News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Treitler

Scottsdale Public Golf
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
Hi All,

So I am going to be playing golf with my father for a week out in Scottsdale in the last week of October.  We will be staying near Troon North and will have the chance to play 4 times.   We have already played the two troon courses, both We Ko Pa,  both Talking Stick, Quintero, boulders etc...

So... I know these threads come often but I figured I would see what you all thought.   I was denied on all of my attempts at private clubs so I doubt any of those are options.  

I probably can't convince my dad to drive more than 90 minutes or so.  

Which four would you play out of these?   Or if there are any I am missing let me know!

Southern Dunes
Vista Verde
TPC Scottsdale Stadium
TPC Scottsdale Championship
Dinasour Mountain
Eagle Mountain

I played the Raptor at Greyhawk and was extremely disappointed.   Is the Talon worth playing?  

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:04:48 PM by Mike Treitler »

Jerry Kluger

Re: Scottsdale Public Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Vista Verde has a new name that has slipped my mind but I think it is a really solid value. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:04 PM »
Vista Verde definitely but it's now know as Tegavah

http://www.tegavahgolf.com/

The last week in October is the end of over seeding season so plan ahead as some courses may be closed or recovering:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59384.0.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Treitler

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
wow so Southern Dunes and Dinosaur mountain won't even be open when we are there!   Well I guess it makes the decision on where to play easier.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
The new Ambiente course at Camelback might be worth a play.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
TPC Scottsdale Stadium is still finishing up their renovation and isn't scheduled to reopen until mid-November.

Vista Verde/Tegavah is fine, but sort of not all that memorable to me.

I like the TPC Champions course.

I prefer Raptor to Talon at Grayhawk, but they are pretty different courses within the context of two courses that occupy extremely similar pieces of land. If you weren't a fan of Raptor, I'd doubt you would enjoy Talon.

A 90 minute drive still can get you out to the west valley. Verrado and the Golf Club at Estrella are both good and significantly less expensive than Scottsdale courses.

Mike Treitler

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
Is the Sidewinder worth playing at Gold Canyon if Dinosaur Mountain is closed?   Kind of a long drive but it seems like Dinosaur mountain is the better course based on my research.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Verrado is reopening on October 28. GC Estrella on October 24. Both courses are worth the ride. Take your chances on conditions.

Papago reopens on October 26.

Mike Treitler

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
havent heard of papago... nice track?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »
My wife and I played with the Shaffers at the 500 Club in NW Phoenix.  Very low key and affordable, I like it.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »
Too bad about Southern Dunes, it would have been worth the effort. I suggest you take the suggestion for Verrado.

Also, keep in mind that there are two golf courses at Estrella Mountain. Golf Club of Estrella (Nicklaus) is the one that has been recommended. I believe the other is called Tres Rios at Estrella Mtn Park (or something like that), and looks to be much more basic golf...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Personally, I like Verrado considerably more than GC of Estrella, but both would be worth a look with your options being limited.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:07 PM »
Papago has been the subject of much discussion on this board.  It is a muni not far from the airport.  I like it but for some reason it seems to play pretty slow.  Very walkable. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:06:13 PM »
Papago was the place to play in PHX before  Troon North & Grayhawk, etc took the tourist trade. It's still a highly regarded muni that ASU will manage in the near future. Recently renovated, it's much better and well maintained in prime season. However, there is no clubhouse, just double wides.

I always forget The 5oo Club. It's a non housing development course with a good mix of holes. Call the course for their over seeding schedule.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
Planning on going to the ASU-ND game 11-8. Should the overseading in the area be done by 11-5?
What's the parking like for ASU home games, any public transport to the game?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »
Is the Sidewinder worth playing at Gold Canyon if Dinosaur Mountain is closed?   Kind of a long drive but it seems like Dinosaur mountain is the better course based on my research.

Sidewinder is probably not worth the drive.  I would recommend the drive for Dinosaur Mountain if it was open though.  Sidewinder would make the most sense if you were staying close or had just finished Dinosaur Mountain and wanted to get in 36. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
Papago was the place to play in PHX before  Troon North & Grayhawk, etc took the tourist trade. It's still a highly regarded muni that ASU will manage in the near future. Recently renovated, it's much better and well maintained in prime season. However, there is no clubhouse, just double wides.

I always forget The 5oo Club. It's a non housing development course with a good mix of holes. Call the course for their over seeding schedule.

There's a bunch of good if not great holes there, right?

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »

There's a bunch of good if not great holes there, right?

I think that's fair. Nothing great, but an enjoyable round with a few memorable shots.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 12:04:04 AM »
Planning on going to the ASU-ND game 11-8. Should the overseading in the area be done by 11-5?
What's the parking like for ASU home games, any public transport to the game?

Tim,

I think virtually everywhere will be open again by the end of October, but conditions are often not ideal for several weeks even once they are open again. Greens being shaggy is the main thing you'll notice, but it depends a lot on the weather throughout the overseeding season.

The Phoenix area does have Light Rail service that goes right by ASU and the stadium, but that's not much of an option unless you're already staying near another stop on the line (primarily downtown). I think the parking around Sun Devil Stadium is pretty adequate, but I generally try to avoid the place. (Go Cats!)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:26 AM »
Go to We Ko Pa and play both courses.  It's only 30 min. from Scottsdale, and well worth the time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dave Givnish

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
If you don't mind a drive and they are not in overseed, think about Los Cabelleros in Wickenburg. It's about 30 minutes past Quintero. I haven't played there in years but will give it a try this fall.

Eagle Mountain is pleasant and has some nice views. I'd make it your warm up round as you can score pretty well on it. Sunridge Canyon is across the street. It is a more challenging course. I'm not sure that I'd be excited about playing either with cart path only. You might get a lot of that as the courses are coming out of overseed.

Isabella's is on the 18th green at Grayhawk Talon. Food isn't so good, but there's a great sunset view of the Valley for cocktails. Local Bistro is down Thompson Peak Parkway for dinner.

Schwab Cup will be up at Desert Mountain that week as well.

Mike Treitler

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the suggestions.   It looks the lineup is set and we really lucked out on "The Rim".

Troon North (Monument)

Vista Verde

The Rim

Sun Ridge Canyon

I will report how it all went when I get back on the first of November.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
That's a solid set of courses. I really liked The Rim, Monument is my preferred of the TN courses, Vista Verde is nice, and Sun Ridge Canyon has some good holes, even if the course as a whole has plenty of issues.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back