News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Treitler

Desert Forest Golf Club
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
So I am heading out to Scottsdale for a week at the end of October.   Naturally I emailed the General Manager letting him know that I am a huge fan of golf course architecture,used to be a golf pro, and would be thrilled to play the course.

He said while I cannot play the course he would be happy to show me the golf course, which I think is actually really cool.

So my question for those that have played Desert Forest... is it worth the time to do this?   Its a family vacation so I will have to pull some strings to find the time to do this.   

I love desert golf courses and apparently this is one of the better and original courses. 

Am I in for a special tour?  Or is it just a great desert course and nothing too unique? 

Any input would be much obliged.

Mike

Paul Jones

Re: Desert Forest Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
Mike,

I was fortunate to play the course about 8 years ago and loved it.  I am not a big fan of desert golf, but did enjoy this course.  No fairway bunkers and very interesting greens.  However, I (sounds like I am in the minority) actually liked the oval shaped bunkers that have been changed.

The club is all about the golf, great experience.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mike Treitler

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
Thanks for the response Paul.   I am going to try to swing this if I can.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
Definately do it.
It is a truly unique Desert course well worth the tour.

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
So I am heading out to Scottsdale for a week at the end of October.   Naturally I emailed the General Manager letting him know that I am a huge fan of golf course architecture,used to be a golf pro, and would be thrilled to play the course.

He said while I cannot play the course he would be happy to show me the golf course, which I think is actually really cool.

So my question for those that have played Desert Forest... is it worth the time to do this?   Its a family vacation so I will have to pull some strings to find the time to do this.   

I love desert golf courses and apparently this is one of the better and original courses. 

Am I in for a special tour?  Or is it just a great desert course and nothing too unique? 

Any input would be much obliged.

Mike

Great property...however, there are plenty of good options out there to experience a nice desert course that would actually allow you to play as well.

Either Course at We-Ko-Pa, either course at Troon North, Quintero etc....

Just a thought that might allow you to play while you are experiencing a great desert design.

Mike Treitler

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
thanks guys,

I have played both We-Ko-Pa, both Troon and Quintero haha.  So thats why I wanted to know if I am going to be seeing something unique here.  Sounds like I truly am though, now its just a matter of convincing the family to let me do it! 

Mike Treitler

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »
Speaking of public golf in Scottsdale.   I really love Sun Ridge Canyon and feel like its very underrated.   

Do you guys know why it is not considered in the same league as Troon, We Ko Pa, Talking Stick etc....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
Go play the Renegade Course at Desert Mountain. I thought the double green complexes were interesting.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Treitler

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
They have the Charles Schwaab cup at Desert Mountain that week unfortunately.   I have played the Outlaw there but never any of the others.   I love the property and actually tried to get a job there as an assistant pro a few years back.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
Th ething about Desert Forest is that it is so different from most desert courses.
There you are in the desert but you dont really like like you are playing a dsesrt course.
To me its feel is unique amongst"desert" courses in that the desert feature is actually played down rather than emphasised.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Th ething about Desert Forest is that it is so different from most desert courses.
There you are in the desert but you dont really like like you are playing a dsesrt course.
To me its feel is unique amongst"desert" courses in that the desert feature is actually played down rather than emphasised.

Very similar to what I was thinking. The uniqueness of Desert Forest, compared to many other courses in the area, is that it isn't trying to show you more, rather it is trying to show you less.

Most of the desert courses desire to get you out alone in the vast, severe desert. There seems to be a common theme of isolated corridors and big, brawny courses. DF is the opposite of that in many ways. The routing is tight and cozy. The course (as well as the club) gives off a low key vibe while remaining supremely challenging.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
I’ve had the privilege to play DFGC a number of times over the years, and just once after their recent renovations.  DFGC is one of my all-time favorite places to play golf.  It’s a great golf course perfectly tied to its environment with a welcoming membership and low-key, unstuffy ambiance.  It’s my sense that it’s a golfer’s club for people who appreciate the game.

Like I said, I only played the course once since the renovation work, and that was in February slightly after the course fully opened for play.  The recent work, in my opinion, introduced some positive changes (i.e. the new short par 4 #14, clearing out/pushing back some of the desert from the playing corridors, removing trees that reintroduced playing angles, etc.).  At the same time, some of the low-key charm like the oval/round shaped bunkers, were replaced by more of a minimalist frilly-edged styling.  It works in a lot of places where it ties in nicely with the desert, but seems out-of-character in a few.  In addition, there are a few notable changes (i.e. the bunker front right on #6, the new 8th green complex, and most notably the not-so-subtle internal mounds and swales put in many of the greens) that seem really out place with what was on the ground prior to the reno.

