News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Golfweek's Best Municipal Courses: 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
I don't want to live in a world where either, and especially both, Harborside courses are on a top anything list.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »
There are a number of good municipal course in North Carolina. I'm surprised that none of them has cracked this list. Does GW have a separate list of raters (from its other Top 100s) for its municipal list?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
I don't want to live in a world where either, and especially both, Harborside courses are on a top anything list.

AMEN and +1

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »

AMEN and +1

Agreed. Looks like a good case study for Kemper Sports, which took over management duties last year.  I'd imagine the balance sheet is improved as well.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54715.0.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
Both courses at Harborside are beyond terrible...it doesn't matter who's managing them.
H.P.S.

Adam Warren

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
I can't believe that Lassing Pointe is on this list, and even more shocked that it moved up. A good reason why I don't give credit to these lists.

Seconded. Lassing Pointe isn't even in the top 3 munis in KY, let alone 42nd overall. Decent golf course in consistently terrible condition.

For those that have played it, is Butterfield Trail really that good??

I'm biased, but I'd have Bethpage Red and Montauk MUCH higher.

What munis do you put ahead?  I am assuming Dale Hollow and Kearney Hill but what else?

Yes, plus Hidden Cove, Wasioto, Eagle Ridge, and even Picadome. And I had a hole in one at Lassing!

Wow Eagle Ridge.  Don't let Thurman hear you say that. 

Not many mention Wasioto due to its out of the way location.  I grew up and worked there when it first opened. 

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »
Richard Hetzel:

Cleveland is fortunate to have both Sleepy Hollow and Manakiki. Played them both many times. Could make a case for either being better, but usually preferred Sleepy Hollow, especially back in the days when Charlie Sifford was the pro and the greens were maintained as well as any area private club.

I wish I lived closer to Cleveland as the course offerings are much better than Cincinnati. I only played 9 at Sleepy so I will need to get back there to play the rest.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:13:06 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
I can't believe that Lassing Pointe is on this list, and even more shocked that it moved up. A good reason why I don't give credit to these lists.

Seconded. Lassing Pointe isn't even in the top 3 munis in KY, let alone 42nd overall. Decent golf course in consistently terrible condition.

For those that have played it, is Butterfield Trail really that good??

I'm biased, but I'd have Bethpage Red and Montauk MUCH higher.

What munis do you put ahead?  I am assuming Dale Hollow and Kearney Hill but what else?

Yes, plus Hidden Cove, Wasioto, Eagle Ridge, and even Picadome. And I had a hole in one at Lassing!

I did not think much of Hidden Cove or Eagle Ridge when i played them. I would like to make a day trip from Cincinnati and play Waisato to see what it is all about. I have only driven by it 15 times without my clubs....
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »

Anyone who has seen Phil's golf attire already knows that he has questionable taste. I decided long ago not to hold it against him.

I am glad and not surprised that he gave Picadome a shout out. I'd rate it similarly to Lassing in that both have the bones of a pretty good course that could be greatly improved with a bit of a reclamation effort that will never happen. And really, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. As municipal courses, I think they serve their purpose of providing affordable public recreation of decent quality. I'm just not sure that either of them belong on a Top 50 list.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »
Full ranking listed below so you don't have to click through to Golfweek's site. 

I'm sure Golfweek will be delighted at this blatant breach of their copyrights and your kind thoughts in ensuring that they don't even get a couple of clicks on their web traffic numbers in compensation.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Phil McDade

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »
Full ranking listed below so you don't have to click through to Golfweek's site. 

I'm sure Golfweek will be delighted at this blatant breach of their copyrights and your kind thoughts in ensuring that they don't even get a couple of clicks on their web traffic numbers in compensation.

