News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Bearer

I have seen many posts on the "best" practice facilities and discussions on their importance.  I would appreciate knowing about any clubs that have recently (within last 2 years?) either re-built or significantly invested in improvements to their facilities. 

Certainly the trend is to design nice practice facilities in new designs and I'm trying to find out how many existing clubs have decided to invest in their facilities and why.  Any studies or articles written on this topic would be very much appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

Bruce

Jon Cavalier

Merion has installed a state of the art practice facility since the Open.  You can see it on Google Earth near the 16th hole.

Aronimink also just put in a gorgeous short game area that is supposed to provide the player with the ability to replicate nearly every shot on the course inside 40 yards (or so I am told).
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Joe_Tucholski

I figure there aren't enough posts about Pinehurst right now but in 2012 Pinehurst changed the routing a bit on course #1 in order to recreate a new practice facility.

Pete Balzer

Maketewah In Cincy- Quite an investment -  http://www.maketewah.com/

Part of the cost may have been financed by Xavier U.

http://golfrange.org/2013-graa-top-50-private-facilities-2/# 

JimB

Work has yet to begin but Farmington Country Club in Va. has approved a plan to build a major practice facility and ten hole short course on the grounds of their existing "east" nine.

Scott Warren

Practice facilities have been a big part of the renovations being made at Bonnie Doon.

Reclaiming the former tip allowed the limited-length range to be extended to 250m and fora short game area to be built that allows shots up to 80m with chipping areas, bunkers and a huge green that resembles those on the course.

The re-routing of the course will also allow another short game warm-up area near the first tee.

It's something that helps to attract quality golfers to join the club.

Mike_Young

Chechessee Creek did so last Summer...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Edward Moody

Austin Country Club is redoing their short game area as we speak.

Mark Chaplin

Scott - the very reason I lost interest in joining NGLA.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

Mark,

I'd always prefer to practice on the course, but when you do in excess of 40,000 rounds a year that isn't always possible.

But special practice areas make practice fun. See: Pine Valley.

Bruce Bearer

Thanks for all the responses so far.  Anyone else know of a major practice area renovation/rebuild?

Anthony_Nysse

Were in hither middle of ours now. Going to be a chipping green with 2 bunkers and the ability to practice 75yds shots, then a precision area with several target greens and the greens on the range are being reconfigured and flattened. Ron Forse is going the work
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back