News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Macpherson

NEW BOOK - Golf's Royal Clubs.
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:32:56 AM »
Hi All,

Over the last 4 years I having been working on a new book which celebrates the 66 golf clubs that have received the royal title from the British Royal Family. In 2012 the book was commissioned by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews for Her Majesty The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  

Entitled Golf's Royal Clubs, the book spans 180 years from 1833 to 2013 and features a 30 page royal golfing history section, a chapter on the spread of the British Empire and its impact on golf, and a chapter on how clubs have attained the royal title. Most of the book however is dedicated to the royal clubs themselves. We give 6 pages to each royal golf club complete with recent photos of the clubhouse and course, and a map of each royal course. To give you a feel for the book, attached are images of cover of the book, the maps showing where all the royal clubs are, and a sample of the first two pages of the section on the Royal Wellington Golf Club.

A book signing has been organised for 11am Thursday 17th July in the main retail tent on the right side of the 3rd hole at The Open Championship. The bulk of the books arrive in the UK next week but there will be 35 advance copies available at The Open. The book features a bonded leather cover, 490 full colour pages, maps of all the royal courses, and a fold-out, and will be on sale for an Open Special price of £60 (normal RRP £75). If you are at Hoylake this week, and would like a copy, it would be nice to meet you.

For those who would like to order the book by email, write to: catherinemcgirk@randa.org

regards,

Scott

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:41:52 PM by Scott Macpherson »

Sean_A

Re: NEW BOOK - Golf's Royal Clubs.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:33 AM »
Scott

I didn't think I had much interest in this topic. However, I am so impressed with your Evolution book that I will be purchasing your new book.  I am confident that you have written a winner.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Terry Thornton

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:21:01 AM »
Scott,

If you are able please place one aside for me and I'll drop by Thursday.

Terry

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:30:27 AM »
Scott- congratulations on this new book.

I look forward to adding it to my library.

Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:47:22 AM »
Hi Sean, Ben

I am thrilled with this new book. I think you will both like it also. As well as documenting those well known royal clubs, it highlights many very interesting but lesser known royal clubs. All the royal clubs have participated in this book, and amongst other things, it elevates our understanding of the process of gaining the royal title.

Terry, I am sorry that I am not in a position to put books aside. With a little luck there will be one still available when you get there.

By the way, we are just in negations with Waterstones, and I think the book will be available in their bookstores from early August – though you may need to use their free in-store transfer system to order it down from the Waterstones in St Andrews.

regards,

Scott

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
Peter Allis on the TV today

"Probably one of the most magnificent golf books I've ever seen".

Let's make GCA grate again!

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:57:45 AM »
I just picked up one of the first copies available to non-Royals here at The Open and the book is a beauty. Congratulations Scott on another impressive publication.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »
Is the book available in the U.S. or is shipping available?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
I just picked up one of the first copies available to non-Royals here at The Open and the book is a beauty. Congratulations Scott on another impressive publication.

Geoff,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the book.
Tim Weiman

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 03:04:26 AM »
Scott, I recently met a German gent who produced a coffee book style book celebrating the Royal Golf Clubs. Have you guys crossed paths?
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 06:17:20 AM »
Really excited to get my hands on a copy of this book Scott. All the best with sales. I hope it sells out!
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Carl Johnson

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 08:26:59 AM »
Scott: regarding "For those who would like to order the book by email, write to: CatherineMcGirk@randa.org."  I e-mailed her the day you made the post about the book, asking how I could order by mail, and I've had no response.  Just keep waiting???

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the nice comments and your interest.

Howard; Just email catherinemcgirk@randa.org. She can send it anywhere, and I hope she will respond to you confirming this.

Geoff; Nice to see you at The Open, and thanks for your support.

Ru; Not sure I am aware of the German chap who you mentioned.

Carl; I know Catherine is very busy collating all the sales of the book for the Royal Clubs. I hope you will get a response soon. Keep me informed.

Scott

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
Scott,

You should start a new thread to see who has played the most courses. My bet is on Gary Player!

Bob

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »
Peter Alliss just gave you a plug on worldwide TV Scott !!  :)
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 10:00:15 AM »
Thanks Matthew for letting me know. I haven't been watching The Open today – instead I have enjoyed my first round of golf with fellow GCA'ers. Thanks to Tony Muldoon, Niall Carlton, and Martin Bonner for a fun morning at North Berwick. I can say however that Peter Alliss is proving be to very supportive of the book – Waterstones have just increased their order! Will sit down now and see if Rory can win the Jug.

Scott

PS;  Bob, I have heard stories that there is someone who has gone around the royal clubs to play as many as possible, but much like the Abominable Snowman, I wonder if they exist because know one has anything other than anecdotal evidence.

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Carl Johnson, I just mailed her and got an out of office reply.

I am out of the office until Monday, 4 August 2014 and will respond to any E-mails then.

If you are enquiring about the "Golf's Royal Clubs" book, please contact Claire Cooper on 01334 460069

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Is there a bigger picture of the world map? Or a table of contents?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »
Howard; Just email catherinemcgirk@randa.org. She can send it anywhere, and I hope she will respond to you confirming this.

Thanks. I sent Catherine an email and received her out-of-office. I'll follow up with her colleague, Claire.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back