News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Spivey

I'm traveling to Cincy this weekend for a family reunion.  My brother (a very infrequent golfer) and I are going to try and play on Friday, weather permitting.  We'll be staying in Fairfield and are looking for a place to play a fun, casual "brother" round.

We're looking at either Shaker Run (which we played together several years ago and enjoyed) and Walden Pond (because it's really close).  My brother is not a GCA guy, so the "quality" of the course is not our prime concern.  We want to have fun, not take 5+ hours to play and for the course to be in decent shape.  Any feedback?

Also, does the Elks Club take any public play?  I looked at the website and the course looked interesting.  I never played golf growing up, but I've driven by that course 1000 times.

Thanks.

Donovan Childers

Re: Current Cincinnati course conditions and recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
If you are talking about Hamilton Elks, I think that you can get on. If you are an Elk then there should be no problem at all.

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
Will-Hamilton Elks offers tee times through Golfnow.com. Try to make sure you play the original eighteen (designed by Donald Ross). There is a third nine that Mike Hurdzan did a while back. The original eighteen sits to the East of the clubhouse and is worth a play. The original eighteen is nicely routed and I thought it was fun to play.

Between Walden Ponds and Shaker Run, I would go with Shaker. It is a solid course, not great. Walden Ponds is fine but it is surrounded by housing and has a few oddball holes on it (probably occasioned by the need to route around the housing).

Will Lozier

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
Didn't know this course existed and it looks like it might have lost a bit of it's Ross character.  But, they seem to be offering a free round for thos interested in membership - http://www.hamiltonelksgolfclub.com/.  Looks somewhat interesting and, if it's anything like Portsmouth Elks, it would be interesting.

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Walden does have a ton of housing, but though I agree it has a couple of goofy holes, I like the actual course better than Shaker (though I haven't played Shaker in a long time). Walden is also probably a little lighter on the wallet if that matters to you. I haven't played there in years though so I don't know what conditions are like.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
 8)  Why not head up 27 to Hueston Woods on north side of Oxford or Indian Ridge on south side?  Both get the job done
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Will Spivey

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback -- please keep it coming!  Man, I haven't been to Hueston Woods in nearly 30 years!  We plan to play on Friday and are leaning toward Hamilton Elks, the Ross 18.  If we do I'll take some pictures to post.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »
Course conditions have been good where I've played in town. It's been pretty hot and humid this week, bit things are still looking good.

You shouldn't have a problem getting on Hamilton Elks; through GolfNow, would be easiest. Original Ross 18 is a must. The Hurdzan 9 is mostly forgettable.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:40:02 PM »
Hamilton Elks is in excellent shape. Has the bones of a really good golf course but has definitely had some character taken out of it. That would still be my recommendation. I don't like Shaker Run at all, Walden is solid if not unspectacular.

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
 8) I also assume you'll be having some Skyline... :o ::) :-[
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
You could play the South course at Fairfield Greens if you don't want to go far, it has some fun holes and is quite walkable. Sharon Woods is also pretty close to Fairfield and a fairly decent county course. I think Hamilton Elks sells tee times on Golfnow, so I am sure they would be open to outside play.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tom Allen

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
I suggest Hamilton Elks as well.  Regardless of weather, the course, especially the greens, are always in top shape.

Weatherwax has 36 Art Hills holes up north (play it while it is still a golf course--I would not expect it to last another year).

Shaker is coming around conditioning-wise, and I really like that course.

I played Walden Ponds earlier this year, and it was good shape too.

Will Spivey

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  On Friday, my brother and I played Hamilton Elks.  We tried to book through Golf Now and nothing was available.  I called the course directly as was declined as I'm not an Elk.  I quick call to the pro at my home club who placed a call to the the course and we were on.  $35 for 18.  We played the Red and White, which are the Ross holes. 

