News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

4th of July weekend at your local public/muni?!
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
Just curious how many others experienced open tee sheets this weekend at the local public/muni? Where I played yesterday at 2:20, NYC's Split Rock, the starter said it was empty compared to a normal weekend. Is this a normal/nationwide thing? What about private or resorts?

When I was caddying at a private club 4-5 years ago it was crazy busy with silly red/white/blue tournaments and partner/family things. When I was working for a golf contractor we always went out of our way to keep things nice and clean, and hide all signs that we were there... I've worked or been out of the country the last 3 years though.

Brent Hutto

Re: 4th of July weekend at your local public/muni?!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
At my private country-club course, we were quite busy on Friday. Moreso than a normal summer weekend day, slightly. Saturday was about like a typical Saturday has been lately.

Today the place was packed but mostly because 130+ players were having their practice rounds for their US Amateur qualifying on Monday and Tuesday. But members only this morning and the tee sheet was fairly full.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:41:06 PM by Brent Hutto »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
Rain out Friday, followed by two of the busiest days of the season.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
Typically resort course rounds are light on all holiday weekends.  Gray Grieve will tell you the 4th of July is one of the best times to visit Bandon if you want to feel like you have the courses to yourself.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
Typically resort course rounds are light on all holiday weekends.  Gray Grieve will tell you the 4th of July is one of the best times to visit Bandon if you want to feel like you have the courses to yourself.

Sven

That is an interesting thought/tip.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
funny you mention…my father and I were able to easily walk up on Bethpage Black on Saturday morning. 

Adam Warren

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »
My home course is semi-private, and the course was stacked from Thursday to Sunday.  Much different than last 4th of July weekend where it basically rained the entire weekend.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
funny you mention…my father and I were able to easily walk up on Bethpage Black on Saturday morning. 

Was Sergio not there?

I played our County Amateur on Sat/Sun. Muni course was not packed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
Resort course, we were packed Saturday and dead yesterday. 
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
4th was the busiest day of the week in Cabo and the fireworks over the bay were far superior to the New Years Eve display. Interesting. 

Of course I only saw them on video as I was holed up talking golf with Señor Cowley.

Chris Luce

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
Played semi private, Golf Club of Dallas, early Friday AM and relatively quiet for a holiday. They were advertising heavily discounted green fees on Friday and Saturday both so suspect traffic was light all weelkend. Played The Tribute Saturday AM and they appeared to be full. 

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
We went to Pinehurst for the weekend, stayed at Mid Pines. Get this: there were THREE rooms booked.

Friday, I played Mid Pines and there may have been 10 rounds all day. Saturday at Dormie was a little busier, but not much.

It was a quick, but wonderful trip. Am I crazy to say staying off Pinehurst Resort is the best way to go there?

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »
Me and a friend played Pumpkin Ridge - Ghost Creek, which is the nearest public course to my house, at about 5 PM on July 4th.  There were only 8-10 players on the course, including us.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »
Spent the 4th of July weekend at Bandon Dunes Resort. The place was empty. It was like we had our own private courses! Staff said it was always empty for Father's Day, Mother's Day and 4th of July holiday weekends. Something to think about!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 09:32:31 AM »
Spent the 4th of July weekend at Bandon Dunes Resort. The place was empty. It was like we had our own private courses! Staff said it was always empty for Father's Day, Mother's Day and 4th of July holiday weekends. Something to think about!

I am planning a Bandon trip for 12-20 high school buddies for June or July 2015.  My preference was to go the 4th of July weekend--both because of the extra day off and because there's way more availability--but almost everyone else was opposed to being away that weekend because they have family obligations. 

AKikuchi

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »

Michael- I was wondering who the other group was out there this weekend!

It was definitely pretty cool to be out there with perfect weather and wide open tee sheets. I remember looking over from Pacific at one point, and seeing all of two groups on Old Mac. I would definitely target one of those weekends for a future trip.
-Alan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back