News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bowen

Big Island of Hawaii
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
I am traveling to the Big Island Nov. 10-18.  Anyone interested in meeting up for a game please DM me.  I have played many of the courses before and find most of the resort courses by the ocean to be quite unmemorable.  I enjoyed the Makalei course up the hill as it has an amazing amount of elevation change.  I have not played any of the private clubs but might hope a fence or two  ;D  Any suggestions on must see courses or things to watch for please let me me know.

Cheers

mike_beene

Re: Big Island of Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »
Have you played Mauna Kea? That course has grown on me over the years. My biggest issue with Hawaian resort golf is the assumption people want to ride. The only places I have  been allowed to walk are Hualai and Wakaloa Kings.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:51:59 AM »
Mauna Kea is just a great place to play.  The course is just wonderful.  I would also try to access Club At Hokulia.  It is private but access isn't a big problem.  It is further south but well worth the trip.  Two others I enjoyed that are not on the coast but fun, although, they aren't great designs:  Big Island GC and the Hapuna course up the road from Mauna Kea.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »
Mauna Kea is just a great place to play.  The course is just wonderful.  I would also try to access Club At Hokulia.  It is private but access isn't a big problem.  It is further south but well worth the trip.  Two others I enjoyed that are not on the coast but fun, although, they aren't great designs:  Big Island GC and the Hapuna course up the road from Mauna Kea.

I also liked Mauna Kea, minus the bunkering. Some are little too severe for my taste. Great layout and enjoyable walk.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mike Bowen

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
I am planning on playing Mauna Kea a couple times.  From what I have seen it looks to have generous fairways and large greens.  I only saw a few of the holes though.  I enjoyed Hapuna but was annoyed by how claustrophobic it felt at times.

An aside about Hapuna.  On a very quite day on the course I got caught behind a regular group on my back 18 that played in over five hours.  To top it all off the sat beside the green, for I kid you not, ten minutes counting up their scores.  Had the weather not been so great, I might have minded.

Has anyone played Kohanaiki and do they allow any non-members?

Mark Pavy

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
Mike, here's a link to the whole Mauna Kea course in 2D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16yehEbXTQ
You can view it in 3D on my site, some of the topography changes need to be seen in 3D, 11 in particular.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
Kohanaiki does allow some outside play for a pretty hefty green fee..  Manea and Kukio would be great  if you can gain access.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back