News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Brent Hutto

"If you want a golf course, go to a glacier"
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
I'm reading an old John McPhee book called "Annals of the Former World". It's about geography and in one section he travels along I-80 from Ohio into Indiana with a geologist named Anita Harris. Here's an excerpt that seems right up our collective alley.

The ice sheets set up and started Niagara Falls. They moved the Ohio River. They dug the Great Lakes. The ice melted back in stages. Pausing here and there in temporary equilibrium, it sometimes readvanced before continuing its retreat to the north. Whenever these pauses occurred, as in northeastern Indiana, boulders and cobbles and sand and gravel piled up in prodigal quantity--a cadence of recessional moraines, hills of rock debris. The material, heterogeneous and unsorted, has its own style of fabric, in which geologists can see the moves and hesitations of the ice, not to mention its weight and velocity. Scottish famers, long before they had any idea what had laid such material upon Scotland, called it till, by which they meant to convey a sense of "ungenial subsoil", of coarse obdurate land.

"This would be a good place for a golf course," Anita remarked, and scarcely had she uttered the words than--after driving two thousand yards down the road with a dogleg to the left--we were running parallel to the fairways of a clonic Glenagles, a duplicated Dumfries, a faxed Blairgowrie, four thousand miles from Dumfriesshire and Perthshire, but with natural bunkers and traps of glacial sand, with hummocky roughs and undulating fairways, with kettle depressions, kettle lakes, and other chaotic hazards. "If you want a golf course, go to a glacier" is the message according to Anita Harris. "Golf was invented on the moraines, the eskers, the pitted outwash plains--the glacial topography--of Scotland," she explained. "All over the world, when people make golf courses they are copying glacial landscapes. They are trying to make countryside that looks like this. I've seen bulldozers copying Scottish moraines in places like Louisiana. It's laughable."

Steve Okula

Re: "If you want a golf course, go to a glacier"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
Being originally from Connecticut, I find it curious that there is such a dearth of good golf courses there. The state was covered in glaciers and has generally coarse, sandy, soil.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
What we saw at Gleneagles was glacial eskers and kames.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Keith Grande

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
Alaska is the next China for GCA... ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
Steve O.

I grew up in Connecticut too (1951-1968) and was back there (Darien) just 10 days ago, at a HS reunion, wandering about as well as partying.  Geologically speaking, the good stuff that came from glaciation was called the "terminal moraine" (i.e. the place were glaciation ended and all the big rocks turned into small rocks and sand).  Connecticut was 10 to 20 miles north of this, and ended up with loamy soil punctated by lots of middle sized rocks (hence the stone walls and the small pastures).  Long Island, Fishers Island, Block Island, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod got the good stuff,  Hence their poorer agriculture and finer golf courses.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »
"Golf was invented on the moraines, the eskers, the pitted outwash plains--the glacial topography--of Scotland"

Oh well, guess you learn something new everyday! :)

atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
"Golf was invented on the moraines, the eskers, the pitted outwash plains--the glacial topography--of Scotland"

Oh well, guess you learn something new everyday! :)

atb

Yes, I've read this quote before, but the premise is just slightly off.  It is true enough that glacial land is ideal for golf, and that many modern golf courses are shaped in disharmony with their surrounding landscape -- whether it's glacial forms or something else that are being imitated.  But links golf came first, and faux links are just as prevalent and overpopulous.

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:32:41 PM »
Culver Academy (Indiana) is built on the shores of a kettle that filled to become a beautiful lake. The Academy's nearby golf course (Langford) was built on a terminal moraine.

In the Great Smokies, you will find large erratics (boulders) sitting in splendid isolation the middle of a forest, left there by retreating glaciers.

The clay on golf courses in Georgia is out-wash from the erosion of the Appalachian Mountains.

With a little geology, the most mundane locales can tell fascinating stories.  

Bob
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:45:12 PM by BCrosby »

Doug Wright

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »
My first "aha" golf architecture experience occurred while riding with my family from SW New York State to the Albany-Schenectady area through the Finger Lakes, which of course were formed by glaciation during the Ice Age. There is an area south of Naples NY that features some dramatic rolling hills called drumlins*. My distinct thought at the time was "this would make great land for a golf course."

*Drumlins are cigar-shaped hills of till. These hills are steeper on the upstream end — that is the direction from which the ice flowed. In height, they rarely exceed 200 feet. There exist thousands of drumlins from Oswego and Syracuse to west of Rochester. One well-known example is Hill Cumorah, near Palmyra, where Joseph Smith reported seeing a vision that led him to found the Mormon Church.

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back