News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Buck

Medinah #1 renovation
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
Since it appears the renovation being done by Tom Doak is well underway, I wanted to discuss the significance of this project, and the impact I hope it has throughout the area.

http://spears.golfersongolf.com/2013/07/03/medinah-course-1-renovation-with-tom-doak--curtis-tyrell.aspx?ref=rss

I have spent most of my life living in two smaller rural communities within 100 miles of Chicago (separated by a 12 year gap of living in Chicago after college), and I think Medinah, more than anyplace else, has influenced golf courses in this region.  I can attest that members of the course I grew up on, and members of my two current Clubs view Medinah as the holy grail in the region.  As such many clubs and courses throughout the state took every opportunity to plant trees on every inch of their property for many years. 

While across the region, higher end clubs have already been adopting the restoration movements discussed here, I think a project like this, along with massive tree removal the club undertook prior to the Ryder Cup can have a huge positive impact throughout the state and region at many of the smaller clubs and courses where many people play the game.  While I pine over Chicago Golf and Shoreacres, the reality is their more exclusive nature, combined with the lack of Championship golf mean they barely register with the overwhelming majority of golfers, even solid lifelong club members.  However, if Medinah is doing something, it holds weight with our membership, and I know this is the case at other clubs as well.  Because many of our members have the opportunity to play there, I've already seen more openness to tree removal since Medinah #3 did it, and I'm hoping the #1 course gives me some opportunities to sell the more natural approach as well. 

I'd love to hear renovation updates from any of the Medinah members who post here.  I've heard it's made for a difficult year at the club with the amount of play #3 demands this year, but I'm sure by next summer it will have been worth it. 

Gary Sato

Re: Medinah #1 renovation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:51:36 PM »
The course has been open for a few weeks and the media reviews are very positive.  Has anyone played it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-medinah-spt-0627-20140627,0,886342.column

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/medinah_reopens_course_one_following_doak_remodel

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Medinah-opens-Doakredesigned-Course-One-after-21-month-project/3149/Default.aspx#.U68cC_ldUik

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140624/sports/140629312/

Some small tidbits in each article but I found interesting that Rees has submitted plans for #2 to be remodeled.  I wonder if Doaks work will change anyones mind about looking at another option.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:54:18 PM »
Gary:

I think the club's view in the short term is to leave #2 alone, maybe expand the greens back out to their original size, and keep it as Bendelow's.

I played in the opening event two weeks ago today, just before heading overseas.  Zero golfers had played it before the opening weekend, which I though was amazing -- but there were 380 members signed up to play on the opening weekend!  I thought it played quite difficult, even with relatively benign hole locations. 

Everybody seemed VERY happy to have three courses open for play again, which is one reason I suspect it will be a while before they do anything significant with #2.

Gary Sato

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
Mr. Doak, you must be very gratified at the positive response. 

I find Medinah very interesting with the contrast in styles between #1 and #3.  Many well know clubs with multiple courses have similar styles, Winged Foot, Torrey Pines, Olympic, etc.   

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:57:16 AM »
I played it yesterday and we had a blast. The word "fun" is back in the equation at Medinah. Nice mix of old holes buffed up and new holes with the sort of derring-do and panache that Doak is known for. I found the greens fun and challenging and only a little nutty on two holes. I predict that half of the guest play will switch away from number 3 which is very difficult from all tees.  Number One ain't nothing but fun.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »
I played it yesterday and we had a blast. The word "fun" is back in the equation at Medinah. Nice mix of old holes buffed up and new holes with the sort of derring-do and panache that Doak is known for. I found the greens fun and challenging and only a little nutty on two holes. I predict that half of the guest play will switch away from number 3 which is very difficult from all tees.  Number One ain't nothing but fun.

Which was the other green, besides #6?  :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
The big par 3 past the creek with the yawning front right bunker was edgy. The short par-4 on the back (13?) was goofy but it totally sealed the wacky fun of the hole.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back