News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Quite a few threads herein are about golf trips. And damn fine reading they make too with many including lots of helpful hints and suggestions.

How do you find your own golf game develops over the period of a golf trip?

Does your game start off rusty, get a bit better, get a bit tired, get a bit effected by the constant travelling or um, shall we say get effected by regular very social late evenings, and then you lose your game it entirely? Or do you generally manage to maintain pretty much the same level of game throughout the period of your trip?

Does it take you long to get used to different, maybe entirely new to you, ground or weather or other conditions?

Any thoughts?

atb

jeffwarne

Re: Golf trips - how does your own game develop during a golf trip?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Quite a few threads herein are about golf trips. And damn fine reading they make too with many including lots of helpful hints and suggestions.

How do you find your own golf game develops over the period of a golf trip?

Does your game start off rusty, get a bit better, get a bit tired, get a bit effected by the constant travelling or um, shall we say get effected by regular very social late evenings, and then you lose your game it entirely? Or do you generally manage to maintain pretty much the same level of game throughout the period of your trip?

atb

all of the above ;D ;) :o :o
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
Before this thread gets to far.

My brother and I would like to continue with the rights to playing Jeff Warne on the day he arrives overnight.

(PS My brother is an idiot, I told him to put some action on the match.)
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Before this thread gets to far.

My brother and I would like to continue with the rights to playing Jeff Warne on the day he arrives overnight.

(PS My brother is an idiot, I told him to put some action on the match.)

Not sure the next day was much better after my night with Neil and the innkeeper's cat ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
Not sure if "develop" is exactly the word I'd use.  Devolve would be more appropriate.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »
First day just off the plane is always awful golf... Then peak on day 2 or 3 before usually letting it go towards the end.

I'm pretty consistent with the above order.

Emil Weber

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:07 AM »
Usually, if I haven't played in a while and then play 10 rounds (at least  :P ) in 7 days it goes like this: the first 2 rounds are really good, because I can just swing without thinking too much. Then after 2-3 rounds and a few errant shots I start thinking about all details in the swing and I losse my game.. then after 6-7 rounds I start getting hold of what exactly I'm doing wrong and how to do it better and I start playing well again towards the end. I should probably stop thinking about it completely  ???  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:31:33 AM by Emil Weber »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »
Usually take a lesson right before the trip trying to get my get in shape and actually screws it up completely and I am a mess for the whole trip.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
Usually take a lesson right before the trip trying to get my get in shape and actually screws it up completely and I am a mess for the whole trip.

Just had a lesson yesterday, trying to get some pop in my swing before the Buda Cup in five weeks.  I've not been playing due to a knee injury.  The trip could be uglier than usual. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
My game when on a golf vacation is the same random mix of pretty good and downright awful as my usual game at home. Two exceptions.

The jet lag round a couple hours after getting off an overnight TATL flight is always awful. Especially the first few holes (stiff) and last few holes (pooped out) of the round.

If the wind blows more than 15mph for three or four days in a row it wrecks my swing and it may take several weeks playing back home to get back on track.

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
I am a two-kid workadaddy who is lucky to play 15 rounds a year.

I just went on a family vacation and took the clubs for the first time. I played five rounds in two weeks, which is a ton for me (I realize that's a light week for some of you). Then I played twice more upon returning home, while my wife and kids were still away.

I was hitting it halfway decent by the end of the trip. But my lag putting and chipping became miserable. On a 60 foot putt, I'm pulling it and pushing it 6 feet either way. I take the putter back and don't feel like I can bring it through square if I had to do it at gunpoint. Same thing if I try to hit a long running chip. Never had this problem before.

I think I'll take six months off.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »
I'm taking my son on a golf trip this summer and will let you know upon my return.

I suspect, with 36 a day, that my game will suffer as the trip gets longer.

36 for 2 or 3 days in a row is OK, but, I'm sure that 5 days in a row will take it's toll.

Youth has it's advantages. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back