Like others have said, DFGC is different from many of the other high-profile golf courses, in that the course flows with the desert, instead of fighting it.  To me, it feels as if it drapes over the land, and its ripples and mounds and folds and bumps, like Prairie Dunes or Crystal Downs does.  It’s certainly been my favorite course in Arizona.

If you can play or see it, it’s worth it... especially if you’re able to compare it to a place like Whisper Rock, or Desert Mountain, or Troon North.  Enjoy.

John Crowley

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:01 PM »
Take the opportunity to see  "the best course in AZ". IMO.
I haven't seen the changes but the basic bones of the course are excellent.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
I agree with the comments that say Desert Forest is understated and low key compared to the other Scottsdale area courses, but I'm not sure I understand what some of you mean by the desert being played down. IMO, it is very present and there is no question you are playing a desert course. You often can see other holes, but there is still desert in between them. It is much more walkable than most other courses in the area, which is a big plus.

Desert Forest is a heck of a lot better than Quintero or Troon North, but I prefer We-Ko-Pa Saguaro because it gives a lot more width and room to play. I probably like Renegade and Outlaw at Desert Mountain better as well. I liked Desert Forest more the second time I played it, but there is no question it is a difficult course and the desert definitely plays into that.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Hi Andy,

You make several good points, and I don't think I disagree with anything you've said. I guess I just get the impression that many of the other highly thought of desert courses are trying to give the golfer a rugged, vast desert experience whereas DF, in my recollection, is simply more intimate. I'm suggesting more overall impressions as opposed to the golf specific characteristics of the course. You are absolutely right that the desert is ever present and plays a significant role in the course's difficulty.

I think the "feel" of the course is in large part attributed to its role as the first of its kind. When it was built, there was no attempt to try and outdo anyone else because there was no one else. I should read Brad Klein's book for more background, but I would imagine that rather than trying to go to extremes to maximize the desert golf experience, Lawrence and crew were simply exploring what could be realistically done in such an inhospitable environment. It is easy to see how that approach would yield the simplicity and intimacy that is Desert Forest.

It would be unfair for me to try and rank Desert Forest among other area courses. I played it quite a few years ago (15 I think) and while I still enjoyed golf courses immensely, I wasn't trying to figure out why at the time. That is why I'm left primarily with an overall impression of DF rather than a detailed recollection. Personally, I agree with your assessment of WeKoPa Saguaro as it might be my favorite course out there. Southern Dunes and *Outlaw are very high on that list as well.

*Did I read here that the membership has decided to do a wholesale renovation of Outlaw? I think it would be a shame as it brought a different experience for the membership. That said, it is their course, so they should do as they see fit.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »
Hi Andy,

You make several good points, and I don't think I disagree with anything you've said. I guess I just get the impression that many of the other highly thought of desert courses are trying to give the golfer a rugged, vast desert experience whereas DF, in my recollection, is simply more intimate. I'm suggesting more overall impressions as opposed to the golf specific characteristics of the course. You are absolutely right that the desert is ever present and plays a significant role in the course's difficulty.

I think the "feel" of the course is in large part attributed to its role as the first of its kind. When it was built, there was no attempt to try and outdo anyone else because there was no one else. I should read Brad Klein's book for more background, but I would imagine that rather than trying to go to extremes to maximize the desert golf experience, Lawrence and crew were simply exploring what could be realistically done in such an inhospitable environment. It is easy to see how that approach would yield the simplicity and intimacy that is Desert Forest.

It would be unfair for me to try and rank Desert Forest among other area courses. I played it quite a few years ago (15 I think) and while I still enjoyed golf courses immensely, I wasn't trying to figure out why at the time. That is why I'm left primarily with an overall impression of DF rather than a detailed recollection. Personally, I agree with your assessment of WeKoPa Saguaro as it might be my favorite course out there. Southern Dunes and *Outlaw are very high on that list as well.

*Did I read here that the membership has decided to do a wholesale renovation of Outlaw? I think it would be a shame as it brought a different experience for the membership. That said, it is their course, so they should do as they see fit.

I see what you are saying, and I think what you're feeling basically comes down to real estate courses vs., well, others. Even when they don't obviously feature homes lining the fairways, a huge number of courses out here were built with real estate in mind and so you get that sense of big courses with holes isolated from one another.

Meanwhile, the courses you note as favorites, are all exceptions to that. DF, Southern Dunes, and WeKoPa are all non-real estate properties (DF has homes surrounding the property, but they do not line holes and the course is essentially a "core" away from all the housing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back