Adam:

That's a nice sentiment -- for the 19th of 20th Century. I just don't see how anyone, anywhere, can expect to put something up on the web and not expect similar treatment with their content. Copyright law is going the way of the dinosaurs, or maybe a more apt description might be the buggywhip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kxPyNZF3Q

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »

Adam:

That's a nice sentiment -- for the 19th of 20th Century. I just don't see how anyone, anywhere, can expect to put something up on the web and not expect similar treatment with their content. Copyright law is going the way of the dinosaurs, or maybe a more apt description might be the buggywhip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kxPyNZF3Q

You are probably right Phil, but given I make my living courtesy of IP laws, it's hard for me to exult at the thought. People, on here and elsewhere, are quick to criticise golf magazines' lack of quality, but this is a pretty good demonstration of why it is so difficult to be successful in publishing these days. We all have to find new ways to generate revenue, but if one of the key ones - putting our content online and attracting advertising because of our traffic numbers - is undermined in this way, you have to wonder what is the point? At least link to the damned thing and support the publishers rather than cutting them off at the knees.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

Anyone who has seen Phil's golf attire already knows that he has questionable taste. I decided long ago not to hold it against him.

I am glad and not surprised that he gave Picadome a shout out. I'd rate it similarly to Lassing in that both have the bones of a pretty good course that could be greatly improved with a bit of a reclamation effort that will never happen. And really, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. As municipal courses, I think they serve their purpose of providing affordable public recreation of decent quality. I'm just not sure that either of them belong on a Top 50 list.

LOL... ZING. Whether I think ER was/is worth the state investment is another story, but from a perspective of golf course design it certainly is unique.

I agree with you that the objective of municipal golf is to provide affordable access- both accomplish this task. Whether or not they belong on a ranking list of questionable quality is really unimportant.

David Stamm

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
Good to Soule Park on here.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
I agree with those who think Wintonbury Hills is rated too high. Hard not to speculate where it would rank if it didn't have Brad Klein's name attached to it. With Triggs on there, I'm surprised Richter Park didn't make it. It's been a long time since I last played there, but I remember it being pretty good.

Donovan Childers

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:34 PM »

hahaha  I have seen Phil's golf attire.  ;D

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
I have not played TPC Scottsdale (Stadium) because I wasn't ready to pay their lofty green fees.  It would seem that their rating is much too high---comments?  I like Morrish courses, and play two extensively, but the Stadium course seems out of place on that list.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »

So sorry for my horrible transgression.  I will edit my first post to include a link, so that it didn't anger you any more.  Have a great day.

astavrides

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
I have not played TPC Scottsdale (Stadium) because I wasn't ready to pay their lofty green fees.  It would seem that their rating is much too high---comments?  I like Morrish courses, and play two extensively, but the Stadium course seems out of place on that list.

I've only played 25 of the 50, but its rank seems about right to me.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »

It might be a little high, but I enjoyed the few plays I have there.  Didn't really like the visual of the first couple tee shots, and could do without the island green par 5, but other than I thought it played pretty well and had some nice green sites.  I'm sure their are some lower courses I'd prefer, but if Harborside (Chicago) is at 13, I'd certainly put TPC Scottsdale lightyears above.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
I agree with those who think Wintonbury Hills is rated too high. Hard not to speculate where it would rank if it didn't have Brad Klein's name attached to it. With Triggs on there, I'm surprised Richter Park didn't make it. It's been a long time since I last played there, but I remember it being pretty good.

Wintonbury Hills is certainly better than Lassing Pointe for sqqure. I liked Wintonbury Hills but not sure it is a top 50. I played Richter Prk a few years back and liked it as well, probably worthy of making this list.

These lists basically don't mean a thing because we all know better anyway!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Callahan, Richter is a course on my list. I hear so many good things about it, for a muni and all that entails.

I think Wintonbury is a top forty muni, but not a top fifteen.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »
I like Manakiki but play Sleepy Hollow from the back tees on a dry day and you will know why it is ranked so high.  Cleveland is highly underrated for golf in general. (public and private)

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
What happened to Shepherd's Crook?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
Callahan, Richter is a course on my list. I hear so many good things about it, for a muni and all that entails.

I think Wintonbury is a top forty muni, but not a top fifteen.

Richter is excellent.

I'd rank the Fairfield County Munis as such:

1) Richter Park
2) Griffith Harris
3) Ridgefield
4) Sterling Farms
5) Longshore
6) H Smith Richardson
7) Wheeler- Red
8) Wheeler- Black
9) Oak Hills
10) Brennan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back