News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Wonderful World of Golf Marathon on Golf Channel
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Maybe Littler played it where it actually ended up, not where we saw it end up?

Ryan:

The story I was told years ago at Pine Valley is that Littler actually made something like an 11 or a 13 on the 5th at Pine Valley in the televised event.  Since it was a stroke play competition and that would have taken a lot of the drama out of the competition, the organizers told John Arthur Brown, the president of Pine Valley, that they would show it as a 7 for TV to keep the game interesting. 

Mr. Brown replied that it was their business, but that none of them would be welcome again at Pine Valley.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 05:26:20 PM »
I recorded the five shows from Cotton Bay to Pine Valley and decided to make DVDs. Taking the commercials out left about 45 minutes per hours. I'd guess there were only about six minutes of commercials originally. I wonder what we're missing from each show. The original series would be a great box set, cleaned up and transferred to Blu-Ray.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
A handful of the SWWoG episodes are available on demand for Concast customers under Sports>Golf Channel, for those interested.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
My 3 favorite episodes are:

1. Pine Valley   Nelson v Littler
2. St. Andrews Cotton v Sarazen
3. Champions   Hogan v Snead

Wouldn't it be great if this series was reintroduced with current players and some of the newer top rated courses?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
I DVRed a few of them, but the one I was most eager to watch was the Els-Duval match at Cherokee Plantation. Those green complexes ate both guys up. Els must have missed six putts inside seven feet.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

BHoover

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
The Norman-Faldo match at Sunningdale Old was my favorite. The match looked to be played in mid-summer and the course was firm and fast. I told my wife when watching it that Sunningdale is my idea of what a golf course should be...she thought it looked like any other course she's seen.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but in the Pine Valley episode and the St Andrews episode players are putting on the green while leaving the flagstick in?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but in the Pine Valley episode and the St Andrews episode players are putting on the green while leaving the flagstick in?
that was allowed under the rules of golf when they were filmed.

JWL

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »
Nicklaus-Trevino at Cabo del Sol Ocean.....for obvious reasons  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back