it would save everyone a lot of time and bother if they knew that the question of  the world's best golf course had at last been resolved, and the award made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hduzElTVVY&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Thomas Dai

Re: The Best Golf Course in the World is Chosen
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:41:56 PM »
Time for a ....?

:)
atb

Michael Marzec

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »
Hahahahaha. I can't stop laughing....

Clever spoof. Love how the photographers crowd in.

It looks so real.....

Wait....That's really Donald Trump....

This just got even funnier.

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
Favorite quote: "If you're gonna receive an award from your own organization, that kind of devalues it a little bit."  Ya don't say!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »
Thanks, Richard.  I guess the science is now settled, and Ran can fold up his tent and start another venture.  Great knowing you all.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »
Funny stuff.  When I was at Canouan Golf Club in St Vincent and the Grenadines we got the same huge award! From the same organization too.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:34:55 AM »
Richard shouldn't you declare an interest here?  Are you not a business partner with the director?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/sep/04/donald-trump-alex-salmond-golf-a-dangerous-game-golf-film

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:04:46 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Crowley

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
Richard may have an interest but, "res ipsa loquitur" (the thing speaks for itself).

Richard Phinney

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
Richard shouldn't you declare an interest here?  Are you not a business partner with the director?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/sep/04/donald-trump-alex-salmond-golf-a-dangerous-game-golf-film

Yes, indeed, I produced and wrote the film, and aopologies for not making that clearer... I was being cheeky.  The film has its American premiere at the Hamptons International Film Festival this weekend and if there's a GWAA member who would like to attend I will certainly endeavour to get them complimentary tickets. Course designers Martin Hawtree, Greg Norman and Tiger Woods make appearances, though not in the most favourable light. On the other hand, the Montrose links looks lovely.  There are Irish showings as well, Tony.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »

Sorry, in previous message I meant free tickets for GCA members of course!!!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »
Richard may have an interest but, "res ipsa loquitur" (the thing speaks for itself).

Does it really?  Perhaps we hear different thing or perhaps the real meaning is not so clear.

Let me declare my interests.  I have a great deal of time for the pair’s first film and recommend Richard’s “The Links of Heaven”,as THE book to buy as a guide to golf in Ireland. I have no time for Trump.

Nevertheless both parties are being a little "cheeky” in producing publicity material which is not what it seems. I feel that Richard has unintentionally attained an delicious irony with his post.

Further on a day when Golf is once again attacked based on misinformation, Richard is surreptitiously promoting what can be described as an anti golf film on here for his own profit.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Richard Phinney

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »

Does it really?  Perhaps we hear different thing or perhaps the real meaning is not so clear.

Let me declare my interests.  I have a great deal of time for the pair’s first film and recommend Richard’s “The Links of Heaven”,as THE book to buy as a guide to golf in Ireland. I have no time for Trump.

Nevertheless both parties are being a little "cheeky” in producing publicity material which is not what it seems. I feel that Richard has unintentionally attained an delicious irony with his post.

Further on a day when Golf is once again attacked based on misinformation, Richard is surreptitiously promoting what can be described as an anti golf film on here for his own profit.

Ouch!  Obviously, if I've offended Tony so comprehensively I've seriously miscalculated here.  My apologies for the post.  Just a couple of assurances though.  The film is not anti-golf. And we don't make a profit - we make films because we think they are important. We survive in other ways!   

John Crowley

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »

To clarify my intent, the video speaks for itself. The Donald's congenital hubris and hyperbole is in full view.
John

Josh Stevens

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
One can only assume from his business success that he is a lot smarter than his hair would suggest and he does in fact understand how  hilarious this looks

He must giggle into his scotch when he gets home

THe sad thing is that there are probably people that buy this

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
The film is actually premiering right here in Sag Harbor on Saturday
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Will Lozier

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
I swore this was an SNL skit at first...and I am not sure it isn't even still!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:13 AM »
Hahaha!!!!! I love Trump!!! This is hilarious and he knows it. He loves to wind people up and watch them go - you only need to log into his facebook page for his daily rants to know that.

Unless this was an SNL-type comedy skit, I see it differently.  Trump is trying to buy ratings and stature for his course.  Entirely synthetically.  Here on GCA we mostly take that as a joke: his course is not seen as the best in Aberdeen, much less the world.  But now he has another 'award' he can trot out in his p.r. and marketing materials, that plenty of people may buy into.   

I was glad to hear the early reports praising TIS: always cool for me to learn of new, outstanding golf courses.  Trump's never-ending onslaught, to manufacture phony rankings, is giving me second thoughts.  So is the fact that he apparently wildly over-promised the jobs/economic impact of the project.  Has he even delivered on one-tenth of his projections?   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
My favorite line, because it's so telling, was "This comes as a complete shock to me, totally."

Trump has been quoted saying that it is the best, so why should that be a shock? The "totally" was his tell. Unless it's legal puffery, which by any other name is cow poop.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
Wow, so he was correct it is the best ::)

If I find the time to do it I must do this for my place. If anyone wants to be on my academy board to help me chose my own course please let me know though I will expect anyone I pick to be surprised and honoured that they can give me my award ;D

Jon

JLahrman

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
My favorite line, because it's so telling, was "This comes as a complete shock to me, totally."

Trump has been quoted saying that it is the best, so why should that be a shock? The "totally" was his tell. Unless it's legal puffery, which by any other name is cow poop.

Maybe he was shocked at the sudden appearance of a wooden podium on the 14th hole of the golf course?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
A lot of pomp.. no circumstance.
Next!

Bill Stahler

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
If the award was for "World's Largest Ego", few would argue.

Will Lozier

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »

Maybe he was shocked at the sudden appearance of a wooden podium on the 14th hole of the golf course?

Wouldn't you be!  ;)

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
The film is actually premiering right here in Sag Harbor on Saturday

Saw film today-interesting, informative and entertaining.
certainly makes you think, though it's more about the abuse of power of elected officials than golf courses.
We already knew Trump was a douche.

Loses a bit of credibility with Alec Baldwin , he of 13 bathrooms in his "sustainable" mansion but I digress.....

Interesting during the film they sneak on East Hampton GC with a local enviromental professor/politician.
Seems there are legally and legitimately obtained monitoring processes and permits in place, and with absolutely no evidence that either are being abused or disregarded, I'd say they have no business entering the property unannounced filming and harrassing the son of the founder and (now)partial owner. Listing the initiation fee to join the club is a bit of a tell of the agenda.
Just seemed out of place and completely unrelated to the rest of the film.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:29:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 02:52:32 AM »
Wait wait wait...according to their PR maven, wasn't Liberty National, "The Greatest Golf Course in the World" ??? :P ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back