News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The "Disused" Bunkers of Sunningdale
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
The depression in the foreground is described in the club website as "disused" as the hole once turned left past it.  

My photograph indicates it's coming back to life quite nicely:

For what it's worth, the bunker is not depicted on the Strokesaver.

Bogey
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:46:40 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

Re: The "Disused" Bunkers of Sunningdale
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
Another - the geniune article:

Mike

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:08 AM »

Quite a bit of wet mud in this area. Foot marks too, although not sure from the photo if they're animal or manmade foot/hoof/etc marks.

What would be the ruling if you're ball was in the wet mud?

It's not a defined hazard. It's not cut and prepared. Would casual water apply to wet mud? If the ball were 'stuck' in the mud rather than just sitting on top of it, would embedded ball apply? Free drop? Penalty drop? No drop?

Any thoughts?

Atb

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
Excellent point Thomas, but for the sake of discussion: 

Must it be "cut and prepared."  Don't we spend a lot of time on this site shouting down manicuring?

I find the ruggedness of this hazard charming and can't help but think this is not-altogether inconsistent with the course presentation back in the day.  Absent the mud, is this not an acceptable penalty for driving the ball way over there? 

I had no trouble hacking out and making 5. ;)

Mike

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
Bogey,

Sounds like you're on the trip as we type......enjoy every minute if that's the case!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
Greetings Joe.  My trip was in late May.  To date, it was the trip of a lifetime.  All six courses played make my top 25 and I am hard pressed to exclude either Sunnindale course, Deal, Sandwich or Walton Heath Old from my top 10.  I remain blown away.  I'm totally comfortable that each is "great."  Even then a day at Huntercombe with GCA's best hockey player was their equal.  Maybe I'll put a thread together.

Hope and your family are well.

Mike

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
Great itinerary Bogey.  I have been to Sunningdale but the others you listed, including Huntercombe, really hit my sweet spots.  Throw in Rye and Littlestone and you'd be looking at part of my Top 30.  I love that necklace of gems along England's Southeast coast from Rye to Princes. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back