News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Where Do You Draw The Line Between Quirk and Gimmick?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
IMHO gimmicks require more luck than skill to be successful and quirk can be negotiated by a skilled player most of the time...

Which is probably why the so-called average golfer seems to like gimmicks more than quirk.  I have a lot in common with said average golfer, and quirk often confuses me and creates uncertainty and has me hitting an even worse shot than usual. Gimmicks on the other hand are often quite forgiving: on split fairways I can aim for one and actually hit the other; double greens are the only way I'll ever improve my GIR stats; and if you want to put bunkers in the middle of greens, please be my guest -- I haven't hit the middle of a green since the Reagan era!

Peter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:25:57 PM by PPallotta »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »

Quirk is a natural land form used by the architect in an interesting way.

Gimmick was built by the architect in an attempt to add interest or quirk to the site.

How would you define the large hump in the middle of the green on the 8th hole at Hidden Creek ?

Gimmick or quirk ?

How about the lion's mouth bunker in the middle of the fairway on # 8 ?

Gimmick or quirk ?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
A gimmick, done very, very well and accepted as cool will pass as quirk.

Quirk, viewed as unfair or disruptive of the normal flow, may be viewed as a gimmick.

The difference is up to each of us to determine, or simply enjoy without needing to define it one way or the other.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »
Greg,

I'd agree, except I don't view creative, unique features as "gimmicky".

I think "function" has a lot to do with how we view and classify features

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »

Gimmick was built by the architect in an attempt to add interest or quirk to the site.

How would you define the large hump in the middle of the green on the 8th hole at Hidden Creek ?

Gimmick or quirk ?

Gimmick or quirk ?

Having never seen the course I am in no position to comment. But I do welcome any observations on the hole.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

Gimmick or quirk ?

Gimmick or quirk ?

Having never seen the course I am in no position to comment. But I do welcome any observations on the hole.

Ben,

I think that you'd have to play it in order to gain an appreciation for what C&C created.

It's certainly not natural in appearance or is it in conformity with the land flowing into the green.

But, it works.

It's quirky, but very, very functional.

It divides the green beautifully.
A green that's no more than a wedge from the DZ, so precision is critical in the approach.

Get on the wrong side of the hump and you've got your work cut out for you.
Get on the same side and you have a reasonable birdie putt.

It also presents a challenge on recoveries.

It's a wonderful feature on a neat little hole.

Go to "Google Earth" for a look

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 01:03:21 AM »
Can an average bunker be a gimmick? When I was in my early teens my family bought a condo at an East Texas weekend development with what was actually an OK golf course.There was an active sales force. I guess bunkering the golf course was too expensive but there were a few bunkers( perhaps 4).Each was strategically placed to be seen from the road the salesman would use to drive prospects around .One bunker was actually between a green and the entrance road.All were on the front nine which was nearer the entrance.They were of course expecting the PGA to come play a tournament. Those bunkers were gimmicks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back