News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Ranking the Commonwealth Opens
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »
I'd rank the British Open first. Any debate?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Ranking the Commonwealth Opens
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Yes. That's not a 'Commonwealth' open.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
Well, what is it, then?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
It is a true open. It is not administered by a national golf organization. It is run by golf's global administrator (ex US & Mexico).
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
Self-appointed global administrator. Not a whole lot of Paraguayan, Tasmanian, Eritrean or Icelandic influence/contribution in golf's "global administrator." It's a bunch of Brits, simple and plain. Let's not apply pomp too freely. You're fortunate I'm granting you Commonwealth status.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
It's a bunch of Brits, simple and plain.

With respect, if you believe that I'm happy to sell you the Forth Bridge. But whatever, it's your thread, Ronaldinho. If you want to posit The Open as the 'national' championship of 'Britain', be my guest. It's your world and we're just renting in it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
Oh, I'll posit all right...just you wait and see how I posit.

Would you rank presentation of R&A Open ahead of USGA Open, all categorization aside?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
It is deeply disturbing you have maneuvered me somehow into defending the R&A.  :P

Enough of that. What do you mean by 'presentation'? Do you mean how the courses are set up, use of grandstands, choices of venues, all the above, what?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »

The Open
Australian
Canadan
New Zealand
South African
India

If we put the US as part of the Commonwealth it might stir up some locals ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:14:03 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
I wasn't aware that there was a British Open.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
Can I ask why we're even bothering to rank 'Commonwealth' opens? What is supposed to be special to golf about that designation?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 08:08:50 PM »
Um, the Open then lots of daylight.
The other don't really count anymore given that global players no longer bother to come out to play unless they are well paid and that does nothing but diminish the whole event.  The PGA tour has basically killed off everything - the giant vampire squid of the golfing world

The Australian was great when the Americans came out, or when Norman was in his prime, or even toward the end when it was still played on decent courses. But while it still has some provincial charm it has lost much of its cache. Sydney has purchased the rights forever in a sad attempt to be seen as a more sporty city than Melbourne, which means the choice of decent venues is limited to three, none of which will set the world afire.

Chris Kane

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:21:22 AM »
Sydney has purchased the rights forever in a sad attempt to be seen as a more sporty city than Melbourne, which means the choice of decent venues is limited to three, none of which will set the world afire.
It is more accurate to say that NSW Government saved the tournament by purchasing the rights - just like Victoria has purchased the rights to the Masters and Queensland has purchased the PGA. All three are on life support and reliant upon government funding.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 04:37:52 AM »

The Open
Australian
Canadan
New Zealand
South African
India

After this week's field, I'd say The Scottish Open is number two.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 07:35:08 AM »
I wasn't aware that there was a British Open.

Precisely. There should be. It should be. It would not take away from it one bit. The"Open Championship" is a competition with no geographic distinction. It is the open championship of an organization, not a country. In essence, it is little more than the US Masters and is that bit more because it has open qualifying, unlike the US Masters.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »
Ronald,

Britain isn't a country. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
Ronald,

Britain isn't a country. 

Can you point out where I listed it as such?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »

The Open
Australian
Canadan
New Zealand
South African
India

After this week's field, I'd say The Scottish Open is number two.
once they gain independence ;).

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
Another funny thread.  RoMo wanted to go down path "X" and the inmates are pushing the thread down path "Y".  I'll play along in the spirit RoMo desired.

The British Open
The U.S. Open
The Australian Open
The Scottish Open
The Canadian Open
The French Open
The Irish Open
The 5th Major
The Jones Invitational
Rivermont Two-Man Match Play

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »
Ronald you clearly haven't seen the R&A's membership list, I can assure you there are more Americans, Fijians, Indians and Australians that in the USGA. Do you know the nationality of the current Captain or last years?
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
Ronald

Rank the top five Commonwealth Opens you've played.

Patrick

Steve Wilson

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
I was under the impression that the geographic distinction for "The Open" was the world.  Barring the emergence of any talented extra terrestrials in the immediate future, I think the world is the largest entity we have to account for.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
I was under the impression that the geographic distinction for "The Open" was the world.  Barring the emergence of any talented extra terrestrials in the immediate future, I think the world is the largest entity we have to account for.

Steve,

as far as I am aware, till the first Open there had been various club and invite tournaments. It was decided to hold a tournament where all the best players could play in, open to all. The name 'Open Championship' is because of what it was/is not where it was supposed to represent.

Jon

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 03:17:10 AM »
Ronald,

Remember I told you about that old editor of mine who taught me "stick to what you know"?

He also taught me "don't use big words you don't understand".

I should put you fellas in touch with one another.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Um, the Open then lots of daylight.
The other don't really count anymore given that global players no longer bother to come out to play unless they are well paid and that does nothing but diminish the whole event.  The PGA tour has basically killed off everything - the giant vampire squid of the golfing world

The Australian was great when the Americans came out, or when Norman was in his prime, or even toward the end when it was still played on decent courses. But while it still has some provincial charm it has lost much of its cache. Sydney has purchased the rights forever in a sad attempt to be seen as a more sporty city than Melbourne, which means the choice of decent venues is limited to three, none of which will set the world afire.

Wait, the Aussie Open is only going to be in and around Sydney IN PERPETUITY?  I believe that's the worst thing I've ever heard.  As for the original question, I don't know what the best is, but the Australian immediately drops to last.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:21:38 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back