News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

PAINSWICK--how steep is the hill on the first hole?
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
Consider this a shout out to those who have played there.

How steep is the first hole and how much is hyperbole?  Is it, for example, any steeper than some of the early holes (I think it was 2 and 3) at Royal Hague?  I'll be motoring from Scotland to Cornwall for the BUDA and I thought I might add the holy of holies in Gloucestershire to my resume.  Of course, I could always try to do it on the way back, so that if I die on the first hole I won't have missed the BUDA and there will be no need for a last minute substitute from the usually willing ranks of locals.

If the hole is so steep it requires mountaineering gear and a caddie named Norgay, I'll probably give it a pass.

Also, once you manage the initial climb, how much mountain goat DNA is required for the remainder of the course.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jason Topp

Re: PAINSWICK--how steep is the hill on the first hole?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »
Pretty steep - but I would not pass on playing the course because of a 240 yard uphill climb.  I do not recall being winded by the walk.

The walk is pretty easy once you get up that hill.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
My best guess is that it's 80-90 feet uphill ... in a distance of 700 feet.  If they mowed the fairways really tight, you'd be afraid of the ball rolling back to you.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
It is a lot less steep if you tack from side to side.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »
It's not the ball rolling back that worries me.  It's me.  I've seen film of those cheese rolling contests they used to have in the area.  I don't want to resemble a wheel of double gloucester gaining momentum all the way down.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
Steve will be tacking from side to side as he plays hickories
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Steve Wilson

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:46 PM »
Actually Ward, if you recall our conversation on the putting green at Royal Hague, when you asked "Why do they have to make everything so GD hard."  I think the hickories are just that part of my Dutch ancestry emerging.  Like I said it's not the tacking, it's the potential for chutes and ladders.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help me gathering data.  This of course isn't meant to keep any cardiologists with extra knowledge from intervening.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 01:23:19 AM »
The climb is steep enough that a couple of stops for a blow are helpful. 

The climbs up and over the ramparts on 5 and 10 are the other testing hikes.

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 02:11:15 AM »
It will probably be the steepest hill you have played.

The ramparts are fun but also hilly.

If you take your big 12" pro-bag, with 14 clubs, two umbrellas, two dozen balls, your practice balls, three bananas and two litres of beverages, well you are a fool.

If you travel light - no problems.

Remember to take a few moments to gather your breath before you undertake your 50 yard pitch onto the first green - it is one of the most testing shots of the round, especially if you are oxygen challenged.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:04:03 AM »
Steve,

Can one utilise braces or suspenders enabling some sort of belay action as you traverse this hill?  Surely you won't have to abseil or rappel anywhere on the way home?

I am so jeaous that you are making it to The Buda …… tip your hat to St. Enodoc as you pass.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 04:45:12 AM »
Steve,

The 1st at Painswick is indeed steep, but a significant proportion of the membership at Painswick are Seniors and they manage it frequently okay.

James makes a very valid point about what to take with you onto the course.

I would not use a pull-trolley both because of the steep slopes and because the paths are rocky and bumpy. My recommendation is that you use a small, lightweight 'Sunday' bag with just a few clubs, say 6-8 max, plus a lightweight camera, coz most likely you won't be able to resist taking loads of pix.

It's a course/place for strolling and admiring, not for rushing around, so sit on a bench, take in the views and chill for a while.

And while you're in the area, drive about 8 miles down the road and play Minchinhampton Old - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48765.0.html - it's good golf too, with plenty of quirk, and, as a hickory man, I'm sure you'll like it's yee olde style. It's also a pretty flat walk.

atb

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:45 AM »
The tee shot is really about 150 yards, (plays 180) its only that bit which is really steep but its 60-70 foot up, the next bit to the green is almost level..certainly makes me puff. Thats the worst bit. 5th, 10th and up to the 16th tees are not so bad.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:54 AM »
I've not played Painswick yet, but the first does not appear to be anything like as steep as the 18th at Reddish Vale which climbs 100ft in 140 yards.

A climb at the end of a round has got to be a lot harder than at the beginning, yet we have plenty of members in their 70s and 80s tackling it day in day out.

Look on it as an aerobic opportunity!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:47:32 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
I'd reckon its about a 15% slope. 1:6 in old money.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:18:27 PM »
It's not the ball rolling back that worries me.  It's me.  I've seen film of those cheese rolling contests they used to have in the area.  I don't want to resemble a wheel of double gloucester gaining momentum all the way down.

Cheddar Gorge is relatively close, but you have to watch the Welsh and double stilton (obscure)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
Pete,
I was at/in Cheddar Gorge in 1997.  A truly cool place.  No cheese rolling on that occasion.

Thomas Dai

Re: PAINSWICK--how steep is the hill on the first hole? New
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »
A further thought on the steepness of Painswick. The 1st tee is adjacent to the public road to the clubhouse and a further public road crosses the course after a few holes. Drive to these points and see what you think about walking the slopes - if you don't reckon you can walk up them, motor off to Minch' Old just a few miles away and play there instead. It's a nice flat walk at M'-O and with plenty of quirk too.
Atb
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:22:52 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back