News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Blaisdell

Sand Creek Station
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:14:29 AM »
    I'll be working the USGA Public Links Championship at Sand Creek Station in Newton, Kansas next week (Last APL , sad to say!) and I have never seen the course and know ziltch about the layout.

Anyone have any info that they may share would be much appreciated.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Mark Saltzman

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Sand Creek Station
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »
I know a bit about it....

I am trying to work my schedule around getting up there sometime next week to see at least one day. Not sure if I will make it, but sure would like to see it in high level tournament action.

They play the KS am and maybe senior AM on occasion's.  I hear they shorten 10 way up.  2 is usually thought of as too narrow and the tree at the green (can always take it down, but they haven't yet) and wetland make it a true accuracy par 5)

Other than that, most golfers report they like it.  It has a lot of CBM and other classic inspired holes to make up for flat topo.  Not sure how many notice that.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris Wagner

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
I enjoy the tree on 2, I hope they leave it.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »
Chris, thank you!

You hit a short iron over it, so should be doable, and I built a huge kick plate behind the green which should leave a little wiggle room to play long.  Might require some creativity, but some golfers don't that shot.....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
I know a bit about it....

I am trying to work my schedule around getting up there sometime next week to see at least one day. Not sure if I will make it, but sure would like to see it in high level tournament action.

They play the KS am and maybe senior AM on occasion's.  I hear they shorten 10 way up.  2 is usually thought of as too narrow and the tree at the green (can always take it down, but they haven't yet) and wetland make it a true accuracy par 5)

Other than that, most golfers report they like it.  It has a lot of CBM and other classic inspired holes to make up for flat topo.  Not sure how many notice that.....

I tried to play it the day I played Prairie Dunes, but they were booked up. I would have loved it though if it had some classic hole looks. Still have yet to see a Jeff Brauer course....

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
Nigel,

Last time I checked with them, rounds have gone up every year, and they were over 30K rounds, which is quite busy compared to other upscale public course in that region, and pretty well booked solid.

Its a nice success story.  A small but progressive town, a local developer combined land.  Used the course for flood control, city helped with roads, etc. and allowed the golf course to be built for under $6M total, in turn keeping fees low, albeit they had to be higher than what was the prevailing Wichita area rate.  Put in a nice course, albeit flat and among housing, got Kemper, who does a great job of managing it (they win industry customer service awards there regularly) and voila, its a winning formula for affordable public golf. (Well, mid range, depending on your POV)

There was some worry about whether they would drive further, pay more, and pass up a nice Perry Dye muni in Wichita, but those fears proved unfounded.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »
Jeff, I did find a Sand Creek tee at Prairie Dunes so you are attracting some knowledgeable golfers ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back