News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Weiskopf.
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »
Why do I enjoy listening to him?  I am sure I haven't played one of his designs. Maybe it's because he's real and keeps Feherty somewhat quiet!  How are his courses?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Nigel Islam

Re: Weiskopf.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
A course designer who said out loud we don't need any more golf courses! It was a great interview.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »
Loves golf. Loves short par 4's on his courses-I think every course should have one or two and definitely a clever short par 3. He makes sense and likes fast play!!!!! It gets better.  Golf is too slow and too expensive. We played in 2.45 as a foursome Friday and I loved it-my guest hated it!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Tom is a world class story teller. We are at dinner several years ago and the topic turns to Ben Hogan. Tom, talking like an awe struck kid proceeds to talk for a half hour on the sound of the ball coming off Hogan's club as Weiskopf (and others) would just sit and watch him practice.

He also tells a heat story about Woody Hayes and a film room door during Tom's freshman year when he worked his scholarship off in the football offices. Funny stuff but even better given his ability to  set the stage, deliver the detail and finish it with style and a zinger, much like he did when covering golf... "If I knew what he was thinking I would have won this tournament..." When asked what jack was thinking over a shot (16 tee?) in the 86 masters (I think).

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
He should get into the sports broadcasters' hall of fame solely for his '86 commentary during Jack's back nine at Augusta.

Something to the effect of: "If I knew they way he thought, I'd have won this tournament (and then moments later) No, he's saying to himself: Jack, hit the shot you know you're capable of hitting. Your destiny is right here"....seconds before JN hits that beautiful iron into 16 for another birdie.

I've always liked him -- all the talent in the world, but a head case (and I mean that in a nice way -- MOST of us are head cases...")

Peter

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »

I've always liked him -- all the talent in the world, but a head case (and I mean that in a nice way -- MOST of us are head cases...")

Same here,he's one of the few players I ever followed an entire round. Watching him swing a golf club was like watching Astaire dance--looks easy,plays hard.

Regarding guys like Weiskopf,with all their inner demons,seems to me the better question would be how did they ever win at all?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
gotta respect his frankness.  I also was impressed about the comments on golf courses and the game; don't need more, time to play is too long, cost too much especially for a family to enjoy, etc.  Do you think he is a GCA lurker?  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
The few courses I've played of his I like: Forest Dunes, Silverleaf, and The Rim.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back