News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Phillips

Lisbon
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
Making a 6-day trip to Lisbon, Portugal mid-October - will be with my wife and daughter so not a 'golf trip' but hope to squeeze in a round or two in exchange for some spa visits!  Any suggestions for best / closest GCA?

Bill_McBride

Re: Lisbon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
With regards to golf near Lisbon I've only played Estoril and that was 50+ years ago! but Lisbon is a great city to poke around in. You can hike from the main square up to the top of the city, the Castelo San Jorge, via a historic elevator into the Alfama and then up a series of narrow, winding medieval streets.  The views from the top are spectacular.   Drink some vinho verde and listen to fado in a smoky bar.  Wander around the waterfront with lanteen-sailed boats unloading fresh fish at the stone quays. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
Oitavos is the obvious answer; it's not as good as the rankings make it out to be and unfortunately the owner thinks he is both a golf architect and a greenkeeper, so it isn't achieving all it should, but there are some wonderful holes, it's a beautiful spot and it has everything you'd want from holiday golf. Drew Rogers, who designed the course on behalf of Hills/Forrest, did an excellent job - I know there's a bunch of things he'd like to change and hope he gets chance to do so one day.

I second Bill's praise for Lisbon. A wonderful city, one of the nicest in Europe. And the food is some of the best you will find anywhere. Especially if you like seafood.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
Its not that far to Praia del Rey - maybe 1.5 hours. Plus, the ladies can have a fine day out at Obidos - maybe just over an hour away. In fairness, you would probably want to see Obidos, its that cool.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
Obidos is an amazing little walled city. And Praia d'el Rey is worth playing. About 15mins away, maybe 30.

If you played at Oitavos Dunes they could hang out in Cascais, a nearby resort town. 

Away from golf, Sintra is an absolute must-see.

Have a great trip.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »
Very much appreciate the golf and touring suggestions...this is a one-time trip and it sounds like a great destination...if I can fit in golf I will report back on my thoughts!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back