News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: Think about these numbers
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
Agree with Howard,

Poor viewership has to do with two things for the most part:

1. No Tiger. Exactly why the Masters took a beating.
2. No tension, no close match going into the last day.

In addition:

3. World Cup, the biggest sporting even the world.

Had nothing to do with conditions.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
It seems to me that the ratings are suffering from the lack of a dominating player and regular competitors who are nipping at his heels. Going back decades, the popularity of the game seemed to depend on this combination. With Phil fading, Tiger ailing and different young guys winning on only an episodic basis, the game isn't as compelling to the casual fans that make the numbers spike. We need somebody to start winning multiple tournaments in exciting fashion.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Bowen

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
Americans don't like watching Germans win their open.  Especially in a landslide.  Lets not blame the course.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
It seems to me that the ratings are suffering from the lack of a dominating player and regular competitors who are nipping at his heels. Going back decades, the popularity of the game seemed to depend on this combination. With Phil fading, Tiger ailing and different young guys winning on only an episodic basis, the game isn't as compelling to the casual fans that make the numbers spike. We need somebody to start winning multiple tournaments in exciting fashion.

Ratings suffer because golf is basically a boring sport to watch.  The tours do very little mix it up some and try to entertain the customer.  We need a proper 100 strong world tour with several divisions of guys fighting to get to the big tour.  Golf has for too long been US centric.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

BCowan

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »

Ratings suffer because golf is basically a boring sport to watch.  The tours do very little mix it up some and try to entertain the customer.  We need a proper 100 strong world tour with several divisions of guys fighting to get to the big tour.  Golf has for too long been US centric.  

Ciao  

Please.  Nothing is stopping or preventing other tours from growing.  People like other sports, and i don't want the lowest common denominators deciding what direction golf goes.  I'm frankly turned off by the tour(s) and i consider myself a hardcore fan.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:24:12 PM by BCowan »

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »

Ciao  

Please.  Nothing is stopping or preventing other tours from growing.  People like other sports, and i don't want the lowest common denominators deciding what direction golf goes.  I'm frankly turned off by the tour(s) and i consider myself a hardcore fan. 

B

Its no skin off my nose as I don't buy into pro golf - I only saw a hnadful of shots from Pinehurst - the US Open doesn't interest me enough to seek it out.  But I think the writing is on the wall.  Something has to change because the pro golf product is boring.  In the long run, the tours will be better off with one proper world tour and less focus in the US. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Paul Gray

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
I've long been of the opinion that week after week of US Tour events is only slightly less dull than the European equivalent. Something needs to happen to shake things up, hopefully something which sees the very best players playing the very best courses.

I realise now that I'm moving into a fantasy realm but wouldn't it be good if, much like tennis, we had distinct parts of the season. Just think, Augusta et al in April, links golf around the time of the Open Championship, Australia in the winter. I can dream.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »

Ciao  

I'd like to see a 12-man team playoff series with x-number of teams playing each other in a Ryder Cup style series of matches. For example, you could have matches each week like New York vs London, Edinburgh vs Madrid, Orlando vs Melbourne, etc. The whole series would terminate with a World Champion team. Wouldn't that be exciting and generate a lot of TV eyeballs?

The draft of players would be amazing!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back