News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Kang

bunker trauma
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
hi all,

with the Open this week, I was reflecting on the nastiest, "you shouldn't be here anyway" bunkers. The 2 that immediately came to mind are the bunker to the RIGHT of the 8th green at Yale (recovery over the raised right side, good luck with that, champion) and the short right bunker on 10 at RSG (walking past it is traumatic enough, can't imagine actually being in it).  What bunkers keep you up at night/have evoked a visceral reaction?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: bunker trauma
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:33 AM »
That bunker in Yale definitely.

There are a few on The Old Course that could be next to impossible when they were keeping the sand flat and barely flashed up.

Talking of TOC, I walked it on Sunday. Even since 2010 (and certainly since 2005) the fairways have narrowed considerably - it's really sad to see.... But that's for another thread.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:12:48 AM »
Any bunker to the left of #2 green at Kingsley is a death sentence, as I found out last year.

The bunker over #14 green at Brookside is utterly traumatic.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:24:09 AM by Brian Hoover »

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »
I rarely get traumitized by bunkers except for the odd bit of bad luck lie, but that is really quite rare.  I can't think of specific bunkers, but for courses in general, I was mildly traumitized by the bunkering at Yeamans Hall.  Hard packed sand with high, steep banks is a harsh combo for greenside play. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
I would suggest that bunker trauma has probably declined as the years have gone by. Indeed sometimes I'm amazed that the game didn't die out from being too hard, especially when there were hazards like this -

and the clubs were like this -

and golf balls were like this -

:)
atb

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
The DA bunker on 10 at Pine Valley
Hole 2 at Yale, bunkers left
Hole 15 at Philly Cricket Wissahickon, bunker left
Hole 10 at Myopia, Taft Bunker
Hole 3 at Merion East, Right bunker
Shipwreck hole at Boston GC, bunkering right of green
Hole 16 at Stonewall Bunker short of fairway

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:32:39 PM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Paul Gray

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »

Sadly, the widow bunker at Hayling is long gone. I would dearly love to see it reintroduced. Very tough, yes, but you'd always find your ball in it and that can't be said for the rough which now sits where it once was. The picture here is, I believe, actually during it's tamer period.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jim Sherma

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Tobacco Road - bunker short of 11's green. Not sure what the plan is if you're down there.

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »
I would suggest that bunker trauma has probably declined as the years have gone by. Indeed sometimes I'm amazed that the game didn't die out from being too hard, especially when there were hazards like this -

and the clubs were like this -

and golf balls were like this -

:)
atb

It was also tougher to bathe, eat and survive.

Maybe a BIT hardier back then?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
Whistling Straits, left of #17.

Yes, that’s me in the bunker; photo courtesy of Dan Moore

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:22:12 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
Howard,

Who's the umpire signalling for a six? Did you over hit it from there?  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:23 PM »
Howard,

Who's the umpire signalling for a six? Did you over hit it from there?  ;D

I asked my brave caddie to give me an aiming point. Incredibly, I got out of the bunker in one shot ... only to three putt.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back