News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: The Architects Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »
My dad was a member at Harker's Hollow back in the '50's and '60's, we rejoined in the '80's after I git my driver's license and could get out there. Harker's was a great member's course that had a diverse set of incomes and a quite good set of handicaps. Everyone from school teachers to the owner of the local bank were members.

Up through the 80's it was a course that was a blast to play as there was no fairway watering system and it was built up against a mountain. A significant amount of local knowledge was required and it was tough to go low given how firm everything was kept. It was always regarded as a difficult course and hosted stuff like NJ-Am qualifying. Last tournament I played there a college kid turned it into a lod-wedge fest and tore it up. Never would have thought I would have seen that back when I used to play it.

As the local property values went up with the housing bubble the course attracted a new generation of people that wanted to turn it into a country club more than a golf club. They put in a full sprinkler system and spent too much to renovate the club facilities other than the course. As an old shareholder my dad got some money out of the deal when the membership sold out. Last couple of times I played there I was sad at how much less interesting the course played given the softer turf and the ability to land on the green and have it stop.

I wonder how much Harkers Hollow competes for players?  It is right down the street and was private until a few years ago.  HH is a nice Robert White design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back