News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Re: Mistwood (IL) Renovation - $6 Million well-spent? New
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
I was able to play Mistwood again yesterday (with a fellow GCA member). I just wanted to provide some feedback good and bad and see what others thoughts are after the renovation.

Hole 1 = Very similar
Hole 2 = Two large sod wall bunkers 50 yards from green with many options from tee (Iron to driver)
Hole 3 = Biggest overall change on the course. Water more in play on right, large fairway bunker to carry off the tee, hole shortened in length, and green surrounded on 3 sides by rock wall. Visually alot going on, but possibly easier than previous example.
Hole 4 = Very similar
Hole 5 = Very similar
Hole 6 = Very similar
Hole 7 = Very similar
Hole 8 = Very similar. Tough par 5 that many who have not even played here know about. Water is in play but more covered in spots with grass/contours. Probably a three shot hole for all but longest hitter, although aggressive line off tee could get you on green in two from forward/black tees.
Hole 9 = Rock wall and hazard on right side of green. Seems to be out of way from tee, but knowing I put two balls in there consecutively tells me otherwise.

Hole 10 = Very similar
Hole 11 = Very similar
Hole 12 = Small but very deep sod wall bunker directly in front of green
Hole 13 = Larger bunkers on left side
Hole 14 = Newer bunkers. One is sod wall and two just seem to be out place on far right side of hole. Playing froim correct tees can be all the difference with water carry from back tee to very little water seen from fenceline tees. The tee boxes on this hole make the player walk through long grass to tee the ball. Maybe a small thing but the redo was 6 million!
Hole 15 = Very similar. Able to carry the water between bunkers from black tees but have yet to step back onto back yellow tees. Ended up just short of green in two, so eagle is possible but unlikely.
Hole 16 = Bunker on left added. Also mowed to fairway length all the way to hole instead of long rough cut seperating fairway from green surround.
Hole 17 = Very similar with more views of lake than I remember
Hole 18 = Very similar. Would have liked to see the area between Hole 8 green and Hole 18 fairway opened up to mowable area here to eliminate hazard on both the right and left sides.

6 of 9 + 6 of 9 similar holes = 6 "newer" holes for 6 million dollars?
3 birdies and 88 total.
About 1 hour drive from downtown while passing by many courses on the way (I-55).
I do like the range balls free before the round, but based on location/price I am not sure how many times I will play here again before trying several new courses instead.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:35:07 PM by JHoulihan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back