News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Grosse Ile Golf and Country Club!  There is hope for Golf!   (these photos were obtained on their Facebook page)

jeffwarne

Re: 20 Members pitch in to help clean up trees after a storm in SE Michigan!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
Geez a golf cart and clearly an overwatered fairway. ;) ;D
Hopefully you can restore the trees ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »
How many members does this club have?

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »
Very few.

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »

Carl,

Enough to make a difference and attempt to do what is right.  Some of the best Ross greens you will ever see period

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:05:18 AM by BCowan »

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »
I know of a few examples where members brought out their chainsaws and work gloves to clean up storm damage. Great to see a group who cares that much about their course.

I remember another local course that refused to allow its members to help clean up after a storm. Made no sense to me. Yes I understand the liability issue, but at some point that should not be all that matters. If members want to help out, they assume the risk. Let them help.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »
I haven't been paying much attention to the news but a relative in that area wrote about how bad it is around Detroit, and how bad they have been hit all year by weather and more economic disaster.  It ain't pretty.  One thing that was said is that 400,000 are and have been without power for days.  They just came off of unusual flooding where the sewer systems failed in many parts of the city.  Their potable water delivery and infrastructure is also reportedly a fail.  Sounds like a formula for serious civil unrest brewing to me. Not that Detroit has any experience with that. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »

Carl,

Enough to make a difference and attempt to do what is right.  Some of the best Ross greens you will ever see period

Just asking because there is another thread about good golfers vs. bad golfers going on now, and I was thinking that the good golfers would be out there working on the course, and the bad golfers not.  So the question then becomes "what's the ratio of good golfers vs. bad golfers at this club?"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »
Similar work earned me a Boy Scout merit badget 45 years ago.

Bogey
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:05:56 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
There is a note on the bulletin board at the club where I grew up asking for volunteers to help paint the ceiling of the newly renovated women's restroom. Which so happens was renovated by volunteers. I only know this because I was recently out there playing and developed a sour stomach. The man who had just finished installing the new toilets begged me to try out his handiwork. He was very proud, as he should have been.  It was a stag event so where could be the harm?

No worries, I left the ladies to their own devices. There are toilets in my own home that I have not touched.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »

Thats along the 16th.  Of all the places to lose trees  :D

Its good to see the club hangin' in there.  You gca bums, instead of drooling over this place and the other, get over to Grosse Ile, it has arguably the best set of greens in greater Detroit. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
Malone (New York) Golf Club hosts a "Work Bee" with members helping out to get their two 18-hole courses ready for play each spring. Typically 30-50 members (of the 700 +/-) show up to help out. The usual tasks are clearing out any fallen branches, weeding, etc. The club reciprocates with a lit lunch in the club's restaurant.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:31:34 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back