As discussed here, the course was in great shape, in spite of a tremendous rainstorm Thursday evening.  We arrived at 8 a.m for our 8:20 tee time and we were the only people there.  The very nice folks in the pro shop told no one else was on the course, and to tee off whenever we'd like.  I enjoyed the course and playing golf with my brother (which happens much too infrequently).  We never waited on a shot, and didn't even see anyone else other than grounds crew for most of the day.

Due to the rain the fairways were very soft, but in immaculate condition.  I asked after the round how firm the course usually played and I'm not sure they knew what I was really asking.  Based on the color I suspect the course is very well (over) watered.  The greens, again softened by the rain, were in very good shape.

The course has a nice, intimate routing, at least within the two respective 9's.  Shades of Ross are clearly evident though I suspect much of the original charm has been lost.  The fairways are quite narrow, and generally tree-lined.  The rough was very manageable, but trees did create issues.  I rather liked the par 3's.  I took a couple of pictures with my iPhone, and hopefully I'll get them uploaded and posted here.

Thanks for all for the input.  If in the area I would say Hamilton Elks is definitely worth a play, and an excellent value.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  On Friday, my brother and I played Hamilton Elks.  We tried to book through Golf Now and nothing was available.  I called the course directly as was declined as I'm not an Elk.  I quick call to the pro at my home club who placed a call to the the course and we were on.  $35 for 18.  We played the Red and White, which are the Ross holes. 

As discussed here, the course was in great shape, in spite of a tremendous rainstorm Thursday evening.  We arrived at 8 a.m for our 8:20 tee time and we were the only people there.  The very nice folks in the pro shop told no one else was on the course, and to tee off whenever we'd like.  I enjoyed the course and playing golf with my brother (which happens much too infrequently).  We never waited on a shot, and didn't even see anyone else other than grounds crew for most of the day.

Due to the rain the fairways were very soft, but in immaculate condition.  I asked after the round how firm the course usually played and I'm not sure they knew what I was really asking.  Based on the color I suspect the course is very well (over) watered.  The greens, again softened by the rain, were in very good shape.

The course has a nice, intimate routing, at least within the two respective 9's.  Shades of Ross are clearly evident though I suspect much of the original charm has been lost.  The fairways are quite narrow, and generally tree-lined.  The rough was very manageable, but trees did create issues.  I rather liked the par 3's.  I took a couple of pictures with my iPhone, and hopefully I'll get them uploaded and posted here.

Thanks for all for the input.  If in the area I would say Hamilton Elks is definitely worth a play, and an excellent value.

That is why so many golf courses are failing. You are a knowledgeable out of town golfer who was interested in a course time has passed by (such that  nobody else even bothered to play that day.) Unfortunately, you had to resort to having your pro call them. I wonder if they had even heard of your home course ::).

Donovan Childers

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »

That is why so many golf courses are failing. You are a knowledgeable out of town golfer who was interested in a course time has passed by (such that  nobody else even bothered to play that day.) Unfortunately, you had to resort to having your pro call them. I wonder if they had even heard of your home course ::).
Many golf courses may be failing, but I don't think that is the case here. This is basically a Private course that is owned by a charitable organization " BPO Elks" I'm fairly sure that this chapter has enough money to keep the course totally private if they wanted, and only let on other Elks from across the country if they wanted. They may offer a few times here and there to the public on golf now, but they are not operated as a public course.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »
Will,

I didn't necessarily mean the specific course was failing, just that the attitude of courses with limited revenue stream have toward easy hassle free revenue.

Donovan Childers

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »
Will,

I didn't necessarily mean the specific course was failing, just that the attitude of courses with limited revenue stream have toward easy hassle free revenue.

I think that you meant this comment for me.  It just appeared to me that you were commenting more specific to this course rather than courses in general. I guess I just took it the wrong way.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »
Oh sorry Donovan. Yeah, I have no issue when (staying in Cincy) Camargo says sorry it just doesn't work with our rules. In fact, I have had that very phone call from Camargo, and the pro was so kind and generous with his time. What bugs me is when you call a struggling club up, and ask politely if it might be possible to play, and they are not nearly as polite back. I just wait until they are semi-private ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back