News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Renaissance Cup at Renaissance Club
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:10:04 AM »
It's the downside of having moved house five times in four years that once again my invitation to the Renaissance Cup has been lost in the mail...

That being so, I'm excited that so many important types will be checking out a very underrated golf course next week and I hope someone may take some pictures of the new holes and post them for all the course's admirers to see.

I'm still sad that the old #12 has been lost, but from what I hear the new holes more than make up for it.

Steve Salmen

Re: Renaissance Cup at Renaissance Club
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
I really liked the old 12th hole, probably because of the wide open approach to what I remember is a large green. 

Is the 11th hole the same?  If I recall, for such a long second shot, the green was quite narrow and severe. 

16 is a great hole and 17 is a fun par 3 but can play very difficult if it's down wind.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
I really liked the old 12th hole, probably because of the wide open approach to what I remember is a large green. 

Is the 11th hole the same?  If I recall, for such a long second shot, the green was quite narrow and severe. 

16 is a great hole and 17 is a fun par 3 but can play very difficult if it's down wind.

The 11th is the same, but it's now the 8th hole in the new routing, with the old 1st-3rd eliminated.

The 16th has been lengthened to a par-5, which follows on from a new par-3 hole that was inserted between the old 15th and 16th.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »

The 11th is the same, but it's now the 8th hole in the new routing, with the old 1st-3rd eliminated.

The 16th has been lengthened to a par-5, which follows on from a new par-3 hole that was inserted between the old 15th and 16th.

Come on, throw the thread author a bone....

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
The cool thing about the great run that was 8-11 (now 5-8) is that now it continues into that section along the firth.

Tom - was there any bunkering changes on 16 to accommodate the extra length? I recall a really cool centreline bunker on the drive that I guess wouldn't be so much in play from a further back tee?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
Scott:

That bunker in the center is hard to reach now except for the longest hitters, but it's still a factor if you're trying to have a go at the green downwind with your second shot.

I've been at Askernish three days and now The Renaissance Club the last three ... a study in contrasts!

Result of the event:  Simon Holt and Ben Wescoe won the final match, 3 & 2 over my client Andre Mourgue d'Algue and his wife Philippine.  Michael Wharton-Palmer and his partner reached the semifinal, as did Niall Carlton and his partner, who eliminated me in the third round yesterday evening.  There were a few other GCA folks around, perhaps they will comment on the course over the coming days.  It appeared to be set up for the Open championship ... quite a bit narrower than it used to be.

Also, a few folks had a sneak peek at the new Confidential Guide last evening, there might be some talk about that as well.

Frank Pont

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
Scott,  in my humble opinion the great run now is holes 4-9... some might add hole 10 to it.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »
I'd add 10 to that Frank. Just a lovely location for a golf hole and a very subtle strategic advantage for hugging the cliff top...makes  it much easier to use the gathering slope to the right of the green.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
Frank, Robin - any pics of 9 or 10?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:32:43 AM »
I'd like to see pictures of the new Par-3 fifteenth and the new extended 12th... Haven't seen anything of those holes in the blurb to date...

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves and that Robin and Jeremy made it past the first nine holes of competition?

Frank Pont

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 03:54:32 AM »
Frank, Robin - any pics of 9 or 10?

Hole 9

Hole 10

Frank Pont

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »
I'd like to see pictures of the new Par-3 fifteenth and the new extended 12th... Haven't seen anything of those holes in the blurb to date...

Hole 15

Hole 12

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:29 AM »
Nice pics Frank. Great skies! We had some wonderful light for sure.

It was interesting to play the course in an east wind (albeit not that much of one). The sixteenth in particular was a brute into the breeze.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Neil White

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 04:23:06 AM »
10th Green

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:47:51 AM by Neil White »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 04:44:51 AM »

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves and that Robin and Jeremy made it past the first nine holes of competition?

Not quite Ally. Vanquished by the pairing of David Nelson and Niall Carlton, who made it all the way to the semis.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Neil White

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »
10th fairway

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »
Scott

To my mind there's no stretch of holes that particularly stand out over any other stretch, even the new holes near the water. All the holes are strong and individual. The visuals are great but there is also substance to each of the holes. Can't think of one that is anything less than engaging and a joy to play.

After the final finished I sneaked out onto the practice holes that formed the first 3 holes in the original layout and spent a good bit of time chipping from around the green on the first hole in particular. Its less contoured than probably any other hole other than perhaps what is now the 3rd, but it's still my favourite hole there. Just a lovely hole. When you miss as many greens as I do, you appreciate the green surrounds and the different challenges in chipping. Can't think of any other course in Scotland that offers the variety that Renaissance does.

In terms of what I prefer between the original and new layout, I think it's a kind of apple and oranges thing, both great but just a bit different. However given my comments above, if push came to shove I might just plump for the original routing since the 3 "lost" greens would perhaps be less exacting, which again would increase the variety. Of course in an ideal world the Renaissance would be a 21 hole course and I would be able to afford the subs.

Niall

Tom Kelly

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:28 AM »
No love for the 11th?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Why does Renaissance Club not get talked about more?  It looks fantastic.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
The wall behind 11 sees a lot of golf balls getting cozy to it, especially a it was playing downwind both days. Probably very different with a headwind. I heard someone suggest (can't remember who) that they'd like to have seen this green doubled with the 9th and the wall removed. I prefer it separate personally. The wall is a lovely feature for both holes.

Visibility of the fore green could have been better IMO. The bunker couldn't be seen from our tee box.

Fun hole though. Swinging an approach in from the left hand bank was a popular move.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »
Changing the subject slightly...

Why do they have two Clubhouses?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
They don't, one is the lodge which contains accommodation for members and guests (though there are a few rooms in the clubhouse too).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Frank Pont

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
The wall behind 11 sees a lot of golf balls getting cozy to it, especially a it was playing downwind both days. Probably very different with a headwind. I heard someone suggest (can't remember who) that they'd like to have seen this green doubled with the 9th and the wall removed. I prefer it separate personally. The wall is a lovely feature for both holes.

Visibility of the fore green could have been better IMO. The bunker couldn't be seen from our tee box.

Fun hole though. Swinging an approach in from the left hand bank was a popular move.

This picture of the white tees shows the visibility issues of hole 11 that Robin mentioned.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »

+1

Anyone able to post some more photos?

Information on how to play the course would be appreciated too. It seems to be member/guest but presumably there are 'ways-and means'?

atb

Daryl David

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 01:11:21 PM »

+1

Anyone able to post some more photos?

Information on how to play the course would be appreciated too. It seems to be member/guest but presumably there are 'ways-and means'?

atb

If you want to play, you could always join the club.  Your other alternative is to befriend a member and play as their guest if invited.  Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back