News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Hurricane Odile - Cabo
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

Re: Hurricane Odile - Cabo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
Scary to see the initial reports of Hurricane Odile as it made landfall near Cabo San Lucas with 125mph winds.

Greg Tallman, are you, family and colleagues safe?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/hurricane-odile-to-bring-life-1/34009925
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/09/15/hurricane-odile-landfall/15653375/
http://abcnews.go.com/International/hurricane-odile-sends-residents-tourists-shelters-makes-landfall/story?id=25502568

Reminds me of Ivan hitting Pensacola ten years ago to the day. 

At least we got a new course and clubhouse out of it!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »
Hopefully Greg as well as Paul Cowley [who was down there as of recently] are riding out the storm on high ground.  My thoughts are with both of them.  Internet access is likely pretty sketchy during hurricane events though, and cleanup is a bitch, so it may be a while before we hear from them.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
from the photos of the Airport Terminal and resorts I've seen this will be very bad for the area.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
Hopefully Greg as well as Paul Cowley [who was down there as of recently] are riding out the storm on high ground.  My thoughts are with both of them.  Internet access is likely pretty sketchy during hurricane events though, and cleanup is a bitch, so it may be a while before we hear from them.

Thanks Tom for your thoughts. We are fine but rattled a bit...hard to describe the destruction and this past weeks sequence events. I will say that the Government has been doing an excellent job on all fronts after 2 days of gang rule, lawlessness and widespread looting. Its back in control and goods, materials and construction personnel are starting to flood in. Still no electricity except for generators. We have spent the last 5 days uncovering the thick sand /mud mixture that covered many of our greens and fairways before the grass suffocates and we are doing well...so well that I need to go back to work right now! I'll try to post more. Cabo will be back...Great land with even greater people!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »

Thanks Tom for your thoughts. We are fine but rattled a bit...hard to describe the destruction and this past weeks sequence events. I will say that the Government has been doing an excellent job on all fronts after 2 days of gang rule, lawlessness and widespread looting. Its back in control and goods, materials and construction personnel are starting to flood in. Still no electricity except for generators. We have spent the last 5 days uncovering the thick sand /mud mixture that covered many of our greens and fairways before the grass suffocates and we are doing well...so well that I need to go back to work right now! I'll try to post more. Cabo will be back...Great land with even greater people!

The gang rule part must have been scary.  Even here in Pensacola, Florida we had National Guard troops patrolling the next day after Hurricane Ivan exactly ten years ago.    The rebuilding effort will ironically be a big shot in the arm to the local economy but there will be months of distress.  Good luck to all y'all down there!

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »

Thanks Tom for your thoughts. We are fine but rattled a bit...hard to describe the destruction and this past weeks sequence events. I will say that the Government has been doing an excellent job on all fronts after 2 days of gang rule, lawlessness and widespread looting. Its back in control and goods, materials and construction personnel are starting to flood in. Still no electricity except for generators. We have spent the las 5 days uncovering the thick sand /mud mixture that covered many of our greens and fairways before the grass suffocates and we are doing well...so well that I need to go back to work right now! I'll try to post more. Cabo will be back...Great land with even greater people!

The gang rule part must have been scary.  Even here in Pensacola, Florida we had National Guard troops patrolling the next day after Hurricane Ivan exactly ten years ago.    The rebuilding effort will ironically be a big shot in the arm to the local economy but there will be months of distress.  Good luck to all y'all down there!

Thanks Bill!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »

Gracias TD, golf cleanup is not that bad actually. Sure a bunch of trees (blessing) and bunker work but all in all golf may have been the least affected of anything. As the newly bearded Paul Cowley states, we will be back better than ever and as Bill McBride notes the irony is this will stimulate investment and economic development in a big way.

Apart from that, down a couple pant sizes already...

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »
Good WSJ article on Cabo bouncing back after Hurricane Odile

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-los-cabos-resort-bounces-back-1450208307
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »
Good WSJ article on Cabo bouncing back after Hurricane Odile

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-los-cabos-resort-bounces-back-1450208307

The investment occurring in the area at this time is truly astounding. Predominantly high end hotel stuff which should feed everything else in the area. Odile is a but distant memory with only the occasional reminder.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back