News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Pinehurst - why not just call it rough?
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:13:38 PM »
The TV commentators seem to be struggling.  Is it native area?  Is it the sandy area?  I think I heard that C & C called it "stuff."  Why not just rough?  Looks kind of rough to me?  Well, I guess the problem is that many have come to think of rough as just longer grass of the same kind that's in the fairway.  But, isn't that a little goofy?  What would they call the Pinehurst "stuff" in the British Isles?  Rough? or something else?

Joe Bausch

Re: Pinehurst - why not just call it rough?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »
I just received my email notification of the subject of your post while watching the HON vs ECU World Cup game.  And I wondered how Pinehurst conditions for the soccer field pitch would be received.   ;)

That was a wonderful volley from the native area!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
Last week during the USO the P.C. word was 'sandscape'. Which is silly.

As you say, just call it rough. The bonus is that by doing so it might change people's conception of rough as something more than just slightly taller fw turf.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »
You can't call it rough and then tell resort guests to play it as a lateral hazard when faced with a lost ball. They would never stop looking for a ball in the "rough".

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
You can't call it rough and then tell resort guests to play it as a lateral hazard when faced with a lost ball. They would never stop looking for a ball in the "rough".

Good point.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »
It is not played as a lateral hazard at Pinehurst; the scrub is through the green. Like rough.

Bob

Carl Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
It is not played as a lateral hazard at Pinehurst; the scrub is through the green. Like rough.

Bob

I think JK's point was that for resort guests it's marked as a lateral hazard (though not for the USGA Opens).  Personally, I have no idea how it's marked for resort guests, but I would assume that JK knows what he's talking about.  (I'm sure others here know more than I do, but I've just clicked off an e-mail to Pinehurst to ask the question.  The auto-response said they'd get back to me asap after the tournament is over and they have more time to respond to general inquiries.)  Beyond that, however, I question whether calling it rough on TV would change how resort guests deal with balls hit into it, whether it's marked as a lateral hazard or not.  Regarding the cost of balls abandoned in the rough/lateral hazard, I wouldn't think the resort guest would be concerned with that, given what it costs to play the place. ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:48:23 AM by Carl Johnson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
I am speculating that in the future the resort will request that lost balls be played as a lateral hazard. It is the current policy at Streamsong for pace of play reasons.

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
I don't know that golf would distinguish it from fairway. " Through the green "  should work.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
I have not heard that the Resort will designate the scrub areas as lateral hazards. I would be curious to see confirmation.

It would be a bad idea if they do for two main reasons. First, there will be fewer lost balls than you got in P2's older Bermuda roughs, thus less need for relief. Second, more often than not (but not always) it will be easier to advance your ball out of the scrub than out of the older Bermuda roughs. But that is negated if you designate those areas as hazards and you are barred from grounding your club.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
Bob,

At Streamsong, and many other courses, you can still ground your club you just toss a ball out where you entered if you lose a ball. It's a modified local rule to prevent people from walking back to the tee or hitting provisionals when the possibility of a lost ball exists.

I was in a tournament at Streamsong when it was put in effect. Thank God as I was paired with multiple 20+ handicaps.

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
There is no such rule at Pinehurst.  Kavanaugh is just speculating/trolling.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »

It's a great local rule. Not every ball that can be found is worth looking for. Just drop one where it entered the gunch and move on.

Paul Gray

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 04:24:50 AM »
So call it rough with you can treat as a lateral hazard. If you're on a little holiday knocking a ball around I fail to see why the definition is important.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
I am speculating that in the future the resort will request that lost balls be played as a lateral hazard. It is the current policy at Streamsong for pace of play reasons.

Sorry, I guess I misread your original post.  From the way it was worded, I thought you meant that was the practice now - not a speculation about the future.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 08:52:56 AM »

It's a great local rule. Not every ball that can be found is worth looking for. Just drop one where it entered the gunch and move on.

But then you wouldn't really be playing Pinehurst No. 2, would you?  Pay all that money and not get the experience?  Crazy.

BCrosby

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »
The USGA keeps a stat called 'Cost of Rough'. You take the average score on a hole for players who found the rough and measure against the average score of those who hit the fw.

What they found is that CofR in the '99 and '05 Opens at P2 was about a third of a stroke. (The rough in'05 was slightly more penal than in '99).

The CofR for '14 was slightly less than '99 or '05. (About .28 strokes a hole if I recall correctly. Less than a third of a stroke.)

In short, the scrub/rough this year was easier to play out of than typical Bermuda roughs found in tournies in the SE. (This is for the best players in the world. I don't know if the same result would hold for bogey golfers. I'm also very curious to see the CofR for the women this week.)

Also interesting is that scoring in '14 was not much different from the scoring in previous Opens at P2. Which raises a question - if players were less penalized by the scrub/rough this year (and more hit the fw as well), but overall scoring remained constant, where did the added difficulty come from?

My guess is that the extra strokes came came from the browned-out, extremely tight lies in the green surrounds. Getting up and down was harder in '14, requiring different kinds of shots than the pros are used to playing. I'm reminded of Pete Dye saying that if you get the Pros to thinking, you've got 'em. Only Kaymer seemed to figure out that you leave your wedge in the bag for those shots.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »
Payne was wearing a pull over when he won. That says soft greens to me.

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »

It says cool temperatures to me...I remember that the course was damp in the final round of the '99 Open, but I don't think that translates to soft greens. Maybe soft by current standards, but not soft by Tour standards.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:14:52 AM by Brian Hoover »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »

It says cool temperatures to me...

See for yourself. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGzvAndolc Payne takes a country club divot on his 70 some yardage third shot on 18.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
So call it rough with you can treat as a lateral hazard. If you're on a little holiday knocking a ball around I fail to see why the definition is important.

Paul,

is there any holiday golf in the US anymore? I thought they had to return a card for every round played whether in a competition or not.

Jon

Ken Moum

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »

Paul,

is there any holiday golf in the US anymore? I thought they had to return a card for every round played whether in a competition or not.

Jon

We do post ever round, but pretty much all the guys I play with don't play the ball down, even in the rough, and they NEVER play lost balls as stroke and distance.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Paul Gray

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »

Paul,

Jon

Bizarre concept, is it not?

I wonder what I'd be expected to do with my five holes after work with only myself as a partner.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »

Paul,

Jon

I wonder what I'd be expected to do with my five holes after work with only myself as a partner.

Duckworth-Lewis  ;D

Ken

Is that not against the rules?

Jon

Ken Moum

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »

Paul,

Jon

No need to post.

Per the USGA Handicap Manual:

5-1. Acceptability of Scores

Fair handicapping depends upon full and accurate information regarding a player's potential scoring ability as reflected by a complete scoring record. Every player must be responsible for returning all acceptable scores, as defined in this section. For handicap purposes, all Section 4 adjustments, including Equitable Stroke Control, must be applied to all scores including tournament scores.

a. Scores To Post

To post a 9-hole score, the player must play 7 to 12 holes, and at least 7 holes must be played in accordance with the principle of the Rules of Golf.  To post an 18-hole score, the player must play at least 13 holes in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf. (See Decisions 5-1a/3 through 5-1a/5.)

FWIW, I think that posting all rounds is a primary contributor to the fact that our system is broken.  NO ONE I know is satisfied with our system, whether their issue is vanity handicaps or sandbaggers, the system DOES NOT achieve the goal allowing platers of disparate ability compete on a reasonably even basis.

FWIW, the send biggest reason it doesn't work is that the difference in course rating and slope between hard courses and easy courses doesn't begin to approach the real difference in player's scores.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back