News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Crane

Re: Lake Wales Country Club - 1925 Seth Raynor
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
Lake Wales C C still has numerous references on their website to Donald Ross as Architect.
Guess the new info has not settled in.
Wm Flynnfan

Rees Milikin

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
Rees,

Is it possible that the first photograph you posted is the 12th Hole?  The picture I'm referring to has the writing 347 On the Municipal Golf Course, Lake Wales, FL.

This picture shows a tee marker directly above the word Municipal.  You can also see what appears to be the flagstick on the green.  Being able to see the tee marker and green at the same time makes me think this is a Par 3.  It also appears to match many features that can be seen on the 1941 aerial you posted, such as the cross bunker being in line with a short and stout tree to the right of the fairway. 

Could this be the 12th hole?

Bret

Those were my exact thoughts and believe it to be the Redan hole in the northeast corner of the property.

I actually tried to purchase this picture from Ebay, but the guy who I ordered from didn't use any type of tracking and it was lost in the mail.

Lake Wales C C still has numerous references on their website to Donald Ross as Architect.
Guess the new info has not settled in.
Wm Flynnfan

I don't think it will ever settle in.

Ken Fry

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
Rees,

I'm confirmed to finally make a return trip to Lake Wales the beginning of March.  I'm looking forward to finally stopping in to Lake Wales CC and exploring the area a little bit.

Of course I'm most excited to get back to Mountain Lake.

Ken

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
Here are two articles to update this thread. Seth Raynor was also responsible for the back nine at Lake Wales Municipal (NKA Lake Wales Country Club). These articles were sent to me from Nigel Islam and Scott Edwards.

The Highlander., January 19, 1926:

On the day Raynor died, this article was published in the Tampa Tribune., January 23, 1926. The golf course opened 5 days later:

Tim Martin

Re: Lake Wales Country Club - 1925 Seth Raynor New
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:06 AM »
Wrong thread-Sorry
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:07:03 AM by Tim Martin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back