News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

"Eat your heart out Pebble Beach"
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »
Subject is a quote from Tom, a solicitor in South Devon, but a child of Tenby, where he grew up playing the club.

I have to say Tenby has the best scenery of any course I have played. It has islands, cliffs, ocean beaches, fortress, light house, and beautiful old world building architecture in the various backdrops.

Having visited 17 mile drive and seen Pebble Beach, I have to agree with Tom.

My friend Bob and I played a four person open Stableford competition with Tom and a retired fireman named Richard at Tenby. With just best two balls needed, and Bob and I ham and egging, we took fourth.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

Re: "Eat your heart out Pebble Beach"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
Garland,

How many net eagles did you have?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
None for me. I think my bud had one.
Tom had at least one. He needed one more turn of the ball on a chip to have had a natural eagle.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »
Nice to hear you're taking it all in on your trip, Garland. When I went over for BUDA VIII, Tenby was my first links experience. I agree it is an exceptionally beautiful spot. I liked the course a lot though the end isn't quite up to par with the rest. All in all I'd definitely like to return one day. The dormy rooms are excellent as well and most convenient. Enjoy!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
Glad you enjoyed Tenby Garland. Dare I say it but even without golf Tenby (and Wales :) ) is a lovely place. Well done for the competition too.

For those who don't know it, probably only a few given the number of positive comment about Tenby GC herein, here's a localised Bing sat-map - http://binged.it/1BqpfgH

Worth pointing out that Tenby GC do some very fine say-n-play in their dormy clubhouse accommodation deals. See - http://www.tenbygolf.co.uk/pages.php/page/482047a2-ba03-11df-af3c-001ec9b331b2/view_section.html#top

In fact quite a few Welsh clubs are doing dormy stay-n-play deals with around the coast RStD/Harlech, Aberdovey, Newport (Pembs), Tenby, Ashburnham, Clyne, RPGC and P&K all having dormies at their clubhouse these days.

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:03 PM »
I have to say Tenby has the best scenery of any course I have played.

Wait until you play Pennard tomorrow before getting carried away  8)  Tenby will seem like a slum.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
Agree with Arble, wait till you see 7 and 16 at Pennard, just to mention two scenic holes.  Nobody does castle ruins like Pennard!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 01:51:44 AM »
Scenically, Pennard does not hold a candle to Tenby. Neither does Royal Porthcawl.
Course comparisons is a different matter.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 02:03:13 AM »
Scenically, Pennard does not hold a candle to Tenby. Neither does Royal Porthcawl.
Course comparisons is a different matter.

Well...to each is own.  I think you are off yer nut, but you gotta right  :)

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:23:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 02:49:37 AM »

Coastal scenic? Try way out west: there's Cardigan, Newport (Pembs) and St David's City.

Inland scenic - Mr Braid's Welshpool GC would be a good place to commence.

18th hole Welshpool GC, 447 yd par-4

atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 04:22:37 AM »
For coastal scenery in Wales, nothing beats Nefyn & District, particularly the 13th. One of the most spectacular holes in golf in my unqualified opinion.

Approach

Green from the side

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 04:35:10 AM »
Cardigan, not my photo, Tony's from his splendid photo-tour - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30982.0.html

atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 06:18:13 AM »
Cardigan is a really beautiful spot. We had a cottage for a week 3 or 4 years ago about 100 yards to the right of the green in the photo - right opposite from the club entrance. Played about 4 or 5 times and it was very enjoyable. It's a bit far from any other courses of note though.

I've played Newport when it was a 9 holer but what is St. David's City like? I've driven past it several times going bodyboarding at Whitesands with the family - looked a bit basic?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »
Cardigan is a really beautiful spot. We had a cottage for a week 3 or 4 years ago about 100 yards to the right of the green in the photo - right opposite from the club entrance. Played about 4 or 5 times and it was very enjoyable. It's a bit far from any other courses of note though.

I've played Newport when it was a 9 holer but what is St. David's City like? I've driven past it several times going bodyboarding at Whitesands with the family - looked a bit basic?

Ed,

Here's my St David's City photo-tour from earlier this year plus some splendid additional B&W photos by Neil White who also writes about Newport (Pembs).

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58473.0.html

Yee olde worlde, honesty box, bit rustic, lovely IMO. Golf as it used to be. The last time I played StDC I played with hickories and had an absolute blast. The 8th/17th green is a wicked spot.

atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »

Ed,

Here's my St David's City photo-tour from earlier this year plus some splendid additional B&W photos by Neil White who also writes about Newport (Pembs).

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58473.0.html

Yee olde worlde, honesty box, bit rustic, lovely IMO. Golf as it used to be. The last time I played StDC I played with hickories and had an absolute blast. The 8th/17th green is a wicked spot.

atb

Looks right up my street, thanks. We love that part of the world - stayed in Solva a couple of times. Problem is finding enough room for clubs with 4 bodyboards and wetsuits in the car. Looks like the place where a pencil bag and 5 or 6 clubs would be loads of fun though.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
Looks right up my street, thanks. We love that part of the world - stayed in Solva a couple of times. Problem is finding enough room for clubs with 4 bodyboards and wetsuits in the car. Looks like the place where a pencil bag and 5 or 6 clubs would be loads of fun though.

Exactly, Ed, exactly, and only £20 for all day play.

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back