News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Gary Player Has Played 90 of the Top 100 Courses in the World
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »
Sean

Neither of us were there and I'm only relaying it as told by one of the pro's so you could very well be right, however the pro was quite certain and vehement in his criticism of Player. The pro mentioned several specific instances of where Player was highly critical and how in general he moaned about the course but when he spoke to the officials he spoke in glowing terms which in no way could tally with his earlier comments to his playing companions. It was this hypocrisy which they found quite startling.

Now I suspect that we've all found ourselves in situations where we've either been diplomatic in passing comment or perhaps even told a bit of a white lie so as not to cause offence, however what shocked the two pro's was GP going out of his way to speak to the Committee guys and feed them a load of BS.

Niall 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »
I took it to mean he'd played 9/10ths of his best courses!   
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
He is prone to exaggeration. Peter Allis once said that every time he met him, he'd managed too add another 10 career wins.

Are we REALLY supposed to believe someone's views on exaggeration, when that someone (Ryan Coles) adds an extra "o" to the word "to"?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Okula

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:51 PM »
I have never understood this compulsion by certain people to bash Player's character. It is always based on hearsay (i.e. bullshit), the people who slander him here have never actually met him.

I have had personal dealings with the gentleman, and in my experience he has been unfailingly honest and polite.

His golf course designs are fair game for criticism, but unless you have first hand knowledge, please shut up about his behavior.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Paul Gray

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
I have never understood this compulsion by certain people to bash Player's character. It is always based on hearsay (i.e. bullshit), the people who slander him here have never actually met him.

I have had personal dealings with the gentleman, and in my experience he has been unfailingly honest and polite.

His golf course designs are fair game for criticism, but unless you have first hand knowledge, please shut up about his behavior.

Steve,

I imagine those R&A officials would be left with the same impression as you. That's kind of the point.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

William_G

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »
well done GP

for a pro to have any interest beyond their paycheck and FEDEX points is a good thing

interesting how right from the start this thread involved others and their resume of play and the word I

should all architects of golf courses have a requirement of playing/seeing the world's aggregate top 100, before claiming the title of Golf Architect?

or what number should it be?

It's all about the golf!

Paul Gray

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
William,

There may be a sneaking suspicion that GP was a little liberal with the truth.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »
should all architects of golf courses have a requirement of playing/seeing the world's aggregate top 100, before claiming the title of Golf Architect?

or what number should it be?

I made the original post because I was genuinely impressed that Mr. Player had gone out of his way to play some of those courses.  Now, as it turns out, maybe not so much.

There's no number of courses you ought to see to be a golf course architect -- and no number of championships you should have won, either, as Mr. Player has previously suggested.  I think it has helped me in multiple ways to have seen a lot of great courses, but that's not the only way to do it ... Dr. MacKenzie, for one, didn't know many great courses when he started.

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
One could plausibly argue that, Ben Crenshaw aside, winning pro tournaments might actually be a hindrance to becoming a really good GCA.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul Gray

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
One could plausibly argue that, Ben Crenshaw aside, winning pro tournaments might actually be a hindrance to becoming a really good GCA.

Mackenzie certainly thought so.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
The official statement is thus: Gary Player has played 90 of the top 100 courses in the world of their kind.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
There are so many golf courses in the top 100 that it is possible to play perhaps 250. Whose top 100. No one is pope. It is all subjective.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Paul Gray

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
There are so many golf courses in the top 100 that it is possible to play perhaps 250.......

Nicely put.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back