News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: The strangest European Golf Course Ranking of all Time?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 03:44:33 AM »
This is a conversation straight from Faulty Towers - don't mention the war.

German guest:  You should come to Germany sometime to see how polite our golf staff are.   have you ever been to Germany.
Starter Bob:  Please tee off, the last group is 300 metres away.  no I've never been to Germany.  My father and uncle used to go often.
Guest:   Did they like Germany
Bob:  I don't know, they only went at night.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 03:58:57 AM »
Which would put the episode into the 1970s. I can assure you that these days golf staff in Germany is just as "practical" as in St Andrews :)

Although I would expect American service at a facility like St Andrews Bay - they certainly advertise it.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 05:56:38 AM »
Hubbelrath (near Düsseldorf) is deserving.

Ulrich

I only walked it but from what I've seen you're right.

Jud_T

Re: The strangest European Golf Course Ranking of all Time? New
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
The only time I've been to Germany was when I was 4.  We were in the Dusseldorf airport. My parents asked what I wanted for breakfast and I replied bacon, eggs and toast.  They ordered to the best of their ability in German, which aside from some fleeting Yiddish was nil.  Breakfast is served.  I look down at my plate aghast-  Eggs and toast, no bacon.  I proceed to throw a fit worthy of every petulant 4-year old who's ever walked the planet.  My parents desperately try to calm me down and explain that this will simply have to do as they don't speak the language and there's no time to reorder the bacon anyway as we have to catch a connecting flight to Paris.  After the requisite sturm und drang, I eventually realize the futility of my position and begrudgingly tuck into the eggs.  Turns out the bacon has been ingeniously placed below the eggs to continue cooking and keep it warm.  I've been emotionally scarred every since.  Needless to say, I've never returned.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:57:56 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back