News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

Donald Ross and the par 3 17th
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
I've noticed that Ross designed an exceptional number of courses where the 17th hole is a par 3. These include, but are not limited to:

Pinehurst no. 2
Seminole
Aronimink
Scioto
Oakland Hills
Interlachen
White Bear Yacht Club
Pine Needles (original)

It seems to frequent to be a coincidence, but its rather interesting the mix of short, highly bunkered, and long par 3's he used. Did Ross ever write about the use of a par 3 for the penultimate hole?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:12:43 AM by Ben Hollerbach »

Terry Lavin

Re: Donald Ross and the par 3 17th
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
Beverly belongs on the list.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David Amarnek

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
and Gulph Mills

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »
Also Oyster Harbors! We may be onto something.

But wait! Not at Essex County, Plainfield, Lulu, Siwanoy, Southern Pines, Wannamoisett, Salem, Inverness, Linville, Mountain Ridge, etc, etc... No trend here.

However, I have not read Ross writings and do not consider myself in any way an expert on Ross so this is purely a peanut gallery post.

Thanks, Ben, for making me at least think about this!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:32:18 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
I've tracked down about 45 Ross courses that were designed with a par 3 17th

Algonquin
Aronimink
Asheville
Asheville Municipal (Original)
Athens
Bellevue (Original)
Benevnue
Beverly
Bloomfield Hills
Brunswick
Catawba
Charlotte
Dearborn
Detroit (south)
Du Pont
Elmhurst
Hartford
Hyannisport
Interlachen
James Barber
Mimosa Hills
Mountain Brook
Northland
Northmoor
Oak Hill (Mass)
Oak Hill (west)
Oakland Hills
Oakley (Original)
Oconomowoc
Old Elm
Oyster Harbor
Palm Beach
Pine Needles (Original)
Pinehurst (no. 2)
Raleigh
Riverton (Original)
Roosevelt Memorial (Original)
Scioto
Seminole
Vesper
Weston
Whippoorwill
White Bear Yacht Club
York (NY)
York (Maine)

Some of these no longer exist and some have been re-routed, but these are the ones i've found with Ross plans and a par 3 17th.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
I think he liked a 4, 3, and 5 on the last 3 holes.  Seldom did he use a par 3 18, soooo.......it was 16 or 17 that had to be one.

Not bad really. I think most architects would have par 3 at 17 often.  Or at least 16-17.  15 seems a bit early for the last par 3, and 14 is for sure, at least IMHO.  I looked it up once and we had a list of courses with 18 as a par 3.  There were more than you might think, and 6 of the top 100 on one list, but still a par 3 18th is pretty rare.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:04:21 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 11:10:46 PM »
Isn't Ross credited with something like 400 courses? So if we assume 1 and 18 are rarely par-3s, that means there is a 4/16 chance that 17 is a par-3.  So, about 100 courses should have the 17th as par-3s.  If we can get well beyond that, then I guess we're on to something.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »
#18 at Glens Falls is a par three. Isn't that the rarity we should be discussing?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »
Ben,

FYI...

Another Ross course with a par three 17th is Bald Peak Colony Club in New Hampshire.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 12:23:16 AM »
Pete Dye likes a 3,4,&5 to close often with 17 as a 3.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:16:08 AM »
#18 at Glens Falls is a par three. Isn't that the rarity we should be discussing?

So is Brook Lea. (Both 9's, actually.)

Matthew Rose

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 02:00:02 AM »
Pete Dye has a par-3 17th hole on almost every notable design of his career, with only a few rare exceptions (the Honors Course and the Golf Club are the only two I can think of offhand).

I believe this is an homage to Ross, based on a quote attributed to him - Asked to describe his ideal 18 holes, his last three holes went 5-3-4 (like many on his resume) and he specifically referred to "the strong 5-3-4 finish emulates Donald Ross' Pinehurst conclusion".
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:39:12 AM »
Alfonso Ernhardt will know better but i think Javier Arana made a par 3 17th at every course he did.
Club de Campo, Puerto de Hierro and El Saler all have short 17th holes.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »
Ben,

I don't think that Ross had a predisposition to make his 17th hole a par 3......... or a par 4............. or a par 5.

I think he took what the terrain and general routing best provided him on a site specific basis.

Given the volume of his production, I'm sure that there's an abundance of par 3's. par 4's and par 5's that are his 17th holes.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »
In general, I would say I'm not a big fan of having a par-3 for my 17th holes [or 16th, for that matter]. 

Yet it is inevitable they come up fairly often.  I've got fourteen courses [out of 34] with a par-3 17th, and eleven with a par-3 16th. 

I've done only one course with a par-3 18th, and I inherited that one [Medinah #1].  The only other time I've suggested a par-3 18th, at Stone Eagle, the owner balked, so it's the 19th instead.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 04:56:14 AM »
Isn't Ross credited with something like 400 courses? So if we assume 1 and 18 are rarely par-3s, that means there is a 4/16 chance that 17 is a par-3.  So, about 100 courses should have the 17th as par-3s.  If we can get well beyond that, then I guess we're on to something.

Mark,

Why are you using math? Do you want people to ignore your point?

If you want to get your point across, ditch the math and replacewith with name-dropping eg "iif anyone here knows the book" Fooled by Randomness" the real answer is probably that some 17th holes - and a fair number at that - just have to be par 3s.

Or you can just hit people with an argument from authority logical fallacy such as, Ross was too good a designer to just plug in a par 3 on as many 17s as possible regardless of the site, circumstances etc.

Got it? Now ixnay on the mathay.

Helpfully,
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 05:25:58 AM »
As Mike said, Javier Arana has a par 3 as the 17th hole in all of his designs. He was an excellent match play golfer and his reasoning was that in a close match, a good par 3 at the end of the round was usually more decisive than a par 4 or par 5

Dave McCollum

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »
I think the analysis  is fairly simple.  You site the clubhouse and finishing hole, the ultimate hole for all the marbles, a strong, manly, worthy, end to the match.  You fit the rest of the holes to fit the site.  The 17th becomes the connector hole to get to the finish.  Of all of the options, a short hole is the most viable.  Anything from 120 yards to 250 yards works.  Just get to the strong finisher.  It is no coincidence that it is often a par 3, a connector.  The archie knows where the journey ends, wants a noble finish, and often has to concoct a way there.

Paul Gray

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:30 AM »

Mark,

If you want to get your point across, ditch the math and replacewith with name-dropping eg "iif anyone here knows the book" Fooled by Randomness" the real answer is probably that some 17th holes - and a fair number at that - just have to be par 3s.

Or you can just hit people with an argument from authority logical fallacy such as, Ross was too good a designer to just plug in a par 3 on as many 17s as possible regardless of the site, circumstances etc.

Helpfully,

Too sensible. Far too sensible.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »

Mark,

Helpfully,

I got his point right away. What I don't understand is the need to get a point across on how to get a point across, when the initial point came across just fine.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
Not "mathay,", it's "athmay"  ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 08:12:05 AM »

I think most courses have a par 3 among the last four holes, and very rarely is it #18.  So the odds for #17 being a par 3, if it's all random, might be closer to one in three.  i.e. closer to 130 than 100.  So far, I doubt we have any hard numbers to work with though.

Besides all Ross courses, interested to see how the numbers stack up in his top-rated courses.  Say, all Ross courses ranked 200 or better in the various lists. 

Chris Hans

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »
VESPER CC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back