News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

The "Muni" to reopen tomorrow! (wilmington)
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
John Fought's restoration of the muni in Wilmington is to debut tomorrow.  Unfortunately I can't play it tommorrow but I hope I will soon.  Any reports will be appreciated.  Ran's writeup on the course is worth a read.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:09:46 PM by Paul Carey »

Carl Johnson

Re: The "Muni" to reopen tomorrow! (wilmington)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
John Fought's restoration of the muni in Wilmington is to debut tomorrow.  Unfortunately I can't play it tommorrow but I hope I will soon.  Any reports will be appreciated.  Ryan's writeup on the course is worth a read. 

For those unfamiliar with the course, it was originally the work of Donald Ross.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »
A friend of mine is going to the opening ceremony today, and has one of the first tee times tomorrow.  He's watched the process from the beginning, and has been very pleased with Fought's work.  I've asked him to let me know what he thinks, and I'll pass it along when he does if there aren't any firsthand reports by then.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:23 PM »
Questions:

1.  Ryan's writeup?  Where does one find that? (do we mean Ran?)

2.  So the course was "restored" back in the early 2000s with the support of the DRS.  After playing it in 2004, I figured the city would never be able to keep those newly-done bunkers maintained, as cool as they were.  So Fought come in and re-did the re-do?

I'm sure it's great, but I'm just curious/confused...only 9 years between re-workings, and both were restorations?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:26:06 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
Questions:

1.  Ryan's writeup?  Where does one find that? (do we mean Ran?)

2.  So the course was "restored" back in the early 2000s with the support of the DRS.  After playing it in 2004, I figured the city would never be able to keep those newly-done bunkers maintained, as cool as they were.  So Fought come in and re-did the re-do?

I'm sure it's great, but I'm just curious/confused...only 9 years between re-workings, and both were restorations?

Brad,
Here's another link to an article written by Lee Pace in the Carolinas Golf Association magazine; you have to scroll down to page 13 to get to the article about the Muni.

The "redo" 9 years ago was very limited, and was mostly the bunkers along with some regrassing.  As this article points out, the greens Ross designed were never really built at all.  This project is a very, very different undertaking; very extensive, and focused on the greens.

http://www.carolinasgolf.org/images/CarolinasGolf/site/carolinasgolf/Fall2014/CarolinasGolf_Fall_2014.pdf

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
Here is Ran's writeup from 2002:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/wilmington-golf-course-nc-usa/

I played the course shortly after Ron Prichard's work was completed and I thought it was great. The bunkering work was terrific and holes like the Volcano par 3 really stood out. This work will be icing on the cake.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

BCowan

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
http://www.wwaytv3.com/2014/09/29/wilmington-municipal-golf-course-reopens-this-week

$1.5 million restoration.  It is great that the Donald Ross Society was involved and helped raise money for the restoration.  Anyone play post work? 

Rees Milikin

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
If I am in the Wilmington area, this is one course I am definitely trying to play.  The restoration work looks great.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back