News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

I'm sorry, but I just can't buy this one.  Take some responsibility for your own alignment.  "Tee blocks are crooked". "The tee is mowed pointing me to the right". "They used the wrong bunker sand". "The sand is too dry"  "The sand is too wet" All these inconsistencies and more are just part of what makes golf so great, more interesting and more unpredictable than most other sports.  Oh, and are clubs with moveable weights necessary?  Just play golf.  Thoughts?

David_Tepper

Re: The tee box points me in the wrong direction and other excuses...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:45 AM »
Josh -

I have seen tee boxes that do indeed point players off line until the requisite local knowledge is acquired.

DT

Josh Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
David.  As an observation, I get it.  But is it an excuse?  Hope all's well.  Met you at Sharp Park fundraiser years ago.

Josh

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
Josh -

Well, I suppose it can be used as an excuse at least the first time one plays that hole course. ;)

All is indeed well as I am 2 weeks into a 3 week stay in Dornoch.

DT
l   

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
Three weeks in Dornoch ??  My god I am envious .  Great scotch in the Castle bar .
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
I disagree about tee box alignment. It can lead to teeing off outside the teeing ground, which is either is 2 strokes, loss of hole or DQ

Robert Kimball

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
"They used the wrong bunker sand". "The sand is too dry"  "The sand is too wet"
''
'Holy crap did I used that one at Pebble Beach. The sand was indescribable.  My caddie said it's not even real sand that they crush shells. It's "kinda" like Augusta sad.  Man, you better have the stones to clip the ball very close, or the ball's just going to come right back at your big ol' sand divot you just made!!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
I'm sorry, but I just can't buy this one.  Take some responsibility for your own alignment.  "Tee blocks are crooked". "The tee is mowed pointing me to the right". "They used the wrong bunker sand". "The sand is too dry"  "The sand is too wet" All these inconsistencies and more are just part of what makes golf so great, more interesting and more unpredictable than most other sports.  Oh, and are clubs with moveable weights necessary?  Just play golf.  Thoughts?

There is a par 3 hole on our course where the tee box (and markers) points right of target.  I know this, and take extra time to aim every play, and I still think I'm aiming too far right on occasion.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »
Don't most courses have different bunker sand?  Not sure how this one is a viable excuse...

Definitely have heard the tee box one before, but remember there are no tee markers on the driving range...

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Garden City is very good at trying to get you to line up off line.
One of the first things I noticed about the course, brilliantly done in fact.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
There was an aged groundsman at a club who used to delight in deliberately setting the tee markers just very slightly offline. Once you knew what he was up to he'd got you hooked, devilishly worming his way into your brain. Wicked rascal!
atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »
I have a very hard time seeing how tee markers could cause one to line up improperly.
Are you looking at the target or the ground when you align?

One way to combat this is to tee up well behind the markers(6 inches to two feet) i.e. not exactly in line with them-amazing how many people I see every day lining up in front of them ::) ::) ::) those extra 3 inches are really going to help?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
My home club has 3 courses and they have 150 yard markers in the middle of the fairways which I really dislike.  I asked that they remove them for a senior event and some guys liked it but othera hated it.  To me, it is a distraction as you should be looking at the shape of the hole, best landing location, etc.,

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
Jeff:  You would be surprised to find out how many players think taking advantage of the full tee box is a penalty. 

One time I was looping in an "anything goes" match.  My man had his ball in his pocket on the 4th green and instructed me to go to the 5th tee, a par 3 and turn the tee markers 90 degrees so they faced the 13th green, which was about 100 yards away.

My man pressed, had his opponent (a first time guest) place it nicely on the 13th green, then lined up for his tee shot to the 5th green and his opponent went ballistic...
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
John: Now that's what I call the competitive spirit - take no prisoners. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back