News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Pinehurst #2 Ross Greens
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

Though I am in the camp of "the greens of 2014 have little, if any, resemblance to what Ross built" I do want to ask the group, how about Seminole.  Their greens seem to be (I unfortunately have not played it  >:( )quite doomed, correct?  Even though most of Ross's green aren't.

Chip,

I think there are some greens that you could consider "domed" like # 1, # 5 and # 8.
I can see some classifying other greens as "domed" like # 9, 12, 15 and 17.
You could probably throw in others like # 10.
I quess it depends on what your definition or concept of "domed" is.

Some, like # 4 and # 18 aren't original Ross.

Seminole would seem to refute the contention that Donald Ross didn't design and build "domed" greens.

I've had others suggest that Plainfield, Montclair and Inverness have "domed" greens as well.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
Pat

Did Pinehurst play more difficult in black & white?

Surely "the lurker" should post under his own name or not at all?

Ryan,

The "lurker" was thrown off the site and can't post under his name or any other.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
I think that the definition of "crowned greens" is an issue, as has been pointed out.  I have always thought of them as "domed", "turtleback", upside-down bowls.  I'm thinking of the first green at the Balsams--a 1915 design and a course that Ross was directly involved in.  I've seen greens of similar design at Bethlehem, a course that Ross did in the 1910-12 period of time, and also at the Bretton Woods course--another 1915 course.  On the other hand, the CC of Rochester, which I believe he did in 1910, does not have any greens that I would describe as "domed" o upside-down bowls.   Courses I've seen, that were done much later, have no greens that I would define as crowned.  Thus, my original conjecture about the evolution of Ross's concepts about the design of green surfaces.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »
Ed, Chip, Joe, Et., Al.,

Doesn't Mandell state, on page 218, that Diamondhead never touched anything under the grass on the putting greens, or did I misread that.

I thought that some claimed that Diamondhead altered the interior putting surfaces, yet Mandell stated that they did nothing of the sort, that they ONLY regrassed the putting surfaces and did nothing below the grass.

Could someone confirm that ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »

Any updates ?

Ed, Chip, Joe, Et., Al.,

Doesn't Mandell state, on page 218, that Diamondhead never touched anything under the grass on the putting greens, or did I misread that.

I thought that some claimed that Diamondhead altered the interior putting surfaces, yet Mandell stated that they did nothing of the sort, that they ONLY regrassed the putting surfaces and did nothing below the grass.

Could someone confirm that ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back