News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Re: My Video Feature Interview on Pinehurst No. 2 and Wolf Point ...
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 11:00:14 PM »
Thanks, it wasn´t there before but it is now,,,getting old!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »
Very happy for my friends Don and Mike. Wolf Point isn't just great, it's special.

Paul Jones

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
Great job Don. I was impressed with your video and glad you didn't just type.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »
Don,
    Welcome to the site. I look forward to your insights to come.
     So good to hear your voice and see the video of my favorite course in the world. I got a better appreciation from the video of the surface drainage angle to the green pitches and undulations that wend over and through the property. Anyone reading this, trust me, as good as the film is it does not convey the majesty and strategy of this golf course, not does it demonstrate its firm character. There's a reason that Sam Morrow and I think that this place is as special as it gets.
     I trust you enjoyed seeing PH#2 in its reconstituted state as a US Open venue as much as I did,Don. It is a very special golf course, and Coore, Crenshaw, and Club Corp are to be strongly congratulated for what they restored there.
Ran,
    Great job adding the video feature into the "Best Of Golf" section. If "best of" can be interpreted as set or group of great things there is no question the Mike Nuzzo, Don Mahaffey, and Wolf Point belong somewhere in the top of that group. Wolf Point is pure genius. My visit refined what I believe golf should be.
   Congratulations again, Don.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
An excellent interview. Interesting and educational. Full of common sense. Thought provoking too.
Well done to all those involved.
atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
I'm glad to see this "newbie" Don Mahaffey setting forth his ideas on irrigation and water movement and maintenance meld on a quality video.  (not sure what the newbie status is all about...)   Don has a tight and rational understanding of golf from his first hand practical experience from several aspects of managing and working golf course maintenance and construction-irrigation, along with ownership and a good player.  Old Don has been around a while now...  ;)  He has earned a status of high credibility and should be listened to as a teacher\consultant to move the maintenance meld issues to a more compatible platform to sustain the game in coming years of less water, too high costs of entry and sustained participation to keep the industry healthy going forward.  I can't wait to see part two.  This troika of Mahaffey, Nuzzo and Grandpa Joe can do some great things for GCA and maintenance meld if given some more opportunities, IMO. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
Well done guys.  Don is a real pro's pro and a great communicator.  His collaboration with Mike at Wolf Point is not short of extraordinary.  And from what I saw at Dismal River-Doak last summer, his competency in irrigation is equally impressive.

I know that his principal at WP is a very private man, but I think that a book in the style of "Driving the Green" by John Strawn would be well received and serve his legacy.  The Wolf Point story- how the owner rose from relatively humble beginnings to be in a position to commission his own course; how he found the ranch and decided he wanted a private course; how he found Mike and went on to hire him; how Mike and Don came together and melded their individual strengths to overcome their weaknesses; how they utilized local labor and executed a true design and build day-by-day in the searing, inhospitable climate of south Texas; how Don's role at WP and in the owner's other business has grown; how the course has matured through the years and where its future lies- is compelling.  I know that every time I think about WP, I marvel at the many number of things which came together in very unusual ways to become a reality.

BCowan

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
Thanks so much for putting that video together.  What a relief to have men think in such common sense ways.  ''A golf course where you don't lose your golf ball and is challenging''.  This video should also show the ''sand elitists'' what can be done with great surface drainage.  Can't wait for future videos.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
I have a question for Don.
 Wolf Point plays wonderfully firm, but I don't believe the course is on sand like most firm courses, only that there was some sand on site when the course was built. Could you explain how you keep the course as bouncy as it plays? How is that accomplished?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
"Next Tuesday" is long gone. I am awaiting part II of Don's interview. Or, I could call him.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
Joe, shortly after Part 1 was released, the opening post was edited to say Part 2 would be released on Monday, June 23rd.

BCowan

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 08:46:12 PM »
Don,

Can't wait, the first one was so good.  These are really well done, I think non-gca types would really enjoy them too.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
"Next Tuesday" is long gone. I am awaiting part II of Don's interview. Or, I could call him.

Joe

He's probably fishing.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »

Joe

He's probably fishing.

Likely, with child number 26....and being out-fished by him at that!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »

Joe

He's probably fishing.

Come on Joe, you know he's only got 11.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »

Joe

He's probably fishing.

Being a good dad means letting your kids catch more fish...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
Actually it's genius! He's always going on about how designers 'design' too much and irrigation guys 'irrigate' too much and maintenance types 'maintain' too much, and so to set himself apart he's doing not a damn thing at all!!

Peter

Paul Carey

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
Part two:

http://youtu.be/PMYnaKm4lK4

Released June 23.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

Part two:

http://youtu.be/PMYnaKm4lK4

Released June 23.

Part I of this interview was excellent and so is Part II. So much common sense.

Well done Don and all others involved.

atb

Joe Hancock

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
The link didn't work for me, nor is the second part of the interview posted under "Best of Golf/ Greenkeeping". Anyone know whats up?

Joe

Paul Carey

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
I saw part two on youtube.  It seems to be gone now.  Strange.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
I saw part two on youtube.  It seems to be gone now.  Strange.

It wasn't supposed to be released on youtube yet. It's getting edited further before Ran posts it here.

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back