News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Now THIS is a Top Shot Bunker
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »

or two.  Maybe a thin shot bunker is a better description.  Very intimidating for us low ball hitters.  Had to go with the 3-wood.  Can't imagine anyone getting away with such a design today.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:25:37 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ward peyronnin

Re: Now THIS is a Top Shot Bunker
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »
Location ? Or is this in your own mind Bogey
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
You are right that nobody would get away with that tee shot today, but just for argument's sake, isn't the sand superfluous there?

And in the pic on your other thread, too?

Michael Felton

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
I know it isn't, but this reminds me of the 2nd tee at Royal Ashdown Forest. Although I haven't played there in a while so I may be completely mistaken.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »
Big Ward, that is the tee shot at the 7th at Sunningdale Old.   The photo doesn't do it justice,  that bank is much higher and closer to the tee than it appears. 

Tom, the website also refers to those as disused bunkers.  No doubt double jeopardy, but definite attention grabbers. It would be interesting to know if they were remnants of Park, Jr.'s original work.

Mike

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:51:58 AM »
Mike, Darwin writes about the seventh in 'The Golf Courses of the British Isles'. Park's original hole was blind on the approach as well as the drive; the green was much lower down and a long way to the left - it's now heavily wooded, but if you explore in the trees you can still find traces of it. Here's the quote:

"The seventh is a bone of contention, some averring that it is a fine 'sporting' hole, while others have no names too bad for it; when not alluded to with profanity it is generally known as the 'Switch-back' hole. Those who like a blind tee shot and a blind second will admire it, and those who don't won't, and there is the matter in a very small compass.

Colt moved the green to its present location, not long after Darwin wrote that (so around 1910-11). I think it is my joint favourite hole on the golf course, along with the twelfth.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:18:48 AM »
Here is another 7th at another heathland course... Of the same ilk (although I wish they'd get rid of the hard paths)

And for argument’s sake back, I do think you could get away with this today and I don’t think the sand is superfluous…. Once or maybe twice in a round, I find the idea of hitting over a large, penal, top-shot bunker quite a thrilling encounter… Other classic examples include the 4th at Westward Ho and the 16th at Ganton…

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:23:43 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
Adam, the only downside of Colt's relocation of the green up and to the right is an awkward walk-back to the 8th tee.   After a relative pedestrian first hole, this is a fine stretch of golf holes.

Mike

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
I love top shot bunkers. They should never enter your mind. But.....they do. Most have been filled in over the years. Put them back! Let's have some fun and stop over analyzing.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »

or two.  Maybe a thin shot bunker is a better description.  Very intimidating for us low ball hitters.  Had to go with the 3-wood.  Can't imagine anyone getting away with such a design today.

Mike

Fascinating.  Why are you playing off the ladies tees?
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
 8) some top shot bunkers appear bigger than others, and take some time (and balls) getting used to

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
That would have been interesting.  What if they never grassed the ridge on OM #3?  just the tee and the fairway?
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
Nah, try this from yee olde Aberdovey -

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back