News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

... is now posted under Best of Golf/Other (i.e. non-18 Hole) Ways to Enjoy the Game.

The game takes too long, it is too hard and too expensive, blah blah blah. These are the constant complaints we’ve heard since 2008.

Great, so what? Have you seen any tangible change? Not really and new construction has seized up. We need some 'points of light', some exciting new ways forward.

Bart Bradley's piece on the recently opened Orchard Course at The Olde Farm is that rare example. Designed by Bobby Weed and set on a mere 7.5 acres, this free form configuration offers a wide range of attractive full and recovery shots. There are no tees, just plunk your ball down and hit to the green here or perhaps the one over there. The putting surfaces equate to a bit more than 3/5 of an acre. Importantly, the land was near the entrance drive and was already being maintained to a degree so the uptick in maintenance isn’t backbreaking. Now it is an arena for people of all ages to swat a white ball about.

Most non-18 hole 'courses' suffer from being patently uninteresting. After all, they are for indifferent golfers, so milk-toast design features will do. Let's not make it too hard - let's shoo these hacks around in an expeditious manner! Nobody is going to fall in love with the game - or stay in touch with it - playing such bland fare. Indeed, the hundreds and hundreds of humdrum ‘small’ courses have given the lot a bad name.

Now reflect on what constitutes The Orchard Course - sleepered bunkers, elusive greens, lots of tight grass, a relaxing pastoral setting, and even a version of the Dell hole. Just look at the photo of the 7th hole - who doesn't want to find himself in that environment?! Good players can hone their skills while the less accomplished can have a different kind of fun. Nobody is likely to lose a ball and you can play for 10 or 60 minutes - whatever one desires.

My kids and I play with the Almost Golf balls in our pine straw covered front yard. One 'hole' plays over the hammock, another between two closely grown dogwoods, and a third between two pine trees from a distance of ~35 yards, etc. It's fun but not enduringly so: we now mostly play when visitors come over. What Bart has near his home is something of lasting value and his words and photographs succinctly capture the simple pleasures of playing there.

Let's hope that this conception is the inspiration for many more ingenious offerings.  It’s about 1/3 the size of a full blown practice area and about 3 times more fun!

Best,

Thomas Dai

Thank you for drawing this to our attention.

It just shows what can be done with a limited area of land. I like the sound of "Designed, constructed, and maintained around the concept that drainage is king, the course generally presents the ideal maintenance meld."

If only more facilities like this were available.

As an aside to the final photograph, I noticed the Rossapenna pitch-n-putt course while driving past in the car, it's near their driving range. It looked wonderful. I didn't have the time to play it but I wish I had as a warm-up to playing the two principal courses. So many golfing regrets. One day though.

atb

Rees Milikin

This looks phenomenal and something I might spend more time playing than the actual course.  Thanks for sharing and kudos to The Olde Farm for being creative with 7.5 acres. #BestOfGolf

Bruce Wellmon

Congrats to all. Love the "Dell."
I wish it had been open when we were there. 

hhuffines

Great stuff Bart!  Thanks for photos.  We have a lighted par three course here that is fun day or night.

Ronald Montesano

I wonder who you mean when you say this is an example of what "we" need. A golf course like this Orchard, like Sheep Ranch, like the Horse Course, would be absolute chaos if plopped down in a public setting. All of these are private or exclusive resort situations that cater to wealthy golfers.

I imagine these types of courses, if public, being similar to the ball courts in Buffalo's Delaware Park. The top ballers play while those next in line fight to get in the game. These courts are where Christian Laettner learned the game, and anyone who followed hoops from 1990 to 2005 knows that he didn't shy away from a fight. Could public golf cultivate a similar milieu?

I don't pretend to know what "we" need to preserve golf, but I know that I do not belong to the "we" that frequents these courses. I love the idea of this type of course, but recognize that it is not the answer to any question on the growing of the game.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

Very cool. Bart, is it too soon to say how it's being used, who's using it, and how much it's being used?

Royal North Devon has a pitch and putt, the Pimpley Course, next to the clubhouse and it gets plenty of use from families on Sunday afternoon after lunch and from, kids / juniors during weekday afternoons. Apparently as a result the RND junior program has improved in competitions.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bart Bradley

Very cool. Bart, is it too soon to say how it's being used, who's using it, and how much it's being used?

Royal North Devon has a pitch and putt, the Pimpley Course, next to the clubhouse and it gets plenty of use from families on Sunday afternoon after lunch and from, kids / juniors during weekday afternoons. Apparently as a result the RND junior program has improved in competitions.

Mark:

The course opened last week.  Everyone is using it this week because of aeration of the big course  ;D.

Bart

Eric Smith

Just finished reading your feature, Bart - terrific stuff! As you know I am a huge fan of your club and feel it is about as good as good can get. The addition of the Orchard Course is yet another cherry on top of the Olde Farm sundae. Kudos to Mr. McGlothlin, Marc Eubanks and staff as well as you and your fellow members. I'm sure the new course is really fun to play.

Mike Nuzzo

Thanks for sharing Bart
It looks like a very fun course
How much did it cost?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bart Bradley

Thanks for sharing Bart
It looks like a very fun course
How much did it cost?
Cheers

Mike

It was built very inexpensively with the work mainly done in house.  The exact cost is private club business. I am sure Bobby Weed would be happy to speak to anyone curious about the cost of building a short course of their own.

Bart

David_Elvins

Nice one, Bart.  A good read and it looks exactly like what we need more of. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back