News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Mahaffey

Another reason to love The Open Championship
« on: July 20, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
The Greenkeeper is up there with the suits and gets introduced during award ceremony.
Guarantee you will not see that at the PGA Championship

Tom Walsh

Re: Another reason to love The Open Championship
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:56:09 PM »
good one--and another is Peter Dawson reading off the prize winners. Chills every time.
"vado pro vexillum!"

Don Hyslop

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
It always is very special to hear the phrase, introducing the champion golfer of the year.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »
Justin Leonard, Champion's Address, 21 July 1997, Troon

"I made a few notes. [Laughter]

"It's been a great week. It hasn't hit me yet, so if it hits me during the speech, I'll go ahead and apologize.

"There are a few people I'd like to thank from the championship committee: Peter Greenhough, Ian Valentine, Billy McLachlan, the superintendent. I thought the course was just fabulous this week. I think all of the players would agree with that. I don't know if you have control of the weather, but if you do, nice job. [Laughter]

"Mr. Bonallack, thank you for all your preparations and for allowing me to come over here and get a chance to play. I came over the last two years to qualify, was fortunate enough to qualify for the championship. Hopefully I won't have to again, but if I do, I'll come. [Laughter]

"I'd also like to thank my playing partners all week long, especially the last two days. Darren Clarke on Saturday. Darren and I actually met during the qualifying for the championship at St. Andrews. He's a great guy. He's a great player and he had a great week. It was nice. We had a nice, relaxing round.

"Today I felt real fortunate to be paired with Fred Couples. You know, I call him a friend of mine. He's just great. We laughed our way around. He's always very relaxed. And he's really one of my favorite players. So, it was a real honor to play with him and to be able to play well. [Applause]

"I'd like to congratulate [low amateur] Barclay Howard. I had opposite tee times with you Thursday and Friday, so I got to watch quite a bit of your play. Outstanding. I think the American side in the upcoming Walker Cup Matches is going to have a tough time with you. [Applause]

"I'd also like to congratulate Jesper [Parnevik] and Darren. They're both wonderful players. They both deserve to win this tournament. I think it just happened to be my week. But I'm sure that both these players will win many more tournaments and many more majors. I just feel fortunate to be able to do what I did against two great players. [Applause]

"I just want you to know that I'm here alone this week. Just myself and my caddie, Bob Reifke. [Applause as Leonard sniffles and holds back tears] "Moment, please. [Applause/cheers]

"I think it just hit me. [Laughter]

"But to everybody: my family, all my friends in Dallas, Randy Smith my instructor, I know they're kicking themselves, but this isn't some place you can just, you know, catch a 5 o'clock flight.

"I'm looking forward to getting home. I know they're having a really fun time right now. [Laughter] So, I'll make sure I get some Advil on the way through the airport for them. It's a shame they couldn't be here, but at the same time, maybe that helped me focus a little bit. So, anyway, I know they're here with me in spirit, and that's really all that matters. Thank you." [Applause]

Source: Golf Digest.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Alistair Beggs, the captain of RLGC, who presented the Claret Jug, is one of Britain's leading golf agronomists too!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
Alistair Beggs, the captain of RLGC, who presented the Claret Jug, is one of Britain's leading golf agronomists too!

I thought he looked familiar.  He played for the UK side in the 2006 Buda Cup at Hoylake, contributing a couple of thumpings to our boys if I remember correctly. 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
Don,

I was impressed as well.  These guys should given credit for what they do.  There is no venue without them.  I would go so far as to say that with NO input from the ruling bodies, the supers would present great courses.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back